No announcement yet.

Emigrating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked Australia a lot and I've been all over it. I've even vomited out of the back of a C-130 onto 'the outback', However, it wouldn't be my first choice of somewhere else to live.

I would heartily disagree with Mr M. Surfer and I too have spent a good two years or so there in chunks of between 3 days and 6 weeks at a time.

I've spent time in New England staying in a place called Nashua (around 40 miles North of Boston) and LOVED it. Interestingly, New Hampshire has no state tax Also stayed north NY state, Chicago, Atlanta, Northern Florida, Dallas, Albuquerque, Los Angeles, Northern and Southern Arizona, and a few other less memorable places. The only place I ever felt threatened was in a sports bar in downtown Nashua (near Boston).

My favorite place HAS to be New Mexico (Albuquerque). It is relatively unspoilt and un-American (if you know what I mean). The city is really chilled and low rise and south of there, where I stayed is beautifully picturesque if you love open space / desert. There is quite a large native american population and a fair hispanic population mixed, peacefully it seems, with the white population. The people are fantastically friendly and helpful and perhaps surprisingly for a state a lot of americans have never heard of, there is quite a lot native american and white history ! I even dated a half cherokee girl for a little while when I was working there frequently!

New Mexico is somewhere I would live at the drop of a hat if I didn't have ties to the UK. It's the place I saw stunning low mountain pasture for sale at $9999 for 10 acres, and the locals I worked with (doing the same job as me but for TRW and BAE) generally had pools, several cars, a boat and far more disposable income than me. Weather is pretty amazing. Generally about 350 days of sunshine a year, which probably explains the NM symbol is a sun. Yep, beautiful place, relatively normal people, and cheap as chips!
    Last edited by Apache; 3 February 2009, 19:31.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I have spent 3 weeks in Vegas and was swimming outdoors in March its a wicked place to visit but not live. I have been to the states 3 times and am going again in 12 weeks. I got married in Orillia Canada have been there 6 times. My brother owns a brewery in Penetanguishine. Canada is very similair to the states but the people are normal. Given the choice I would leave everything (even Lucifer) and go now.
      monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        It's full of Americans, they drive on the wrong side of the road and isn't Las Vegas really cold in the winter?
        top man, i served with them in the gulf and well oh dear
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Okey dokey, NM it is then. I only suggested LV 'cos we were watching a relocation program on the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
            I have spent 3 weeks in Vegas and was swimming outdoors in March its a wicked place to visit but not live. I have been to the states 3 times and am going again in 12 weeks. I got married in Orillia Canada have been there 6 times. My brother owns a brewery in Penetanguishine. Canada is very similair to the states but the people are normal. Given the choice I would leave everything (even Lucifer) and go now.
            Canadians are normal??? I have two words... Ice Hockey!
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              me and ed saw our first ice hockey game this last december. i had a row with a really fat bloke and told him to phuq off in the end...he kept ringing this damm bell in my ear !!...the fights were good though
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                Poof's game, you ever watched Shinty?

Saw a guy in Oban (playing in a cup final) almost lose an eye, the skin around it was burst to buggery making his eye look like it was hanging out, then complain because the medics wanted to take him to hospital! He wanted them to bandage it up and let him play on.

They don't wear crash helmets and padding, just shorts and tee shirts.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  Poof's game, you ever watched Shinty?
                  You have to remember that they're poncy Southerners though. (Apache and co.). Blowing their nose is "well 'ard" in their book.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    You have to remember that they're poncy Southerners though. (Apache and co.). Blowing their nose is "well 'ard" in their book.
                    when i pass through barnsley, in about a month or so i will come round and show you "poncy southerner"....(but a cuppa would be nice to)
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                      It's a lot tougher than shouting "ow mooch?!" everytime you try and buy a paper and find out it's all of 20p.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                        It's a lot tougher than shouting "ow mooch?!" everytime you try and buy a paper and find out it's all of 20p.
                        is it true matt's (real) last name is eckaslike....first name willy ??
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                          is it true matt's (real) last name is eckaslike....first name willy ??

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                          I was going to write some witty response to that, until I realised that I have actually started uttering the 'Barnsley warcry', (as they refer to it), recently.

I do seem to recall my last effort was asking if a keyboard was gold plated for the price being asked of it.

Comment

Working...
                          X