lcd tvs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
    Do your research, and make your choice. I got a Plasma recently, as my research led me to believe, that picture quality was better than LCD, particularly for fast moving images, and that Plasma and LCD lifespans were nowadays comparable. The "burn in" effect from Plasma is also not an issue if your not showing still images and if you turn the contrast down from the default high setting.
    I got a samsung, partly based on reports and partly on price. Samsung speakers are generally seen as tinny and crap, but I didnt bother with that as I have the sound output hooked up via my stereo, pumping out of my Bose acoustimass speakers
    Im not disappointed with my Samsung plasma. If you wall mount it, bear in mind Plasma is heavier than LCD. I also put a set of those IKEA strip leds behind mine to backlight it. looks good.

Bogus
    Typical plasma TVs have a life span of 25,000 to 30,000 hours, which equates to about 3 years of 24/7 usage before the TV fades to half the original brightness. LCD TVs life span is typically 50,000-60,000 hours, which equates to about 6 years of 24/7 use. However, LCD TVs will actually last as long as its backlight does, and those bulbs can be replaced - so in essence there's nothing which can wear out. LCD TVs run about twice as long as plasma TVs. LCD TVs are therefore preferred for long-haul applications like 24/7 signage in shops
    hmm everyone says diffrent thats the prob lol

Comment

it's an LG screen and everyone knows LG make a lot of screens for more expensive brands.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

The newer generation lcd's are as good if not better than plasma screens. I have a 42" hitachi plasma on the chimney breast in the lounge and a 22" samsung lcd in the bedroom. The plasma is a great pic but the lcd is better. All tv's have a life span as electronic parts do fail. That said, they do last a lot longer than older tv's. The pic on the lcd is a lot sharper and more user adjustable than the plasma. Granted i did buy the plasma about 6 years ago and the lcd last year.
        It has been reported that plasmas will be a thing of the past as they aren't as efficient or eco friendly as lcds, how true this is i don't know but my kwh aint gone up since i had either. On older lcd's you could watch match of the day and get trails if the ball moved too far, newer ones are crystal clear. My mate just bought the 42" version of my samsung lcd, hooked it up to sky HD and the pic is one of the best i've seen to date. Personally i'd go for LCD but i do love plasmas too.
        http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
          sounds fine to me. pic is good and lots of hd ports and the like yo plug things in.
          hmm sounds good,lastly is it "1080",whatever thatmeans(mrs told me to ask lol)

Comment

We did a Which? search when we were looking to get ours. Basically, LCD is best up to about 40 inch, after which plasma seems the better bet. As to make, Panasonic got the best score, with Sony a close second. Phillips are fairly good but Samsung are regarded as the dogs droppings.

As to size, just remember to measure where you are going to put it and also to think carefully about where and how high you fix it if you're going to hang it on a wall, as putting it at the wrong angle can easily give you neck problems if you're always looking up at an un-natural angle. Also, think about where any room lights are in relation to your viewing angle as reflections off the lights can cause problems with viewed picture quality.
            Mike G

Comment

yup 1080i wot ever that means.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                thats what i was told,sumthin like when the bulb goes its several hundred to replace,ps love the projector idea but mrs doesnt
                Bulb? What bulb?

Anyways, up to about 40", LCD with a fast refresh and a high contrast ratio is best, over that Plasma is best.

Panasonic and Samsung have the least problems.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Go for 1080p not 1080i if you want a all singing all dancing pic.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                    yup 1080i wot ever that means.
                    It's the number of horizontal scan lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
                      ok so the diffrence between p and i is?

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
                        i=Interlaced
                        p=Progressive (Non Interlaced)

Comment

SAMSUNG 42" PLASMA 1080i HD with XBOX Graphics are superb
                          Attached Files
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                            ok so the diffrence between p and i is?
                            5 letters.

Comment

Interlaced and Progressive scan, the pic on a 1080p (progressive scan) doesn't pixcellate as muchas, oh read here:http://www.videotapestock.com/hd10vs10whdi.html

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                                i=Interlaced
                                p=Progressive (Non Interlaced)
                                ok yr 16ft over my head lol,wot does that mean exactly?(ps ty for explaining)

Comment

Working...
                                X