Wireless Routers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Routers

My Netgear Router gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking for a replacement BUT .......

There are quite a few other wireless networks round here and I now suspect that the problems I had with using a wireless connection with my old company laptop were due to interference rather than the crap laptop (They've replaced it with a shiny new Fujitsu which also had wireless connection problems until the router fell over totally)

So having started looking at routers I find myself in a bit of a quandary - if the advertising is to be believed then a draft n (perhaps dual band) router may provide a solution but I'm having difficulty finding any current reviews or tests that directly compare draft n routers.

Has anybody got any comments or advice ???

Life is too important to take seriously !

i replaced my old Belkin with a new belkin N router cause my wireless connections were being lost from my xbox and 2 wireless mac computers, all running fine with new router. My network picks up others but it hasn't been an issue so far.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

My Netgear Router gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking for a replacement BUT .......

There are quite a few other wireless networks round here and I now suspect that the problems I had with using a wireless connection with my old company laptop were due to interference rather than the crap laptop (They've replaced it with a shiny new Fujitsu which also had wireless connection problems until the router fell over totally)

So having started looking at routers I find myself in a bit of a quandary - if the advertising is to be believed then a draft n (perhaps dual band) router may provide a solution but I'm having difficulty finding any current reviews or tests that directly compare draft n routers.

Has anybody got any comments or advice ???

i may be able to help you fix your wireless.

you really have a few options, but ill try to keep it brief

there are 2 main types of wireless. the type that uses 2.4ghz (802.11b and 802.11g), and the type that uses 5ghz (802.11a). the 2.4 is way more popular at the minute.

first, the 2.4 has 11 channels, but only 3 non overlapping channels. this means that if someone is using channel 1, then this will interfere with every channel up to 5 and so forth. channel 2 interferes with channels 1 to 6 etc etc.
      the three non overlapping channels are 1,6 and 11.
      so if no one is using channels 7 - 11 then use channel 11 and you will be interference free!

the less popular 5ghz band:
      this has many channels, and every one does not overlap with the next available channel. so if you can use this, the chance of interference is way less.

thirdly there is 802.11n. this is not yet ratified, which means vendors can do what they like and call it 802.11n. vendors equipment may not work with another vendors equipment. so if you are going to use this, then i advise that you choose both an access point and a adapter to match together.

if you have windows xp, then you can use a program called net stumbler to view the wireless networks in the area, what frequencies they are using and how many seperate antennas are using the same SSID.

i cant physically use 802.11b/g in my home anymore because there are too many other people using it.
      what i use is powerline. these are plugs that you plug into the mains, and connect network cables from your pc to the mains, and use the household wiring as ethernet.

i have a lot of fun setting up wireless. my most recent install was an office just off green park. the setup was six access points. there were two seperate SSIDs. one for the 5ghz and one for the 2.4ghz. this was centrally managed by a controller and the setup was designed for conferences for guests to the office, and employees to carry their laptops from their desks into conferences and not drop the connection whilst they associated to the next access points.

ps. dont buy belkin equipment.
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

oh i forgot to add, 802.11a/b/g are all half duplex communication.

this means that at any given time, ONLY one device can either send or recieve data.
        imagine if you have 5 devices connected, and only one of them can send OR recieve at a given point in time.
        obviously this happens quite quick.

the new, un-ratified standards can use full duplex communication ie 802.11n.
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Think I have spare netgear router if you need it. If so let me know and I'll try to dig it out.
          My other cars a QUAD
          (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
          http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Cheers guys !

A bit more detail for the sake of clarity .....

The router has been iffy on wireless for some considerable time but now the fast ethernet connections have fallen over as well.

The two desktops are wire connected and the wifi side is only used for the company laptop at the moment (Doubtless we'll eventually give in to the kids demands for laptops).

At times there are as many as a dozen wireless networks in range of our old router and one of our neighbours also had wireless issues (He's now ditched his router as his kids have left home and he only needs a single connection) which is why I suspect interference. We've got Dect phones and bluetooth mobiles in the house but nothing else.

Tony's picked up on my logic in going for the dual band - 5GHz is comparitively new so there won't be so many people using it (and it's a sight more expensive than the 2.4GHz models !). Fortunately my laptop came with a built in dual band capability (Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN) and the newer routers are generally compliant with v2.0 of the draft N spec so I'm hopeful that there won't be a problem.

The real issues are that I'm not 100% certain that I have to go to draft N and since I started looking at routers I'm being seduced by the extra functionality - gigabit ethernet and USB connectivity at the router is rather tempting ! The downside is that the price goes up accordingly ......

As an aside, what's the issues with Belkin and Netgear kit as I've been advised to avoid both brands ?

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
            X