Rear demister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear demister

Rear demister isn't working at the moment. The button works, and lights up, so the fault must be between the relay and the rear window. The terminals are attached but have no voltage, so from reading around it sounds like the wires are probably broken where they enter the tailgate.

Stripped it down a couple of days ago to have a look. All the wires from the tailgate enter a plastic cover near the bottom of the tailgate, apparently held on by 2 screws, and exit this underneath the vehicle. I've removed the 2 screws, but there's no sign of the plastic cover moving. How else is it held on? Is that where I want to be looking anyway?

I'm at a bit of a loss where to start looking for the broken wire if I can't get at the wires at all, but want to get this fixed tonight...

Thanks all!
    Andy
    http://www.surfingafrica.net

That plastic cover does 'unclip' once the 2 screws are out. (bit of a pig)

Breakages usually occur within 18" of that plastic cover..
    Hope this helps
    Alan
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

yes most probably a broken wire in that area, they always go there, get on your back under car and you should get access ok.

my rear bumper is off at present and this makes it even easier.

i am sure its a black wire with a red trace that you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by NEZ View Post
        yes most probably a broken wire in that area, they always go there, get on your back under car and you should get access ok.

my rear bumper is off at present and this makes it even easier.

i am sure its a black wire with a red trace that you're looking for.
        Correct! black and red + or white and red earth!

Alan
        www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Hi all, thanks for the replies. Wires were broken about 6 inches short of the terminals, as though they had got caught in the winding mechanism. So having got the plastic cover off, got the wires out of the shielding under the car and found the right two, turns out all I needed to do was give the terminals a tug and they came away free...
          Andy
          http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
            Correct! black and red + or white and red earth!

Alan
            ahh but which wire goes back where, looking in to the rear, mine are red and white.
            nigel
            Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

Comment

Working...
            X