yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GWH? Chemists? Ideal temp to heat WVO to to break the bond between water and oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GWH? Chemists? Ideal temp to heat WVO to to break the bond between water and oil

Ok, the waste oil I get is very clean and relatively dry but does have suspended water present when I do the hot pan test.

Currently I heat it up to 55 degrees (the highest the '60 degrees+' thermostat takes it up to) for a few hours then leave it for a couple of weeks.
    Even after this I still have suspended water present which surprised me as I would expect the time to allow for seperation even if the heating didn't.

I now have a replacement stat which will allow for temps up to 85 degrees.

I presume there is a temperature which separates the bond between the water and oil particles but on the veg forum there doesnt seem to be anything definitive (most do between 60 and 70 degrees, some up to 90, a few go the whole hog, go over 100 and let the water boil off - too scary, no thanks!)

Any ideas? Also does it make a difference leaving it at this temp for a certain length of time. I would guess that if there is a temp that causes water and oil to separate then as long as you assume that all the oil in the drum is the same temp then as soon as it reaches that you can switch off?

Or... is it more about changing the viscosity of the oil which makes the water more likely to drop purely due to its weight? In which case I guess the temp is less of an issue than time? If this is so, is it better to have a lagged drum to slow cooling or unlagged to allow it to cool more quickly?

NB
    Any female members wishing to partake of biosurfs patented 70 degree warm oil skin conditioning plunge baths please PM me. Charge £30 per hour
    Cheryl cole says 'After using the biosurf oil bath, I feel distictly chipper'

dont it seperate under pressure?
    or iam i wrong ?
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

I heat my wvo to around 65-70'c and then switch of heater. I allow my circulation pump to run from bottom of tank to top of tank, allowing the outlet to kind spray the oil over the surface of the heated oil aiding evaporation.
      When you heat the oil - the water molecules expand and begin to evaporate and rise to the top of the oil and sort of "fizz" ever so gently - akin to flat cola. My tank is lagged in three layers of bubble wrap and two outer layers of foam backed aluminium foil (laminate flooring cheap underlay). I also let the lid of the heating barrel (45 gal drum with removable lid) sit slightly off the drum to allow water vapour to escape but also maintain the heat in the drum above the oil.
      I have a 3kw immersion heater with the stat disabled (only got to 40' - even when set to max 65'c !!) and reley on a wickes cylinder stat to control heating.
      The oil is allowed to cool for a few days down to 15'c befor pumping through 3 inline filters into my finished holding tank.
      I test my oil by taking a sample in a clean dry jam jar and leaving in the fridge for a few hours - if it stays bright and clear - then all water is removed, if it starts to cloud then you have water present in emulsion which is very hard to settle out - heating is the answer in my opinion.
      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Working...
      X