How Do You Identify Music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Identify Music?

No, this isn't another, 'What's your favourite tracks', list. What I would like to know is who can tell the difference between different types of music?

Obviously jazz, classical, opera and country and western are easily identifiable, but what about soul and northern soul? Hip Hop and R & B? Indie, grunge, techno, dance, rap, rave, hardcore, etc. Who can honestly say what categorises a song to a certain genre? Some dance/rave/techno stuff all sounds the same to me! (I am old mind you!)

Back in the 80's when I was DJing (deejaying?) it was a lot easier to identify music.

I realise that this is a question not easily answered in a few words, (though no doubt someone will have a smart ar5e answer), but it could be a good subject for debate.

And what the hell is 'donk'?
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

i can differentiate between techno and dance and rap is quite easy, hardcore is just a derivative of rap.

Donk" is the fifth and last single from rap artist Soulja Boy Tell 'Em's first studio album souljaboytellem.com.
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

'Donk' is now seemingly recognised as a type of music. I believe there is an album out at the moment entitled, 'Donk Euphoria'!

[EDIT] I have just listened to a sample of said Donk music. Sounds just like dance, techno, stuff to me.

http://www.donkeuphoria.co.uk/forums/index.php
      Last edited by Scorpion; 28 January 2009, 20:00.
      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

its more dance/ trance, then true techno
        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Donk is dance music

Alex K was the first person to really push it over here, then about 2 years ago it got overdone to death, wigan peir is a huge fan of donk,,, donk is that noise you here in ALLLLLLLLL wigan peir style dance tunes,,, al go dig one out

Comment

listen to the 1st 5 or so seconds of that tune

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QVFm1yoNKp0

thats donk ,,, pretty poo really, infact thats an awfull attempt haha when its done right its good, but there are so many utter Sh*te attempts haha

Comment

I consider myself to be pretty clued up on music, my dad is a massive music fans, my sisters in a band and does shows and i play drums paino and guitar (not all at the same time) so we take music pretty seriously at our house hahaha, we all kinda learn off one anothers different tastes ...

Comment

Soul is early sixties and mostly piano-based with, erm, soulful lyrics.

Northern soul is later sixties and more base-driven. Kind of half way between soul and disco.

Hip hop has rapping, R&B (these days) has singing. Proper R&B is upbeat soul with more horns.

Indie is traditionally guitar-based and should be on independent labels.

Grunge is a form of indie rock that comes from the north west USA.

Techno is electronic music with a rapid beat. It contains no singing and is basically joyless.

Dance covers a variety of music types

Rap is a type of singing used in hip hop.

Rave is a sub-set of dance and also contains a variety of music types.

Hardcore was originally applied to very hard driving metal, then a form of rave music that featured a rapid 4:4 beat and sped-up samples.

Donk would appear to be bad hardcore.

Comment

Originally posted by Antony_James View Post
                  listen to the 1st 5 or so seconds of that tune

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QVFm1yoNKp0

thats donk ,,, pretty poo really, infact thats an awfull attempt haha when its done right its good, but there are so many utter Sh*te attempts haha
                  That's shocking.

Comment

shockingly awful haha

Comment

lol from wot i know donk is this
                      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=i-YPGm...eature=related
                      mostly 80's caddys on 22/24 inch wheels,somtimes bigger,the donk link further up,sounds sounds like cheesy/happy hardcore,and rap/rnb questions shoot,as that is pretty much my taste in music

Comment

Drum & Bass sounds like it should be music but the beats are all ####ed up and the notes sound like they are being played in the wrong order.

I gave up DJing when all the tunes were at the same BPM and there was no challenge in mixing them anymore. I still get the itch to dust the old decks off. I was offered a regular gig last year. When I spoke to the guy all he wanted me to do was play a maximum of 1.5 mins of each track. I decided not to take it. Too much like hard work for what was being offered.

I don't want to be one of these sad old gits, stuck in a timewarp, doing 60s, 70s and 80s nights. There is a lot of good music around but it has got so commercial. Unless the punters have heard a track done to death on commercial radio or MTV, they can't make up their minds whether they like it or not and walk off the floor...................
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil View Post
                          When I spoke to the guy all he wanted me to do was play a maximum of 1.5 mins of each track.........
                          With a belly full of ale and being in the mood, upon hearing my favourite tunes repeatedly being tickled around my lobes just to find them being switched over before i even got out my chair to dance to them, i would well feel the need to smack u haha

Why did he want it like that ?

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil View Post
                            Drum & Bass sounds like it should be music but the beats are all ####ed up and the notes sound like they are being played in the wrong order.
                            The beat is a sped-up offbeat (i.e. reggae beat)

Don't know about the notes, depends on the tune I guess.

Comment

Eh????
                              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                              X