X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator question

Hi all.

I have an early 3rd gen 3.0 Surf

I only do 12 miles to work each day......which is all on windy country lanes.

Going back a few years, cars' alternators needed to be revved to a certain rpm before they would start charging (e.g. 3000rpm).

Anyone know if this is the case with the Surf Alternator of 1995/6 vintage?

With my big lazy engine and overdrive I barely get above 2000 rpm for most of the journey and am worried that with all the accessories on and teh cold weather the battery may die.

It is so hard to tell the state of the battery as the car is such an immediate starter, it doesn't turnover at all, it starts in less than 1 revolution.

Your thoughts appreciated.

when my Alternator fluked up my whole dash lite up
    are ya sure the batterys dont need toping

and no it will be charging mines a 2.4 chargers at tick over speed
    tested it
    Last edited by JUDWAK; 6 January 2009, 11:16.
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
      Hi all.

I have an early 3rd gen 3.0 Surf

I only do 12 miles to work each day......which is all on windy country lanes.

Going back a few years, cars' alternators needed to be revved to a certain rpm before they would start charging (e.g. 3000rpm).

Anyone know if this is the case with the Surf Alternator of 1995/6 vintage?

With my big lazy engine and overdrive I barely get above 2000 rpm for most of the journey and am worried that with all the accessories on and teh cold weather the battery may die.

It is so hard to tell the state of the battery as the car is such an immediate starter, it doesn't turnover at all, it starts in less than 1 revolution.

Your thoughts appreciated.
      Generally ole Dynamos, (needed to run a while above tickover) at the outset of "Alternators" they effectively charge from startup on tickover ....ya will need to use a multimeter to check the individual battery charge rate ....
      Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
        Generally ole Dynamos, (needed to run a while above tickover) at the outset of "Alternators" they effectively charge from startup on tickover ....ya will need to use a multimeter to check the individual battery charge rate ....
        Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
        Thanks for the prompt replies.

Good point...I'll get my multimeter out and check it from tickover.

It is a single-battery vehicle....but it has a 97ah battery which I presume is man enough for the job.

Comment

Working...
        X