Which type of smoke alarm ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which type of smoke alarm ?

Dont know if anyone on here knows anything about smoke alarms . We got 4 240v interlinked Dicon smoke alarms fitted in the house . So far 2 have gone pop and been taken out . I need to replace the 4 as a matter of course . There are 2 types I have seen but dont know which is best . Both types are interlinkable so hopefully would be a simple reinstalation of the old units .
    The 2 typres are Photo electric/optical or Ionasation .
    Any help anyone ?
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

This should help I think http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...fety/DG_071751
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
      Dont know if anyone on here knows anything about smoke alarms . We got 4 240v interlinked Dicon smoke alarms fitted in the house . So far 2 have gone pop and been taken out . I need to replace the 4 as a matter of course . There are 2 types I have seen but dont know which is best . Both types are interlinkable so hopefully would be a simple reinstalation of the old units .
      The 2 typres are Photo electric/optical or Ionasation .
      Any help anyone ?
      Go for optical. Ionisation ones go beep all the time (toaster, grill, farting dog), optical only go when there is actual smoke in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn View Post
        Spot on Roger , just the info I wanted .

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
        Go for optical. Ionisation ones go beep all the time (toaster, grill, farting dog), optical only go when there is actual smoke in there.
        Yep got those setting the things off but the farting aint the dog !!

Comment

Spot on Roger , just the info I wanted .

Yep got those setting the things off but the farting aint the dog !!
          Is Tam that bad ?

Sorry Tam couldn't resist
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

The recommendation is to install both types as they're sensitive to different types of trigger event - one sort is best near/in the kitchen and the other upstairs/away from the kitchen but don't ask me which one goes where !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

The recommendation is to install both types as they're sensitive to different types of trigger event - one sort is best near/in the kitchen and the other upstairs/away from the kitchen but don't ask me which one goes where !

optical near the kitchen ionisation elsewhere, have you tried contacting the local fire service many fit free smoke alarms and do a house safety check for free too, look on thier website....and you get to be visited by hunky firefighters!!
              Norfolf fire & Rescue HQ 01603 810351 or your local station
              Last edited by fatfires; 30 January 2009, 00:25.
              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
              Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
                optical near the kitchen ionisation elsewhere, have you tried contacting the local fire service many fit free smoke alarms and do a house safety check for free too, look on thier website....and you get to be visited by hunky firefighters!!
                Norfolf fire & Rescue HQ 01603 810351 or your local station
                Ooooo , hunky Firemen . Better get my Mankini out !!
                Can the 2 types be interlinked ? The old ones were interlinked and the wiring is still there . I dont want to have to rewire the system .

Comment

Ooooo , hunky Firemen . Better get my Mankini out !!
                  Can the 2 types be interlinked ? The old ones were interlinked and the wiring is still there . I dont want to have to rewire the system .
                  you should be able to get both types interlinkable, however I might have been a bit hasty....before making a decisionsee if you can find the american? study into kids hearing smoke alarms, it turns out that the majority of kids either slept through them or woke but went back to sleep, work is being done with alarms that you can record your own voice with a 'get up we have a problem' type alarm - they were found to be far more successfull in rousing the kids, sorry I have lost the link but It might have been on utube
                  think this is the report, but sure there is a film of the results
                  http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/h...m-study_ov.htm
                  Last edited by fatfires; 30 January 2009, 19:57.
                  Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                  Tony

Comment

Yes Sancho is correct in the sense than the optical alarms are less prone to false alarms near a heat source.

If you have a detector in the kitchen ,then use a heat detector there, "Rate of Rise" is probably your best option.

You can mix different dector types on the same system and the brand of choice for me is Aico

http://www.aico.co.uk/

some good info on their site.

you can also add some more as radio linked to further expand the system, however 4 in a single dwelling is probably sufficient, unless you have a rather large dwelling. The objective is to cover the evacuation routes.

EDIT - dont forget CO detectors also
                    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Thanks for the further info , very helpful .

Comment

Working...
                      X