Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all

Hi
    I have had a surf for around 5 years now, but its been lying unloved for nearly 2 years now in the drive way
    So its time to get it back on the road, as recently I have been using a Honda SP1 as normal transport, 180mph superbike + ice is terrifying.

So its time to fix the surf while the other car is being repaired. Have Ordered new exhaust, battery, brake pads, timing belt, timing belt idler adjuster, filters etc. /Jump started it and hey it fired up like normal, no hesitation.
    Went to fit the pads and couldn’t get the wheels off. Yes I put copper slip on them, but that was 3 years ago,
    tried driving with wheel nuts lose. Tried small hammer and block of wood, tried pullers, tried bigger hammer, tried enerpac hydraulic puller at 300 bar so I have orderd 4 new 16” alloys plus tyres and then I am going to show the wheels what I think of them with a combination of Mr. enerpac and Mr. sledge with the occasional introduction of Mr. acetylene
    Other than that its going ok
    Thinking of a body lift but not really sure, its awfully low but its never been a problem on dirt tracks or snow.
    All the wind deflectors have been torn off. Brackets broken, anyone tried putting thes back on with just double sided body moulding tape??
    Its the mk3 model with the under slung always corroding rear wheel, can you get a tow bar for them without relocating the spare???
    Also Fancy putting a roof lighting bar on it as well, so I have ordered 6 spots for that. It has original Japanese rhino grab handle thingies on the roof. Anyone come across bars for them???
    The most memorable trip in the surf was a 200 mile trip in heavy snow (Scottish highlands snow), passed two Land rover 90s stuck and several cars (stopped to helped the cars) but Land rovers no, they need to learn to use the dam thing. Any way as I neared home I started to think that that was a bit of a boring trip, no sliding or even the slightest hint of it.
    So I thought to relieve the boredom I would switch to 2 wheel drive and boot it
    #### me I thought I was going to die . Made mental note never to do that again.
    Any way just wanted to say Hi to you All
    Last edited by firestorm; 1 January 2009, 23:04.

do us a favor .....edit the post so the links work / as reading it is not easy

if you post the link in between the bits after clicking on the world /inifinty icon on the tool bar
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

OH and

Welcome to the nut house .....beware the squirrel

Comment

And here, for the benefit of old windy guts is the edited version

Hi
        I have had a surf for around 5 years now, but its been lying unloved for nearly 2 years now in the drive way So its time to get it back on the road, as recently I have been using a Honda SP1 as normal transport, 180mph superbike + ice is terrifying. while the other car is being repaired. Have Ordered new exhaust, battery, brake pads, timing belt, timing belt idler adjuster, filters etc. /Jump started it and hey it fired up like normal, no hesitation.
        Went to fit the pads and couldn’t get the wheels off. Yes I put copper slip on them, but that was 3 years ago, tried driving with wheel nuts lose. Tried small hammer and block of wood, tried pullers, tried bigger hammer, tried enerpac hydraulic puller at 300 bar , so I have orderd 4 new 16” alloys plus tyres and then I am going to show the wheels what I think of them with a combination of Mr. enerpac and Mr. sledge with the occasional introduction of Mr. acetylene
        Other than that its going ok
        Thinking of a body lift but not really sure, its awfully low but its never been a problem on dirt tracks or snow.
        All the wind deflectors have been torn off. Brackets broken, anyone tried putting thes back on with just double sided body moulding tape??
        Its the mk3 model with the under slung always corroding rear wheel, can you get a tow bar for them without relocating the spare???
        Also Fancy putting a roof lighting bar on it as well, so I have ordered 6 spots for that. It has original Japanese rhino grab handle thingies on the roof. Anyone come across bars for them???
        The most memorable trip in the surf was a 200 mile trip in heavy snow (Scottish highlands snow), passed two Land rover 90s stuck and several cars (stopped to helped the cars) but Land rovers no, they need to learn to use the dam thing. Any way as I neared home I started to think that that was a bit of a boring trip, no sliding or even the slightest hint of it. So I thought to relieve the boredom I would switch to 2 wheel drive and boot it , #### me I thought I was going to die . Made mental note never to do that again.
        Any way just wanted to say Hi to you All
        Welcome to the nuthouse, beware grouchy old yetis

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
          do us a favor .....edit the post so the links work / as reading it is not easy

if you post the link in between the bits after clicking on the world /inifinty icon on the tool bar
          Whinge whinge whinge, thats all you b l o o d y do.
          Working at last.......

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
            And here, for the benefit of old windy guts is the edited version

Welcome to the nuthouse, beware grouchy old yetis

Trev
            Well stein is worse for wear than me ..........

BTW do not shout at him

Comment

Sorry maybe get the hang of it on the next post

Comment

Welcome

I just sold my FireBlade to buy a Surf.....no more cold-tyre scares 1st thing in the morning..

I believe the towbar from roughtrax is suitable for underslung spares (I have a 3rd gen with an underslung spare so am looking at getting one of these).

Comment

Hi n Welcome mate,
                  Good Luck with the Truck ....

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect any warning !!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks guys,

Do you think its necessary to change the idler bearings and adjuster with a timing belt change or will just the belt be ok

hi Ava_Banana yea i agree, bikes are fun in the summer but they aint fun in the winter. you giving up biking totally?
                    Last edited by firestorm; 1 January 2009, 23:12.

Comment

Originally posted by firestorm View Post
                      Thanks guys,

Do you think its necessary to change the idler bearings and adjuster with a timing belt change or will just the belt be ok

hi Ava_Banana yea i agree, bikes are fun in the summer but they aint fun in the winter. you giving up biking totally?
                      For now mate, for now...no money and no reason to have one at the moment. I used to commute on my 'Blade into London and had an enormous amout of really silly fun....but now work locally, it just isn't worth pulling the leathers on...and am a family man, so don't get to go out on the weekends just for a ride.

...one day though.....one day..

Comment

I know what you mean, i had a long break from biking for the same reasons. but my son is a teenager now. and dad picking him up from high school on the bike is a dam site cooler than a yellow school bus. so bikes are back in favour with the family. and he can arrive at school with full leathers body armour 'n' helmet, which in todays schools is a good safety feature?

Comment

Hi an welcome
                          How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Originally posted by firestorm View Post
                            Thanks guys,

It's not necessary, just like it's not necessary to change the belt at all. It's just stupid not to. And change the water pump whilst you're in there (if it's as awkward to get at on turd gens as it is on 2nd gens).
                            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                            X