4wd question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd question

Well, can't remember the specifics of the A.D.D system offhand, and I ought to have checked why the dash light doesn't come on for 4wd yonks ago, so, does popping it into low 4wd engage the system the same way as the gear lever switch, or is that liable to be playing silly buggers too if the other method is? I know, I've no excuse.

Hi Matt

As far as i remember if you just use the button on the side it should put you in 4WD (high ratio) and if you push the lever forewards it should put you in 4WD (low ratio).

I have free wheeling hubs on mine and whilst we have the snow and ice i have left them locked so i dont have to keep getting out to do it, I just use the button as i haven't had a situation where i needed low ratio.

As to the light not coming on, i can only assume you have a fault or the bulb in the dash cluster has gone......Does the light come on when you shift into low?????

Cheers
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
      Well, can't remember the specifics of the A.D.D system offhand, and I ought to have checked why the dash light doesn't come on for 4wd yonks ago, so, does popping it into low 4wd engage the system the same way as the gear lever switch, or is that liable to be playing silly buggers too if the other method is? I know, I've no excuse.
      oh dear.................

if it fails to work in high4wd it probably wont work in low 4wd matt.
      firstly check its either working or not,you must have some snow nearby !!

if its not,start with the vacumn hoses,the 4wd button and electrical connections on the front diff/transfer box.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

The white plug on the front diff is for the indicator light on the dash.
        There are two actuators, one on the front diff and another on the transfer box. The one on the front diff locks the C/V shafts to the diff and the one on the transfer box selects low range.

Comment

How does the diff end work Vince? Is it the same 'sliding splined collar' setup as a manual hub?
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Artful_dodger View Post
            As to the light not coming on, i can only assume you have a fault or the bulb in the dash cluster has gone......Does the light come on when you shift into low?????
            No idea. I've not tried that yet. Only reason I know the light ain't coming on is because I occasionally drop it into 4wd whilst straight lining it, so dropping it into low wouldn't have been one of my better moves.

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
            oh dear.................

if it fails to work in high4wd it probably wont work in low 4wd matt.
            firstly check its either working or not,you must have some snow nearby !!
            Bugger. That's what I was fearing. We do have snow. Quite a notable bit. Just don't wanna find out it's not working when I'm stuck in it.

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            The white plug on the front diff is for the indicator light on the dash.
            There are two actuators, one on the front diff and another on the transfer box. The one on the front diff locks the C/V shafts to the diff and the one on the transfer box selects low range.
            If I switched 4wd on whilst straight lining on tarmac and felt the clunk/drag from something engaging, could that just be a partial engagement or would that suggest complete engagement of the system?

Comment

No idea. I've not tried that yet. Only reason I know the light ain't coming on is because I occasionally drop it into 4wd whilst straight lining it, so dropping it into low wouldn't have been one of my better moves.

Bugger. That's what I was fearing. We do have snow. Quite a notable bit. Just don't wanna find out it's not working when I'm stuck in it.

If I switched 4wd on whilst straight lining on tarmac and felt the clunk/drag from something engaging, could that just be a partial engagement or would that suggest complete engagement of the system?
              I think I'd do the obvious and check the bulb first...

If you get stuck, you can always get a passing Landy to tow you out

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                How does the diff end work Vince? Is it the same 'sliding splined collar' setup as a manual hub?
                The driver's side CV shaft is always connected to the diff, the passenger side is free-wheeling until vacuum is appilied to the actuator to slide the collar accross and lock the the splines on the shafts together.

Comment

The driver's side CV shaft is always connected to the diff, the passenger side is free-wheeling until vacuum is appilied to the actuator to slide the collar accross and lock the the splines on the shafts together.
                  Sounds quite an elegant way of doing it.

Comment

Thats engaged properly. The truck should 'feel' stronger as you pull away from rest too.

Comment

I think I'd do the obvious and check the bulb first...
                      Dash disassembly time then.

If you get stuck, you can always get a passing Landy to tow you out
                      Ha bl00dy ha. Git.

Comment

Thats engaged properly. The truck should 'feel' stronger as you pull away from rest too.
                        Sweet. Cheers Vince.

Comment

Dash disassembly time then.
                          Any excuse to type that word eh?

Comment

Sounds quite an elegant way of doing it.
                            I'm doing this mod to mine when I can get the truck into the workshop....
                            http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

Comment

mine is (reasonably) similair vince. i have one vacumn hose "fooling" the vsv into thinking its in 4wd.When i press the button into 4wd it engages the collar forward and sends drive to the other drive shaft.When i disengage the 4wd,the vsv loses all power (my mod) and the front prop stops turning..and the manual hubs are a graet boon as well...make it bulletproff
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X