ideas please rear tyre mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideas please rear tyre mount

Any ideas please will be appreciated with this little problem we have been givent a few suggestions butmore would be welcomed.
    Tow bar fine nice level pull for the caravan there is a spacer been put on no tow bar can't be touched,
    Any ideas on moving the tyre up on the bar a few inches5" for good clearance as the alko stabiliser and the caravan hand break get in the way!!!the hand breke when off is still interfering with the bottom of the tyre
    Have to keep taking the tyre off and then putting it back on when we get to our destination, keep telling the other half he will be getting old soon (now 46!!!!!!)and won't be able to lift it so much!!!!
    we think welding will have to be done and wonder if the top bar can be replaced with a straight one moving the tyre up but have to think about the bottom as that is where it clips onto the car,any one else done this
    Thanks we don't want to sling it underneath love the tyre on the back finishes the car off nicely!!
    Last edited by ian and jean; 3 May 2004, 10:41.

Can you not get a plate made up to offset where the spare bolts onto the carrier?
    Locate the plate where the spare bolts are now, with the new location a couple of inches higher
    ....................I-
    ....................I
    ..............___I- new location for spare
    ...........-I
    ............I
    ...........-I bolted to rear carrier

If you know what I mean...........should be quite easy if you have the means
    Last edited by kazam401; 3 May 2004, 10:53.

Comment

ROOFRACK is your alternative to solve your problem i think
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Think someone else had this problem and the simplest solution was to hook up/off at a slight angle to the caravan.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

I think the easiest way is to cut and reweld the wheel mounting plate on the arm. Or if you don't fancy that, make a bracket to bolt to the old wheel mounting plate with a new set of studs higher up to mount the wheel on.

Or buy smaller wheels!
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by kazam401
            Can you not get a plate made up to offset where the spare bolts onto the carrier?
            Locate the plate where the spare bolts are now, with the new location a couple of inches higher
            ....................I-
            ....................I
            ..............___I- new location for spare
            ...........-I
            ............I
            ...........-I bolted to rear carrier

If you know what I mean...........should be quite easy if you have the means

I think this would be the best way to get round your problem and you would only need to use it when towing.
            I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

can you not retro fit the under floor carrier found on other surfs?
              [FONT=Trebuchet MS][B][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4TD[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
                I think this would be the best way to get round your problem and you would only need to use it when towing.
                We thought of that but the inner part of the tyre moulds around a"something" and bolted on!!!! it would have to be cut and rewelded futher up, and ian doesn't think the tyre would sit snug as it does now, hard to explain will take a pic and put on page!!!!! neighbour just caught me taking pics of spare wheel,!! he just saig may be turned tyre around bolt a plate on, higher up andput tyre on other way around,
                Another idea to put to hubby,
                Last edited by ian and jean; 3 May 2004, 11:45.

Comment

Making plate to offset and bolting wheel other way round will sort it

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                    ROOFRACK is your alternative to solve your problem i think
                    then the back of the caravan would drag along the road!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i think reversing the wheel would look strange, it would stick out and extra 10 inches with a big gap between the wheel and the tailgate, the only real permanant solution is to leave the bar-work as it is, get the pressed steel mounting plate cut off, have a new one fabricated with the modified height, and welded back on.
                      [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

for the amount of time tou tow the cararvan i would either put it in the van or on the roof till you get to your destination. i would leave the surf as it is
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                        (")_(")

Comment

Is it not possible to modify the caravan rather than the Surf? Can the handbrake be moved out of the way?

Comment

Working...
                          X