The 5th Gear Chip Fat Merc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 5th Gear Chip Fat Merc

Did anyone see this piece last night? Did you notice that the implication was that you could walk straight into a chip shop, pick up a can of waste oil then pour it straight into your diesel tank.

I wonder if they'll do a follow up piece on the damage caused due to WVO.

I have no problem with people using WVO but they need to know the pitfalls first. I never was taken with 5th Gear, now I know why.....

Originally posted by Doc B View Post
    Did anyone see this piece last night? Did you notice that the implication was that you could walk straight into a chip shop, pick up a can of waste oil then pour it straight into your diesel tank.

I wonder if they'll do a follow up piece on the damage caused due to WVO.

I have no problem with people using WVO but they need to know the pitfalls first. I never was taken with 5th Gear, now I know why.....
    It did give the wrong impression, you can bet that some idiots will just throw it straight in the tank.

Very poor report really.
    Last edited by si tate; 20 January 2009, 18:56.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

dont worry, it's just Darwinism at work.

Fifth gear is complete pap anyway.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Wait until you see the Top Gear version - Jezza will be cramming a large haddock and chips into the fuel tank ......

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Next thing you know people will be going to the supermarket, buying cooking oil and filling their tanks in the car park, how embarrassing
          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

No Chanse Of That Any More

Originally posted by PDR View Post
            Next thing you know people will be going to the supermarket, buying cooking oil and filling their tanks in the car park, how embarrassing
            That was going on when the cooking oil was cheaper than diesel. Last year all super markets started to mach the price of their cheapest cooking oil with the price of the Diesel fuel. The diesel came down from 1.30 in August 2008 to about 0.97 now. The cooking oil followed but at the moment is 1 or 2 pence more expensive than diesel so it makes no economic sence to use it as fuel.

Waste Veg Oil is the only alternative, but it needs to be setled and filtered to at least 5 micron to avoid clogging the fuel filter. Some modifications are needed to the fuel system of most modern diesel engines as most post 2002 use the common rail fuel system.

There were detailed theds in the forum on the subject...

Comment

Yup watched it and was mildly annoyed by it.

At the start VBH did say that the oil must be passed through filters.....but then proceeded to walk from a chippy to the car with waste oil in container......leading one to assume it had gone through no filtration at all.

....oh..and the ease with which they managed to get oil out of these people.....next time I need some waste oil, I'll just get a television crew and a couple of minor celebs to go with me, I may have a chance of getting a few litres.

ALL of our local uses of oil are sew into contracts with collectors, some through the "council", others through private contractors. Some guy off the street (no matter how polite) has no hope locally of getting any.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                Y

ALL of our local uses of oil are sew into contracts with collectors, some through the "council", others through private contractors. Some guy off the street (no matter how polite) has no hope locally of getting any.
                I would try again if I were you. the bottom has fallen out of the oil market and many commercial collectors are going bust.
                Try again, offer a bit of cash and keep em sweet for when the commercial boys come back

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                  I would try again if I were you. the bottom has fallen out of the oil market and many commercial collectors are going bust.
                  Try again, offer a bit of cash and keep em sweet for when the commercial boys come back
                  ..coolio.....good idea

Comment

Hey, what do I know!... I use something more refined than cooking oil or even diesel... it’s called PETROL good stuff, no stinky smell and more power

The only downside is my truck just loves drinking it
                    Last edited by PDR; 20 January 2009, 18:56.
                    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                      Hey, what do I know!... I use something more refined than cooking oil or even diesel... it’s called PETROL good stuff, no stinky smell and more power

The only downside is my truck just loves drinking it
                      Funny that, but my bamboo muncher loves it too
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
                      X