Recall done, Not road worthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in which i mean, modded 4bys

( by the way, no disrepect or anything like that was aimed to anyone with that photo, was just the first thing that popped into my head when they found that many faults with your truck )

Comment

Originally posted by Antony_James View Post

There gunning for us now
      The only thing 'modded' on this list is the number plate relocation which is hardly going to cause the death of a family..

It's pretty much expected that most garages you drop your vehicle into will do its best to extract the last ounce of blood from you. Main dealers seem to do this to the nth degree, and then a bit more too..

Most of that list is due to careless maintenance - the lights should all be working. There's no reason not to replace as soon as you know they're not working (bulbs are cheap as chips - cheaper even). Oil level should have been caught as should brake fluid level.

That said I'd only be worried by these ones:

8-Excessive play in NSF wheel bearing
      9-Excessive play in NS idler arm
      10-Posible leak from steering Box, Possible F**in possible, eiter it is or it isnt FFS, How can it be a possible leak

Number 10 usually means it's all so covered in goo that it's not possible to tell where the goo comes from. Time for a jetwash and a good look around.

No expensive stuff there so alls good.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        The only thing 'modded' on this list is the number plate relocation which is hardly going to cause the death of a family..

It's pretty much expected that most garages you drop your vehicle into will do its best to extract the last ounce of blood from you. Main dealers seem to do this to the nth degree, and then a bit more too..

Most of that list is due to careless maintenance - the lights should all be working. There's no reason not to replace as soon as you know they're not working (bulbs are cheap as chips - cheaper even). Oil level should have been caught as should brake fluid level.

That said I'd only be worried by these ones:

8-Excessive play in NSF wheel bearing
        9-Excessive play in NS idler arm
        10-Posible leak from steering Box, Possible F**in possible, eiter it is or it isnt FFS, How can it be a possible leak

Number 10 usually means it's all so covered in goo that it's not possible to tell where the goo comes from. Time for a jetwash and a good look around.

No expensive stuff there so alls good.

Rob.
        8 get it done!!!!!

Comment

Yeah, probably just a case of nipping up the nut slightly.

Just noticed, they said 'NS idler'. There's only one idler, the other one is the pitman. Being Toyota 'mechanics', you'd think they'd know wouldn't you?
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Is that 'nip it up' with a socket or 'smack it up' with a chisel ? - I had to tighten my off side bearing for my MOT and the nut looked like it had never been touched by a socket. It was in a right sorry state. Will be replacing all front bearings and nuts this summer...

Rob.

Comment

Will prob just need tightened with a socket as it was just nipped up last time when i done brakes

Comment

There gunning for us now
                in which i mean, modded 4bys

Not really gunning for anyone. That truck had a catastrophic failure of a suspension component. Unfortunate and sad though it is, the guy had been messing with it and it's his fault.

Comment

What makes it heartbreaking is that the truck looks superb from the outside yet the important 'hidden' stuff was bodged... Such a waste of time and money to look the part when the running gear was left a dangerous mess.

Rob

EDIT: from what I read at the time the bloke was driving dangerously aswell so that may play a significant part in this sad story..

tbh it made me think of all the guys who've taken off their roll bars and lifted their trucks here
                  Last edited by wishbone; 11 February 2009, 00:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Cant Get Right View Post
                    Will prob just need tightened with a socket as it was just nipped up last time when i done brakes
                    Dont use a socket. You've probably got a pipe wrench somewhere... it really shouldn't be any tighter than 'just the weight of a hand on it'

Comment

tbh it made me think of all the guys who've taken off their roll bars and lifted their trucks here
                      I wont give this a longwinded response. I'll just say 'drive within a vehicles limits and you'll be fine'.

A vehicle's limits change depending on modifications, and raising suspension / removing ARBs doesn't make it more dangerous. Not appreciating the changes in handling the mods bring on does.

I drove mine with both ARBs removed, a 5" lift and 33" tyres for about a year and didn't kill myself or my family. It was sort of natural that driving style changed. I decided I preferred the ride of the vehicle with the front ARB back on, so thats how it stands.

I dunno, I just found your comment a bit preachy.

Comment

Dunno about the 'weight of a hand' on it. I set mine up with a spring gauge and was suprised how tight it had to be... Made me think about all the people on here who've had their bearings wear out after a year or so, and if they'd set up according to the manual...

Rob.

Comment

Dunno about the 'weight of a hand' on it. I set mine up with a spring gauge and was suprised how tight it had to be... Made me think about all the people on here who've had their bearings wear out after a year or so, and if they'd set up according to the manual...

Rob.
                          Well, overtightening is FAR worse than slight play. Good bearings (not worn) can be just over hand tight and have no play. When the bearing gets hot in use, it expands and tightens, then it's too tight.

Comment

Rob.
                            Absolutely.

Comment

Where's 'all the people' who had bearings wear out in a year on here? Just curious...

<edit> Oh b0llocks to it. Tighten them till your socket rounds off, or... dont fit a nut at all and have your wheels fall off.

Just use a bit of common. Tighten, check for play, drive, tighten / loosen to suit.

I dont really give a shit.
                              Last edited by Apache; 11 February 2009, 00:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                                I dunno, I just found your comment a bit preachy.

It wasn't mean't to be 'preachy'.

I had read over and over how removing the roll bars did nothing to affect the handling on this forum. When I got in a bind (rear roll bar bolt sheared so I left rear bar off for a while, and then removed front bar as the new drop links didn't turn up and I had to go on a camping holiday) I spent a week without front and rear bars and absolutely hated it. Even my wife noticed the change on the first corner from leaving home.

So I've decided not to agree with the way nearly everybody here thinks that removing the roll bars has no effect on handling.

When I saw how this guy had 'lost it' avoiding a head on (transit ?) it made me think of the 'elk test' and how this situation was similar...

Sorry if it made me look pious but I am entiltled to an opinion that differs to the forums.....

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                                X