No announcement yet.

The Plains strikes again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come to think about it, wasn't it the Lurchmobile that needed towing out by the combined muscle of Hippo AND the LR ?
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
      Come to think about it, wasn't it the Lurchmobile that needed towing out by the combined muscle of Hippo AND the LR ?
      Ah yes Trev, but we all know Hippo did most of the work, the land rover was there as ballast.
      And before the Yeti starts, when i got stuck down in Poole, he had to get towed by a Daihatsu...................... ... Before he could even get to me........
      Working at last.......

Comment

I seem to remember you got stuck because you didn't listen to the instruction to stay to the left

Comment

I seem to remember you got stuck because you didn't listen to the instruction to stay to the left
          As i said earlier, i had road tyres, that beat you where you got stuck, but would not hold me on the left cos it was too slippery.................
          Working at last.......

Comment

Originally posted by LURCH View Post
            As i said earlier, i had road tyres, that beat you where you got stuck, but would not hold me on the left cos it was too slippery.................
            But you made no attempt to stay on the left !!!!!!!

And compared to me you were the expert on the Plains

Comment

But you made no attempt to stay on the left !!!!!!!

And compared to me you were the expert on the Plains
              Not me i relied on the mini yeti, he was my co pilot and chief tea tester.........
              Working at last.......

Comment

he knows more of the plain than you ever will
                ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

OK got everything cleaned up today and it is definitely the O/S drive shaft seal that is leaking.

Only concern I have, is that when I checked for free play there was more than I would have expected, especially when compared to the N/S shaft.

Is this normal or am I likely to have totaled the bearing as well ? which I believe would require full diff strip down in order to replace.

Comment

If you have it jacked up turn the wheel and see if is got a noisy bearing ......From experience if you suspect replace i hate having to do a job twice cos i didn't replace something

There is alot about the diff removal here
                    http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/frontdifflocker.htm
                    Last edited by BioHazard; 4 January 2009, 00:43.
                    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                      If you have it jacked up turn the wheel and see if is got a noisy bearing ......From experience if you suspect replace i hate having to do a job twice cos i didn't replace something

There is alot about the diff removal here
                      http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/frontdifflocker.htm
                      Cheers for the link Ian, will get ruck up on axle stands in the week and see how the bearing sounds. Not to sure I fancy dismantling the diff on my own could be the end of it.

Will get the seal on order so i can get this done if bearing ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                        Cheers for the link Ian, will get ruck up on axle stands in the week and see how the bearing sounds. Not to sure I fancy dismantling the diff on my own could be the end of it.

Will get the seal on order so i can get this done if bearing ok.
                        It shouldn't be too hard a job. The actual diff itself can be left well alone. jack the lower wishbone up so that there parrellel to the ground before you start pulling things apart as it makes it easier to get everything out.

Comment

Working...
                        X