No announcement yet.

weird problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

realy i dont have to stop you guys havant got spear gearboxes you need to sell have you

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
      i hate to be the bearer of bad news,but if you cant see the leak,just check your rad coolant just in case the heat exchanger has burst and is allowing atf to mix with engine coolant.
      didnt think of that, thanks i will check.
      the rad looks new, so i wonder if the hoses arnt on propperly
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
        realy i dont have to stop you guys havant got spear gearboxes you need to sell have you
        take ur foot off the accellerator and press the button to release 4wd. after about a second or so it will unlcick. do the same to get into 4wd - both when you are moving.
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
          hehe you crazy mofo 30 is ok, ive done that a few times with both my trucks, i think its how you disengage that matters bth. cant remember what the speed limit to do that is though.

i forgot how good 4wd was, in this snow with 4wd on if you are trying to pull away you have about twice as much control over a normal car i reckon.
          with 4wd on, breaking, pulling away and turning works better
          think ill put it down to lack of use lol,last i used 4wd was about 15 months ago lol

Comment

No you don't have to stop to engage 4wd using the button on the side of the transfer lever, but you DO have to stop if shift the transfer lever into L4.

What's wrong with your gearbox then?

oh and it's spelt spare BTW, unless spear is a make of gearbox I haven't heard of.

Comment

well learn sumtin new every day only had my surf about 4 years still better late than never thanks oh and about the gearbox oil change is it a job worth doing

Comment

well learn sumtin new every day only had my surf about 4 years still better late than never thanks oh and about the gearbox oil change is it a job worth doing
                yes. should be done every year or so if im not wrong.. dont know anyone who does that though.
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

hey, thought i would let all know that the truck is all sorted, and going for the MOT tomorrow.

the problem was exactly as i thought - the oil cooler hose had been bodged back on, and was leaking a bit on the return pipe.

so, all new oil and i should have it back tomorrow!

MOTs are expensive now arnt they! i havnt had to pay for one for a few years since my uncle usually paid it for me, but they used to be £35.. now theyre £50!!
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

hi all, hope you are all enjoying the weather!

i had to drive to work today because there were NIL trains! no bother, 4WD works a charm with ATs

anyhow, i get to the strand and park up, i left it in 4wd as the road had hardly been driven down and wanted to be able to pull away easily.

however, now when i drive, it drives ok, but when i come to a stop it seems to come out of drive although the lever is still in drive..
                    when this happens, i can press the accelerator and it revs and then all of a sudden goes into drive.

this is very weird. this happens if i am in 4wd or not, and also in 4wd LOW.

i have some theory as to what the problem may be, but im hoping ive given enough info to be told so im not faffin about in the snow (or break down on the way home!)

thanks all!
                    when i had that mate it turned out to be my atf pump
                    costly job (well it was for me)
                    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                      when i had that mate it turned out to be my atf pump
                      costly job (well it was for me)
                      what symptoms did you have?

im only guessing, but if the ATF pump goes, there is no oil leak, but it wont get into gear because the atf is not getting where it needs to?

i hope having low oil hasnt shortened the life of my pump.
                      would it have been cheaper for you to source a 2nd hand box?

the bloke who fixed mine said that where someone had put the new radiator on, it had been bodged up with "garden hose" on the atf return.

so bound to work its way out i suppose.
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

what symptoms did you have?

im only guessing, but if the ATF pump goes, there is no oil leak, but it wont get into gear because the atf is not getting where it needs to?

i hope having low oil hasnt shortened the life of my pump.
                        would it have been cheaper for you to source a 2nd hand box?

the bloke who fixed mine said that where someone had put the new radiator on, it had been bodged up with "garden hose" on the atf return.

so bound to work its way out i suppose.

i had the same has you mate
                        it would just not get a gear for a second then bang
                        it would just jump into gear
                        a bit hit and miss like i lost all drive at the end blow the whole gear box cost me over 700 quid dude to fix it in all
                        i should have had the pump sorted if i had known it was that

i was told so dont quote me
                        the reverse gear has a spine on it so when you put in it R this spine knocks it in to revrese
                        my spine had broke off and gone through my pump and knacked the whole thing up
                        i just carryed on driving
                        it got worse and worse
                        untill i had to have a full gearbox recon job done
                        not bad price realy he did a lot of work and most bit put in was brand new

i did not know then they even had a ATF pump in the gearbox

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                          i did not know then they even had a ATF pump in the gearbox
                          i didnt either till just now.

i'll see how it goes, thanks for the warning.

i dont have £700, so i would have to pass the car on to someone that wanted to take the job on if it came to it :/
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i didnt either till just now.

i'll see how it goes, thanks for the warning.

i dont have £700, so i would have to pass the car on to someone that wanted to take the job on if it came to it :/

took me 12 mounths to find a brave sole that know full well what he was doing
                            38 years in autoboxes he took some finding i can tell ya
                            the job he has done is out this world

i dont have 700 quid
                            but need it again to fix me surf full again
                            selling me gold its all scrap its what i have collected over the years out of skip hire
                            now that the skip hire has gone iam skint too allways

Comment

Working...
                            X