Gurgling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gurgling?

Got my surf back from the garage ysterday, it seems to have more wrong with it than when it went in! I took it for a spin and i'm sure that when i'm doing about 80-85 there's a faint gurgling coming from behind the dash? My good lady said she thought it sounded like boiling water, so i told her to get out.....okay okay, i was thinking it too! I checked the temp gauge but no signs of anything to worry about. Could it be that it's been sat for 3 weeks and there's some air in there somewhere?

What did they do to it in the garage.

If they touched the cooling system...maybe it's airlocked.
    Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Originally posted by bensonsnuts
      What did they do to it in the garage.

If they touched the cooling system...maybe it's airlocked.
      I wish i knew, they were meant to be doing the clutch, but even that's not right.

Comment

Originally posted by SurfnTurf
        I wish i knew, they were meant to be doing the clutch, but even that's not right.
        Sounds like air in the cooling system, might not be bad enough to cause an airlock. A bit like sometimes you get at home in the central heating.

They shouldn't have had to distrurb the cooling system to change the clutch as it is easier to drop the gearbox than take out the engine.

With regards to the clutch, looks like you weren't at fault, I reckon your gerbox input shaft may be slightly bent causing the clutch release bearing to drag and not allow the clutch to fully release. Other than that the flywheel face is out of true and may need to be skimmed or replaced.

If it is still not holding fully with a new clutch and there is no burning oil smell, then there is definately something else wrong.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
          Sounds like air in the cooling system, might not be bad enough to cause an airlock. A bit like sometimes you get at home in the central heating.

They shouldn't have had to distrurb the cooling system to change the clutch as it is easier to drop the gearbox than take out the engine.

With regards to the clutch, looks like you weren't at fault, I reckon your gerbox input shaft may be slightly bent causing the clutch release bearing to drag and not allow the clutch to fully release. Other than that the flywheel face is out of true and may need to be skimmed or replaced.

If it is still not holding fully with a new clutch and there is no burning oil smell, then there is definately something else wrong.

Cheers
          Thanks for that guys,
          If it is air in there, how would i get rid of it?
          When i took it out last night, it was slipping in 5th at about 2500 rpm and a bit in 4th. When i got home it smelt similar to when the clutch went a few weeks ago.
          Lucky, am i right in thinking that the things you mentioned, flywheel/input shaft would cost me dear again?

Comment

Thanks for that guys,
            If it is air in there, how would i get rid of it?
            When i took it out last night, it was slipping in 5th at about 2500 rpm and a bit in 4th. When i got home it smelt similar to when the clutch went a few weeks ago.
            Lucky, am i right in thinking that the things you mentioned, flywheel/input shaft would cost me dear again?
            You betcha they are, unless you can get a second hand box or flywheel.

I'm hoping that what has happened is that yet again they haven't replaced the release bearing and the sticking is caused by that. They should pay for the labour and the release bearing would be pretty cheap.

If it is air in the system, best way to get rid of it is to let the car cool right down then start it up with the rad cap off. Run it for about 15 minutes with the cap off, occasionally squeezing the heater hoses (making sure that both heaters - if it has a rear heater, are switched on).

That should clear the air. You should also be able to see any other problems, like if the coolant is foaming up, could be the water pump on the way out or a cylinder head leak of combustion pressure.

You may find that the noise would go anyway after a couple of days but best not to chance it.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
              You betcha they are, unless you can get a second hand box or flywheel.

I'm hoping that what has happened is that yet again they haven't replaced the release bearing and the sticking is caused by that. They should pay for the labour and the release bearing would be pretty cheap.

If it is air in the system, best way to get rid of it is to let the car cool right down then start it up with the rad cap off. Run it for about 15 minutes with the cap off, occasionally squeezing the heater hoses (making sure that both heaters - if it has a rear heater, are switched on).

That should clear the air. You should also be able to see any other problems, like if the coolant is foaming up, could be the water pump on the way out or a cylinder head leak of combustion pressure.

You may find that the noise would go anyway after a couple of days but best not to chance it.

Cheers
              Just trying to clear the air now, how long should i leave it before i replace the rad cap?
              I'll mention the release bearing when i phone the garage,

Thanks again, Nick.

Comment

Just trying to clear the air now, how long should i leave it before i replace the rad cap?
                I'll mention the release bearing when i phone the garage,

Thanks again, Nick.
                After about 15 minutes will be fine.

Good luck with the Garage.

Cheers

Comment

I would dought a bent input shaft on gearbox as the input shaft has to run in a spigot bearing in the flywheel . If it was bent how ? and also the gearbox would not go in as the shaft would not engage the spigot bearing if the shaft was bent .

If still slipping with a new clutch again it sounds like the clutch is not the correct clamping pressure from the pressure plate .
                  Ive never known a brand new clutch slip straight after fitting .
                  Only other thing I can think of is clutch has not got enough free play on pedal and therefore holding clutch slightly down .

Rick
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                    I would dought a bent input shaft on gearbox as the input shaft has to run in a spigot bearing in the flywheel . If it was bent how ? and also the gearbox would not go in as the shaft would not engage the spigot bearing if the shaft was bent .

If still slipping with a new clutch again it sounds like the clutch is not the correct clamping pressure from the pressure plate .
                    Ive never known a brand new clutch slip straight after fitting .
                    Only other thing I can think of is clutch has not got enough free play on pedal and therefore holding clutch slightly down .

Rick
                    You are right that it is rare, have seen it on a Ford Cortina once a long time ago, bent enough to cause problems with the release bearing, not enough to stop it engaging in the spigot. Mind you there was also some quite serious clutch judder associated with it. You could only see that there was a problem by the wear marks on the input shaft.

The clutch free play is a good one I never thought of.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X