X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
    I'm sure some will be Offended !!!!!
    Just for your information .....
    Had my 2.4 Truck since first imported in 2000, 6 n half years later n never ever had any Overheating /Head probs n it's still working Ok isn't it mark ??

ps.
    Not all 2.4's are the same ..... Nor are all 3.0l's unbreakable !!!!!

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
    DW,

As I said, I mean no offence whatsoever to anybody. If people take offence, maybe they should address their own sensibilities?

I'm only speaking from personal experience. There have been Surfs in my family for the last 9-10 years. My brother has off-roaded them, ran them on WVO and done pretty much all of the mechanical tasks you could think of on them. His advice was to go for the 3.0TD as there is a much greater likelihood of cylinder head problems on the 2.4s

You are 100% correct when you say that not all 2.4s are unreliable and not all 3.0s are unbreakable, I would not argue with that at all. What I would say, and I don't think there can be any argument about this, is that the consensus gained through personal research and research on this very forum, is that you have less chance of encountering a major mechanical problem on the 3.0 engine than you do on the 2.4

Its says much for your care and maintenance that your 2.4 is still trouble free, unfortunately not all owners are so diligent.
    En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
      DW,

As I said, I mean no offence whatsoever to anybody. If people take offence, maybe they should address their own sensibilities?

I'm only speaking from personal experience. There have been Surfs in my family for the last 9-10 years. My brother has off-roaded them, ran them on WVO and done pretty much all of the mechanical tasks you could think of on them. His advice was to go for the 3.0TD as there is a much greater likelihood of cylinder head problems on the 2.4s

You are 100% correct when you say that not all 2.4s are unreliable and not all 3.0s are unbreakable, I would not argue with that at all. What I would say, and I don't think there can be any argument about this, is that the consensus gained through personal research and research on this very forum, is that you have less chance of encountering a major mechanical problem on the 3.0 engine than you do on the 2.4

Its says much for your care and maintenance that your 2.4 is still trouble free, unfortunately not all owners are so diligent.
      addres my sensibilities !!

perhaps a bit of honest advertising wouldnt go amiss.perhaps you should take a look around at the 3.0 litre surfs that are popping heads,perhaps lots of things,but adress my sensibilities !!

your ad is at best a misquote and at worst untrue.
      my sensibilities require no adressing,perhaps your advertising technique does.
      im glad not just for you, but for all those that enjoy a breakdown free ,surf experience,but to try and justify your advertisment..........
      its not my sensibilities that require action.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
        addres my sensibilities !!

perhaps a bit of honest advertising wouldnt go amiss.perhaps you should take a look around at the 3.0 litre surfs that are popping heads,perhaps lots of things,but adress my sensibilities !!

your ad is at best a misquote and at worst untrue.
        my sensibilities require no adressing,perhaps your advertising technique does.
        im glad not just for you, but for all those that enjoy a breakdown free ,surf experience,but to try and justify your advertisment..........
        its not my sensibilities that require action.
        Well, I'm going no further along this line but I'll say it one last time. I am not here to pick a fight and I am not here to cause offence. If you feel that the 2.4s problems are a myth, I am certain that thousands of owners will disagree with you. To be fair, many owners will probably agree with you.

I speak only from my own experience but some people are acting as if they designed and built the 2.4 engine themselves or as if I've insulted their grandmother's innocence. I can only call things as I see them, my brother is a meticulous owner and has had a 100% failure rate on his 2.4s, his 3.0 is trouble free. There is really only one conclusion to draw from this. There are almost exactly twice as many threads/posts in the 2.4 technical problems section of the forum than there are in the 3.0 section. I'm no scientist or mathematician but I can recognize a trend when I see one.

You pays your money and you makes your choice. I'm saying nothing more about it, I have no wish to upset any of you and no wish to make any "cyber-enemies" although it seems this is all too easily done.

Peace.
        En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

oh god here we go lol

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
            Well, I'm going no further along this line but I'll say it one last time. I am not here to pick a fight and I am not here to cause offence. If you feel that the 2.4s problems are a myth, I am certain that thousands of owners will disagree with you. To be fair, many owners will probably agree with you.

I speak only from my own experience but some people are acting as if they designed and built the 2.4 engine themselves or as if I've insulted their grandmother's innocence. I can only call things as I see them, my brother is a meticulous owner and has had a 100% failure rate on his 2.4s, his 3.0 is trouble free. There is really only one conclusion to draw from this. There are almost exactly twice as many threads/posts in the 2.4 technical problems section of the forum than there are in the 3.0 section. I'm no scientist or mathematician but I can recognize a trend when I see one.

You pays your money and you makes your choice. I'm saying nothing more about it, I have no wish to upset any of you and no wish to make any "cyber-enemies" although it seems this is all too easily done.

Peace.

i said the same a few months ago i own a 2.4
            fact is i was wrong its down to the care they get
            i do hammer every car i get i have killed 20 odd cars of all kinds while owning my surf
            i have had a 2.4 for nearly 6 years i have droped it off place's ya would never beleave they would go
            i had water to the roof
            pulled down trees
            rammed cars
            draged jcb's
            i have killed my surf more times than i can mention
            i have evern whined about the 2.4 before when its got me down
            but the fact is all the stuff that gose wrong on my surf has been my own falt
            but never have i had any head problems

and i do spray a gas down my air intake from time to time too just for the boost but still no head problems (rad blowing antics are out there now)

and iam not here to pick any fights too
            iam just saying i had my surf 6 years nearly and my mates have gone through loads of 4x4s of all kinds just keeping up with me off roading
            but mine still lives on
            Last edited by JUDWAK; 12 January 2009, 22:01.
            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
              i said the same a few months ago i own a 2.4
              fact is i was wrong its down to the care they get
              i do hammer every car i get i have killed 20 odd cars of all kinds while owning my surf
              i have had a 2.4 for nearly 6 years i have droped it off place's ya would never beleave they would go
              i had water to the roof
              pulled down trees
              rammed cars
              draged jcb's
              i have killed my surf more times than i can mention
              i have evern whined about the 2.4 before when its got me down
              but the fact is all the stuff that gose wrong on my surf has been my own falt
              but never have i had any head problems

and iam not here to pick any fights too
              iam just saying i had my surf 6 years nearly and my mates have gone through loads of 4x4s of all kinds just keeping up with me off roading
              but mine still lives on
              got a new gearbox yet 118?

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                got a new gearbox yet 118?

no it still works just no 4wd 118
                i might just blow it first and put all new in

i think them kids have wanged it in 4wd while moveing
                and shatted my splitter box (my idea anyhow)118
                Last edited by JUDWAK; 12 January 2009, 22:05.

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                  no it still works just no 4wd 118
                  i might just blow it first and put all new in

i think them kids have wanged it in 4wd while moveing
                  and shatted my splitter box (my idea anyhow)118
                  u never did go ask them bout it did u?

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                    u never did go ask them bout it did u?
                    no mate i dont want to lose my
                    temper and freind ship with the father of them kids
                    i soon turn to blows and it not hard for me to go over the top
                    so i try to dodge it for now
                    bit my toung a few time about it

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                      I'm sure some will be Offended !!!!!
                      Just for your information .....
                      Had my 2.4 Truck since first imported in 2000, 6 n half years later n never ever had any Overheating /Head probs n it's still working Ok isn't it mark ??

ps.
                      Not all 2.4's are the same ..... Nor are all 3.0l's unbreakable !!!!!

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!

I've had both... and both ended up with cracked heads!

From my view the 2.4 we bought with a fault, and it had been seriously overheated and had cracked the head. once replaced and up to we sold it I was happy with it, it only cost me servicing items and a couple of inner driveshaft boots.

My 3.0ltr cracked a head approx 12 months after I bought, It might have been partly my fault for mixing blue & red antifreeze, but apart from that it's been wholly reliable, ive done about 35,000 miles in it now.

In fact i'm so pleased with mine I've got the missus to buy her own motor so I can have mine back!
                      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Sheesh, folk are touchy here tonight! Just so long as we don't get onto the topic of bobtailed range rovers, eh?

While we're boasting about cracked heads, wife did her clio 3 times in 2 years... First time they did it free (under warranty), 2nd time they charged cost price for parts and no labour (just out of warranty), third time we traded it in for £600 Meanwhile I was driving a rattly old 12 year old 106 for near on 5 years with nothing more than a driveshaft needing replaced, although it's amazing how many bits an old car can shed on the road and be none the worse off without!

We're going for a 3.0 - in any event on a trip like this we'll be playing statistics - have to factor in a few major breakdowns along the way, but if we can avoid anything as major as a cracked head we'll be happy. I linked to this before, but hopefully we'll not have as many breakdowns as these guys in a 2CV had - 10th "serious" (engine out) problem on the road, and half of Africa still to go!
                        Andy
                        http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

had my surf 5 years no head problems just common bits rear door motors cv boots idler arm couple oil changes and just drive it could do with 3.0l power though.

Comment

I've said it before......2.4s are older than 3.0s, hence more problems. The 3.0s do seem better, but not much. When you buy something 15 years old, you expect it to break, end of.

Comment

Working...
                            X