@ Biohazard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Biohazard

Got any good pheasant / grouse recipes Ian?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Hows this

Ingredients
    55g/2oz butter
    2 pheasants
    salt and pepper
    1 onion, finely chopped
    85g/3˝oz bacon lardons
    1 stick celery, chopped roughly
    1 carrot, chopped roughly
    4 sprigs sage
    2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
    50ml/2fl oz calvados
    290ml/˝ pint chicken stock
    500ml/17fl oz dry cider
    290ml/˝ pint double cream

For the baked apples
    4 coxes apples, peeled and cored
    25g /1oz melted butter
    1 tbsp soft light brown sugar

To serve
    deep fried sage leaves
    8 slices of crispy pancetta
    kale, blanched

Method
    1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
    2. Melt the butter in a large non-stick casserole pot. Season the pheasants with salt and ground black pepper. Place the pheasants into the casserole pot and brown until pale golden on all sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
    3. Add the onions, bacon, celery, carrot and sage sprigs to the pot and cook over a medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent and the bacon is crispy. Carefully pour off any excess fat that has emerged from the lardons.
    4. Return the pheasants to the pot and sprinkle over the apples. Pour over the calvados and set alight. Once the flames have died down add 290ml/˝ pint of the cider and the chicken stock. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and place in the oven for about 20 minutes.
    5. Place the apples onto a baking tray that has been brushed with a little butter and sprinkle with the sugar. Place in the oven and bake for about ˝ hour, basting the apples a few times during cooking.
    6. Remove the pheasants from the pot and place on a chopping board. Remove the thighs and breasts and set aside to keep warm. Chop the carcass into four pieces and place back into the pot with the vegetables with the remaining cider. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
    7. Strain the sauce into a bowl through a fine meshed sieve. Pour the strained sauce back into the pot and add a splash of calvados. Reduce by half. Add the cream and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the sauce is creamy and slightly thickened.
    8. Return the pheasant pieces to the pot to warm through and become coated in the sauce.
    9. Remove the baked apples from the oven.
    10. Serve on a bed of kale with a baked apple. Garnish with deep-fried sage leaves and crispy pancetta.
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Game Terrine

These days terrines seem to be regarded as something for professional chefs in restaurant kitchens. In fact they are an old-fashioned staple of the farmhouse kitchen and not nearly as difficult as people think. I find them immensely satisfying to make, and to eat. The way I see it, making a terrine is like building a wall: it's a matter of bricks and mortar. The mortar is a forcemeat, in this case made from pork, breadcrumbs and the livers of the game; the bricks are whole pieces of game fillets from the leg and breast. When cut, the finished terrine has a lovely marbled cross-section. It is delicious served with Cumberland sauce or home-made chutney.

Ingredients:
      Serves 10
      a selection of lean game meat, about 1kg in all, which could include:
      pheasant breasts (hung about 5 days)
      pigeon breasts
      duck or other wild fowl breasts
      saddle and hindquarters of 1 rabbit, boned
      saddle and hindquarters of hare, boned
      lean strips of venison (from the leg or fillet)
      plus:
      oil or fat for frying
      300g streaky bacon to line the dish
      For the forcemeat:
      500g sausage meat
      livers from all the game (if they’re not available, use about 175g chicken livers), finely chopped
      2 handfuls of fresh white breadcrumbs
      1 egg
      3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
      leaves from a few sprigs of thyme, chopped
      5–6 juniper berries, crushed in a pestle and mortar
      2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
      a splash of red wine
      a splash of brandy
      salt and freshly ground black pepper

First of all make the 'mortar' that will hold the 'bricks' of the terrine together. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sausage meat and the chopped livers. Next add the breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, thyme, juniper berries and garlic. Add the wine and brandy, season with salt and pepper and mix everything together thoroughly, preferably with your hands.
      Cut the game meat into strips of roughly the same size, about 2 fingers thick. Heat some oil or fat in a heavy-based frying pan and fry the game pieces, in batches, for about 2 minutes, until nicely browned.
      Remove the rind from the bacon and run the back of a knife along each rasher to stretch it. Line a 1kg loaf tin or ceramic terrine dish with the stretched rashers of bacon, overlapping them slightly and leaving the ends hanging over the edges of the dish. Arrange a layer of forcemeat in the terrine, followed by a layer of game meat, then another layer of forcemeat followed by another layer of game meat, seasoning with salt and pepper between each layer. If you like, you can put the same kind of meat in each layer - i.e. a layer of rabbit, then pigeon and then pheasant). However many layers you make (I usually go for 3), be sure to finish with a layer of the forcemeat.
      Fold the exposed strips of bacon over the top of the terrine and cover tightly with kitchen foil. If your terrine dish has a lid on it, so much the better. Place the terrine dish in a roasting tin half filled with hot water and cook in the oven at 170C/Gas Mark 3 for approximately 11/2-2 hours. Test with a skewer to see if it is cooked - if the skewer does not come out of the terrine piping hot, then it is not ready.
      For the best possible texture and easy slicing, your terrine should be pressed as it cools. Find a piece of wood or plastic that fits snugly inside the terrine dish and weight it down with a brick or two. (Another similar-size dish or loaf tin with a brick inside often does the trick, but wrap it in clingfilm if you're using a tin.) Leave the terrine until completely cold - for several hours or overnight.
      To serve the terrine, slice it thickly with a very sharp knife and put it on serving plates with a small salad of lightly dressed green leaves and a blob of good fruit chutney. Bring toast to the table.

Comment

It that what you are after ???

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
          Game Terrine

These days terrines seem to be regarded as something for professional chefs in restaurant kitchens. In fact they are an old-fashioned staple of the farmhouse kitchen and not nearly as difficult as people think. I find them immensely satisfying to make, and to eat. The way I see it, making a terrine is like building a wall: it's a matter of bricks and mortar. The mortar is a forcemeat, in this case made from pork, breadcrumbs and the livers of the game; the bricks are whole pieces of game fillets from the leg and breast. When cut, the finished terrine has a lovely marbled cross-section. It is delicious served with Cumberland sauce or home-made chutney.

Ingredients:
          Serves 10
          a selection of lean game meat, about 1kg in all, which could include:
          pheasant breasts (hung about 5 days)
          pigeon breasts
          duck or other wild fowl breasts
          saddle and hindquarters of 1 rabbit, boned
          saddle and hindquarters of hare, boned
          lean strips of venison (from the leg or fillet)
          plus:
          oil or fat for frying
          300g streaky bacon to line the dish
          For the forcemeat:
          500g sausage meat
          livers from all the game (if they’re not available, use about 175g chicken livers), finely chopped
          2 handfuls of fresh white breadcrumbs
          1 egg
          3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
          leaves from a few sprigs of thyme, chopped
          5–6 juniper berries, crushed in a pestle and mortar
          2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
          a splash of red wine
          a splash of brandy
          salt and freshly ground black pepper

First of all make the 'mortar' that will hold the 'bricks' of the terrine together. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sausage meat and the chopped livers. Next add the breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, thyme, juniper berries and garlic. Add the wine and brandy, season with salt and pepper and mix everything together thoroughly, preferably with your hands.
          Cut the game meat into strips of roughly the same size, about 2 fingers thick. Heat some oil or fat in a heavy-based frying pan and fry the game pieces, in batches, for about 2 minutes, until nicely browned.
          Remove the rind from the bacon and run the back of a knife along each rasher to stretch it. Line a 1kg loaf tin or ceramic terrine dish with the stretched rashers of bacon, overlapping them slightly and leaving the ends hanging over the edges of the dish. Arrange a layer of forcemeat in the terrine, followed by a layer of game meat, then another layer of forcemeat followed by another layer of game meat, seasoning with salt and pepper between each layer. If you like, you can put the same kind of meat in each layer - i.e. a layer of rabbit, then pigeon and then pheasant). However many layers you make (I usually go for 3), be sure to finish with a layer of the forcemeat.
          Fold the exposed strips of bacon over the top of the terrine and cover tightly with kitchen foil. If your terrine dish has a lid on it, so much the better. Place the terrine dish in a roasting tin half filled with hot water and cook in the oven at 170C/Gas Mark 3 for approximately 11/2-2 hours. Test with a skewer to see if it is cooked - if the skewer does not come out of the terrine piping hot, then it is not ready.
          For the best possible texture and easy slicing, your terrine should be pressed as it cools. Find a piece of wood or plastic that fits snugly inside the terrine dish and weight it down with a brick or two. (Another similar-size dish or loaf tin with a brick inside often does the trick, but wrap it in clingfilm if you're using a tin.) Leave the terrine until completely cold - for several hours or overnight.
          To serve the terrine, slice it thickly with a very sharp knife and put it on serving plates with a small salad of lightly dressed green leaves and a blob of good fruit chutney. Bring toast to the table.
          were having chinese
          JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Pheasant and cider is the norm for me ......

another

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/recip...nt_recipe.html

Comment

I was thinking along the lines of game pie, but the terrine sounds awesome! Our local butcher usually has a nice selection of seasonal game, and this morning when I was buying 'full english' ingredients, he had a few nice prepared pheasant and grouse.

I knew you'd be the chap!

Tomorrow, we're either having haggis (as sent by John Highlander) or proper toad in the hole with local Gloucester Old Spot sausages

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                I was thinking along the lines of game pie, but the terrine sounds awesome! Our local butcher usually has a nice selection of seasonal game, and this morning when I was buying 'full english' ingredients, he had a few nice prepared pheasant and grouse.

I knew you'd be the chap!

Tomorrow, we're either having haggis (as sent by John Highlander) or proper toad in the hole with local Gloucester Old Spot sausages
                arrggghhhh !!!!

why is the ledbury job not started yet !!
                (still dribble when i think of them fish cakes mate)
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Was gonna do fishcakes tonight, but too lazy

Will save the Haggis til you're back. The proper highland stuff is awesome compared to the shoite they sell in the supermarkets.

Breakfast this morning was all local stuff, right down to the white pud! Might be a bit more expensive, but I'm supporting the local businesses, and you cant half tell its fresh by the taste!

Comment

Working...
                  X