Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Surf any minute!

Hi Guys,
    I have been skulking around in these forums for a while now but have not posted very much at all.

The time has come however for me to go ahead with the purchase of a Surf.

I am going to look at this:

http://www.japanesecarimporters.co.u...ame=1078843058

And any others they might have knocking around on Saturday, I have been researching and as such have read alot of the material on this site. However, I have built up a bunch of questions that I would like to put to you knowledgeable people in order to make my world secure.

As you can see, I am eyeing a post '96 3rd Generation Surf with relatively low mileage. Alot of this is based around my desire to keep it forever.

Well, at least for quite a long time anyway. here's the questions:

1. Do all 3rd Generation models have ABS?
    2. How often is a timing belt replacement necessary, I get the impression it is about every 100,000 km, is this so?
    3. What are the key differences between an SSR-G/X and V?
    4. How much can I expect a timing belt change to cost me? I will be using Newbury 4X4 for my servicing (That which I do not do myself), it seems you guys think fairly highly of them?
    5. How much can I expect a set of tyres to cost, and what manner of tyre wear can I expect? I am new to 4X4's and as such am unnaccustomed to how much giant tyres may cost (Though I have lots of experience of oeverpriced tyres for sports cars and I gather 4X4 tyres are not so bad!). Can I expect to have to replace them all at once, or will the rears wear more than the fronts? Or vice versa? Obviously I gather some tyres are cheaper than others, a mid range and maybe a top end cost would be nice.

I think thats all I can think of, if any body has any horror stories about CCB that would be nice, but I get the impression they are okay. I am thinking I have most of my questions answered already anyway so with any luck the "sales process" will be academic.

Being new to 4X4's means that there may be new questions I am unaware of though so any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance, I will report back from my viewing on Saturday and look forward very much to getting involved with this forum when I have a Surf out on my driveway!

Kind Regards,

Jon.

Originally posted by shrapnel
    Hi Guys,
    I have been skulking around in these forums for a while now but have not posted very much at all.

The time has come however for me to go ahead with the purchase of a Surf.

I am going to look at this:

http://www.japanesecarimporters.co.u...ame=1078843058

And any others they might have knocking around on Saturday, I have been researching and as such have read alot of the material on this site. However, I have built up a bunch of questions that I would like to put to you knowledgeable people in order to make my world secure.

As you can see, I am eyeing a post '96 3rd Generation Surf with relatively low mileage. Alot of this is based around my desire to keep it forever.

Well, at least for quite a long time anyway. here's the questions:

1. Do all 3rd Generation models have ABS?
    Yes as far as I know
    2. How often is a timing belt replacement necessary, I get the impression it is about every 100,000 km, is this so?
    Yes
    3. What are the key differences between an SSR-G/X and V?
    You will never know, it seems the optional extras for these motors is endless and in Japan they seem to love the odd extra. I am willing to bet you will never see two SSRX or two SSRG with the same spec.
    4. How much can I expect a timing belt change to cost me? I will be using Newbury 4X4 for my servicing (That which I do not do myself), it seems you guys think fairly highly of them?
    The belt on the 3.0 is dead easy, do it yourself 1/2 hour job and the cost of the belt. At a garage the cost of the belt plus half an hours work, if they say it takes two hours they are liars.
    5. How much can I expect a set of tyres to cost, and what manner of tyre wear can I expect? I am new to 4X4's and as such am unnaccustomed to how much giant tyres may cost (Though I have lots of experience of oeverpriced tyres for sports cars and I gather 4X4 tyres are not so bad!). Can I expect to have to replace them all at once, or will the rears wear more than the fronts? Or vice versa? Obviously I gather some tyres are cheaper than others, a mid range and maybe a top end cost would be nice.
    Hmmm depends on what make, type eg road, all terrain, muds etc. But I would think if you budget around £75-£90 a corner you won't be far out, but shop around. My 31" x 10.5 X 15 BFG MT's were £380 for the four, The AT's were cheaper and the roads cheaper again.

I think thats all I can think of, if any body has any horror stories about CCB that would be nice, but I get the impression they are okay. I am thinking I have most of my questions answered already anyway so with any luck the "sales process" will be academic.

Being new to 4X4's means that there may be new questions I am unaware of though so any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance, I will report back from my viewing on Saturday and look forward very much to getting involved with this forum when I have a Surf out on my driveway!

Kind Regards,

Jon.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

I brought my 93 2nd gen from CCB and they were great, I've had no problems other then a little wheel balance which i sorted locally

Cheers

Adrian

Comment

Thanks for your quick responses guys, with any luck I will be behind the wheel of my own Surf before long

Jon.

Comment

what sort of fuel consumption do you guys get from 3.0 litre Surf's?

Regards,

Jon.

Comment

Hi Jon, I've just filled up my tank after a run to Cardiff and back over mixed M-way, fast dual carriageway and lots of single carriageway roads and up & down hills, so a fairly good mix. I've got 23 mpg on my 93 3.0L TD SSR-X Auto, which I think ain't bad as I was getting about the same out of the Volvo 940 2.3 LPT Estate (manual) I chopped in for the Surf last Saturday.

I'm due a run down to Southampton for a wedding in 2 weeks and as that is all M-way & D-C and I have a definite mpg for the Volvo doing the exact same run a few years back it will be a good comparison. At the moment, I'm happy with the Surf mpg, being that it's an Auto, 300kg heavier and 700cc bigger engine than the Volvo and city diesel's not that much more expensice that UL around here (76.5p).

Mike G
            Mike G

Comment

What size tank do they have?

What sort of range does this give them?

Regards,

Jon.

Comment

jon
                I filled my 3.0L up to the gunnels yesterday from it being very very low and cost £46 i couldnt tell you how many Ltr it was i tried to put a link up but im as thick as king thickit of thick land so put a search in for fuel tank capacity and it'll zoom ya to your answer....
                Last edited by firefly; 1 May 2004, 07:58.
                if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

help!!

hi, I know this question has prob been asked before but how do I post a new topic? think Iam being thick....
                  ANTZ

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel
                    What size tank do they have?

What sort of range does this give them?

Regards,

Jon.
                    you'll get about £45-£50 of fuel in and this will do 280-320 miles... all depending on what driving you're doing.

where in Newbury are you?
                    i.m in Thatcham and there's anothere bloke on here from Thatcham too.... a few in reading and Tony and Linda are near Basingstoke.
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by anthony whatford
                      hi, I know this question has prob been asked before but how do I post a new topic? think Iam being thick....
                      select general etc & go to new thread at top left corner
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

I am actually in Thatcham, but only moved here from Newbury in December so have not changed my profile.

Over on the Rivers Estate, near the Regency Park Hotel.

I went to CCB yesterday and was kindly given the impression from the sales guy that I was not welcome. Apparently there's "no point" in having a test drive unless you know you're going to buy the car! And naturally, to be have manners and good grace would be asking too much.

Basically, I told him that I was not intending to buy one there and then so he was not interested in telling me anything. And some fairly basic knowledge he couldn't tell me anyway (Such as the question about range), which I found quite disappointing.

However, the car I looked at was in very good condition so I think I might go ahead with it in a couple of weeks if it's still there (It's been there 5 weeks already!), I will get servicing at Newbury 4X4 so I guess once I drive it away I will have no more contact with CCB.

Maybe when I go back I will ask to deal with a different sales man.

Jon.

Comment

Hello,

CCB are overpriced the last time I looked as well as arrogant. I can recommend you look at Autosales at Hook and Porterploy in Basingstoke.

I also noticed a Surf at the dealer at the top of Old Newtown Road in Newbury but I have no idea what they know, etc.

Hope this helps. If you want to drive a 2nd Gen 3.0 let me know and you can have a go in mine.

Rich.
                          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Sorry forgot the links

http://www.autosalesathook.com/

http://www.porterploy.com/

Originally posted by rich
                            Hello,

CCB are overpriced the last time I looked as well as arrogant. I can recommend you look at Autosales at Hook and Porterploy in Basingstoke.

I also noticed a Surf at the dealer at the top of Old Newtown Road in Newbury but I have no idea what they know, etc.

Hope this helps. If you want to drive a 2nd Gen 3.0 let me know and you can have a go in mine.

Rich.
                            If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...&highlight=ccb
                              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                              My choice
                              Back off

Comment

Working...
                              X