Greenlaning insurance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    I know what you mean mate. You're in a fortunate position.

Personally, owning my 4x4 would be about overlanding if I could afford it, so greenlaning and an occasional trip abroad will be as close as I can get.

However, if money was no object, offroad racing certainly appeals! I would give YOUR left arm for this truck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvnsPU2M7ZE
    Dread to think of the cost of the suspension on that £5k / £10k a corner?

Competition may not ne so far out of your reach as you think you know, the single biggest expense will be the trailer to carry it on. A vehicle built to your initial standard or driving will be relatively cheap (I'm not knocking your driving, I'm saying it takes two / three years to gain experience)

Comment

Originally posted by rodp View Post
      As for offroading your road motor, if you intend to win you have to go as slow as possible but as fast as neccessary, and sometimes, as fast as neccessary breaks the motor.

Everyone to their own, just enjoy it.
      Rod
      Your missing the point of this thread, the offroading that virtually 100% of this forum is about is driving your street truck around offroad, its not competing to win anything, just the satisfaction of playing around on more challenging terrain than the street. I can't remember the last time my truck came home on a AA truck after a days greenlaning, or at a pay site, and anyone here will tell you we've not missed out on any fun doing it.

You can't just post up...
      One more thing, don't forget you can't offroad a road motor, it'll end in tears. If you're running on a budget stay on the tarmac.
      .....its just ballcocks, we've all been doing it for years.

I would love to do some proper competative driving, but i wouldn't do it in a truck i have to drive home in, apart from some of the milder trials stuff. Money permiting i'll have a Milner-esq toyota race truck one day. Thats competative motorsport, where you have risk breaking stuff to win.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Please search for Drumclog photos on this site. Have a look at what a road going and Monday morning required Surf can get up to on a Sunday. Tell me that is not offroading and you will be laughed at.

I now am luck and have a dedicated off road toy and trailer to pull it however, my brother Kerrsurf has not.
        His yota has been abused round Drumclog ect for years now. With simple maintance it has taken him to work every day.
        Granted it failed it's MOT on Friday.

Why, because he forgot to fit the fog light that lives on the top shelf of the garage.
        Brian

Comment

.....its just ballcocks, we've all been doing it for years.

I would love to do some proper competative driving, but i wouldn't do it in a truck i have to drive home in,
          Riiiiiiight,okaaaaaay. You say it's perfectly ok to thrash around off road in the motor you HAVE to go to work in Monday, it's no problem as there's absolutely no risk of damage, you've done it for years. So what's with the above quote???

I think we're at cross purposes here in both our definitions of offroading and the definition of no risk to road motors.
          Offroading always carries some risk of damage, unless it's a gentle greenlane or track. No problem with those, I like greenlaning and if they're gentle and scenic all the better. Personally I wouldn't call them offroading (I said personally before anyone gets irate), same as I wouldn't call a gentle stroll up a bank in the local woods hill walking

Secondly, I suppose what condition you want to keep your road motor in makes a big difference to whether you offroad it or not.
          Now I will admit here to thinking back some 30 odd years and remembering just how bad my road motors must have looked, both inside and out, after a day out. I do remember not giving a t**s what anyone thought or how uncormfortable it was driving around in half a tone of wet mud for a few days.
          I also remember the hassle of repairing them in the dark late at night ready for work next day, which leads me back to (in general) you can't offroad a road motor.

Lastly, as some of you have said, I DO look at offroading from a competition point of view, it's what I did for a long time. I can't help it, it's me. I also did motorcycle trials for a long time so my whole life has been into competition where you set out to win, in the mud, therefore that's my outlook. If it annoys anyone, sorry but that's me and I'll never class playing on a two foot slippery slope offroading, fun maybe and a good laugh now and again, but not offroading.

If I post to this thread again I shall be accused of trolling (as if) so I'm staying out of it now

Comment

See Yoshie's post above before talking about two foot slippery slopes.

There is no skill in breaking something. Any fool can do that.

Comment

sorry mate, but you're not just in the minority here, you ARE the minority.

Nearly every other member on here (other than a few shiny club members) does offroad their road vehicle. If you got out your arse for a minute i'd actually be quite interested to hear what type of competing you're doing and how you got into it

I'm assuming it's BORC or some sort of cross country at least. Not really my thing but interesting nonetheless. I could see myself trialling, but what i would be most interested in would be winch challenges, and i'd be seriously interested in giving that a go if it gets easier to get into, but unfortunately it's attitudes like yours that keep people like me looking to get into competition from doing so.

I would agree you would be a fool to compete in a daily driver in anything other than an event specifically tamed for daily drivers, but a roadgoing motor that is not a daily driver is the vehicle that almost every competitive offroad driver begins to compete in. That's what the RTV and standard classes are for.

However you can certainly get off the tarmac and across a lot of challenging terrain in a daily driver with care. This is the grassroots of every discipline, it is offroading, and without it competitive offroading would be dead in a generations time.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

excuse my talkin ballicks, its late an ive had a few, BUT, some people have "proper" off roaders (for off road, obviously ) and good on em, some people have small, light, 2wd shopin/work cars, an good on em too, then theres "us lot", who for the most part have untouched or slightly modified road legal 4x4's. we go to work in them, get the shoppin in, take the young 'uns to school, then do a little "off road" weekends. if not, then why the hell are we driving round in 50/50 road/off road orientated thingymajigas, with the aerodynamics of a bus stop, with 20mpg and the added weight, maintainance of 4wd etc etc etc to look forward to.

the surf aint a proper, as in PROPER offroader. long wheelbase, big old overhangin' arse etc etc, but, it has more gound clearance than yer average, and it does have 4wd. its got to fit into some sort of "niche" somewhere, and it just happens to be what 99.9% of everybody on here are after.

what the hell am i talking about? im really tired now, and rather drunk. why am i typing this?

i dont really get why theres an argument/discussion about it all

ps. i off road every day. across the grass out back of my house. its never landed on its roof yet. fingers crossed.
                Last edited by blakarm; 23 February 2009, 04:09.

Comment

heres another one. yes, im still ranting!
                  why do manufacturers make road legal mud & a/t tyres if your not gona drive it home after youve got it dirty?

blah blah.

goodnight.

Comment

Originally posted by blakarm View Post
                    ps. i off road every day. across the grass out back of my house. its never landed on its roof yet. fingers crossed.
                    Remove your A.R.B's and put your spare tyre on the roof. That'll sort that omission out.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                      Remove your A.R.B's and put your spare tyre on the roof. That'll sort that omission out.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

what the hell am i talking about? im really tired now, and rather drunk. why am i typing this?
                        cos you can

i dont really get why theres an argument/discussion about it all
                        Because someone said if you go offroad, you'll break your truck. Which was worth arguing about, as its tosh!

Comment

Have you tried NFU Mutual? Apologies if this has been suggested already.
                          That'll fit!

Comment

Answering, just chatting, not being a knob...

Riiiiiiight,okaaaaaay. You say it's perfectly ok to thrash around off road in the motor you HAVE to go to work in Monday, it's no problem as there's absolutely no risk of damage, you've done it for years. So what's with the above quote???
                            You've lost me? I said you can offroad your road truck with very little chance of damaging it, even at a tough technical offorad site, depending on how you drive. Like we have for years

I think we're at cross purposes here in both our definitions of offroading and the definition of no risk to road motors.
                            Maybe, or you just can't except that I can have lots fun, get plenty muddy, and negotiate black runs without damaging a road truck. Which I say you can. and drving around a pay is offroading, you can't deny that, surely?

Offroading always carries some risk of damage, unless it's a gentle greenlane or track. No problem with those, I like greenlaning and if they're gentle and scenic all the better. Personally I wouldn't call them offroading (I said personally before anyone gets irate), same as I wouldn't call a gentle stroll up a bank in the local woods hill walking
                            It does, but not much if you're easy on the throttle and are man enough to back out of a tough bit, rather than keep beating your truck on it.

Secondly, I suppose what condition you want to keep your road motor in makes a big difference to whether you offroad it or not.
                            Now I will admit here to thinking back some 30 odd years and remembering just how bad my road motors must have looked, both inside and out, after a day out. I do remember not giving a t**s what anyone thought or how uncormfortable it was driving around in half a tone of wet mud for a few days.
                            I also remember the hassle of repairing them in the dark late at night ready for work next day, which leads me back to (in general) you can't offroad a road motor.
                            I'm not worried how things look either, but its got to be legal(ish), thats all.

Lastly, as some of you have said, I DO look at offroading from a competition point of view, it's what I did for a long time. I can't help it, it's me. I also did motorcycle trials for a long time so my whole life has been into competition where you set out to win, in the mud, therefore that's my outlook. If it annoys anyone, sorry but that's me and I'll never class playing on a two foot slippery slope offroading, fun maybe and a good laugh now and again, but not offroading.
                            Cool, I want to play like that to, but as I was trying to say in last post, thats not the sort of offroading you can do and reliably get to work next day in the samer vehicle, as winnning is more important than driving home. But offorading isn't just competing, its getting off the tarmac and using the truck for how it was designed.
                            If I post to this thread again I shall be accused of trolling (as if) so I'm staying out of it now
                            Not if you have something to say, carry on. If your just going say, "offroading is only launching you truck into a hole at full chat..." you're going get people dissagreeing with you, and deserve it.

Comment

It's gripped, it's sorted, let's off-road!
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPERR2aybc

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                                i have no arb's, but have seen enough to know wheel on the roofs not a good idea. apart from looking like a t##t.
                                Originally posted by TonyN View Post

Because someone said if you go offroad, you'll break your truck. Which was worth arguing about, as its tosh!

hmm. yes. sobriety has not changed my opinion that theres a nob somewheres about.

Comment

Working...
                                X