steering again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering again

ok story so far, the steering on my truck was heavy this has got better now the tracking has been done, the only problem i have left is that it wont self centre more on the right than the left. It feels like the ball joints have tightend up and arnt letting the wheels pull straight (if that makes sense) is it possible for the ball joints to tighten? and how do you lossen them?

Thanks all

Colin
    SWIFT AND BOLD

anyone know anywhere near croydon who will adjust the camber/caster angles?
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

You have a 3rd gen , they do have a fault with play on the steering rack , predictable bob , Rob or tony might be able to shed more light on it
      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Thanks mate there is no play on the rack i have spoken to Tony and he is unsure at the moment as to the cause
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
          You have a 3rd gen , they do have a fault with play on the steering rack , predictable bob , Rob or tony might be able to shed more light on it

errrrrr - what's a steering rack ?????

Can't help at all I'm afraid - my steering rack's got a leak but it hasn't affected anything as far as I can tell (Makes note to speak to Tony about getting it fixed/replaced)

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
            Ian, this fault with the steering, is it the bushes.
            Reason i ask is cos on my MOT i was given an advisory notice to replace then before the next test. Ive got the bushes from roughtrax but as usual not fitted then yet.
            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

i have got to replace the bushes but i dont think they will cause the steering to feel heavy when driving and it wont self centre. I think it is either a ball joint issue where by for some reason one or more has tightend up or the camber and caster need adjustment. Problem is i dont know which one, or even if i am on the right track?

Colin
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Check the steering stabiliser.

If its knackered it would cause the loss of self centering and it would feel heavier/softer dependant on how severe the failure.

It wont show up untill its removed and checked mate.

The Roughtrax one i believe isn't a self centre unit so be aware if it is causing the fault the replacement will be different. Contract roughtrax before ordering to confirm if its an issue mate.

It's not something i notice driving but you can bet your bottom dollar when its gone you'll know it!!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                  Check the steering stabiliser.

If its knackered it would cause the loss of self centering and it would feel heavier/softer dependant on how severe the failure.

It wont show up untill its removed and checked mate.

The Roughtrax one i believe isn't a self centre unit so be aware if it is causing the fault the replacement will be different. Contract roughtrax before ordering to confirm if its an issue mate.

It's not something i notice driving but you can bet your bottom dollar when its gone you'll know it!!
                  steering stabiliser rod ??? whats that ??
                  Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Caster is set at the factory and shouldn't/isn't/can't be adjusted.
                    Are the brakes releasing properly and not sticking on one side?
                    Shocks in good condition?
                    Tyre pressures OK?
                    Worn rack bushes will make the steering response sloppy but shouldn't affect self-centering.

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
                      steering stabiliser rod ??? whats that ??
                      same as a steering stabilizer...

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Caster is set at the factory and shouldn't/isn't/can't be adjusted.
                        Are the brakes releasing properly and not sticking on one side?
                        Shocks in good condition?
                        Tyre pressures OK?
                        Worn rack bushes will make the steering response sloppy but shouldn't affect self-centering.
                        breaks are good and releasing fine, the shocks are tjm about a year old fitted by Tony, tyre pressure is 32psi, how would the shocks affect the steering? Is it possible a ball joint is not happy? it feels like it sticks at certain points of the steering more on full lock not so bad on slow bends.
                        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

trev !!!!
                          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

psssst. I don't think 3rd gens have them Rod, however you spell it.

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
                              trev !!!!
                              Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              psssst. I don't think 3rd gens have them Rod, however you spell it.
                              Dont they?!?!

Just trying to help out!!

Comment

Working...
                              X