Overland vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you call exceedingly good?

I really must get back to that mod that's been posted in the Oz forum about basically changing the turbos boost curve right down to no boost. They reckon they're getting way better economy.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
      i have the 3l engined 2.8 non turbo surf...
      Call me thick (I'm probably missing something) but I've seen this before - what do the two engine sizes (3l and 2.8) mean when referring to one vehicle? Does yours have a (tuned down) turbocharger, or none at all?
      Andy
      http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        What do you call exceedingly good?

I really must get back to that mod that's been posted in the Oz forum about basically changing the turbos boost curve right down to no boost. They reckon they're getting way better economy.
        well i reckon im getting around 30-35 mpg.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
          Call me thick (I'm probably missing something) but I've seen this before - what do the two engine sizes (3l and 2.8) mean when referring to one vehicle? Does yours have a (tuned down) turbocharger, or none at all?
          3L.naturally aspirated(non turbo).2.8ltr diesel engine.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

3L.naturally aspirated(non turbo).2.8ltr diesel engine.
            3L is the engine code, not size then? Gotcha.
            Andy

Comment

well i reckon im getting around 30-35 mpg.

I'm averaging 30mpg on the pickup, I normally fill up after 500km and its still got a safe amount of fuel left in it.
              I Love Wales

Comment

Hello mate, Im planning a similar trip and I woulg have gone for a land cruiser but didnt have the pennies so have got a m-reg 3 litre surf instead, Im totally happy with my choice.

I see no reason why this shouldnt cope, from my own experiences it will be more than enough, I drove a d*gshit scania 85 that was 2 wheel drive, had a broken difflock and no foam on the drivers seat. Some days we were covering 800k plus, we only got stuck twice and that was down to drivers error from Nairobi to Cape Town.

If you are stuck or broken down there is always hoards of people that will be on hand, only too happy to help in exhange for a few pennies (literally).

I myself wont be going for a snorkel or big bumpers or anything, I think its just not needed, its all about tyres and suspension....

Comment

Good stuff, would love to hear more about your trip? Where are you planning to go etc?

Like you said, happy that virtually any vehicle could manage the trip if coaxed into it, so a well looked after, powerful 4x4 shouldn't have any problems at all. Since we're doing it on a budget, a Surf is ideal. We're also hoping to keep it for any future trips once we get back...

One mod I thought might be useful would be a snorkel - I lived in Tanzania for a while and if you get stuck in the wet season, there can be some pretty deep rivers to get through where there should have been a bridge. But so long as time's on your side you can normally wait them out!
                  Andy

Comment

Whatever route is the safest at the time! I want to explore Namibia alot more as I loved it but yes with the ultimate goal of Cape Town then up the garden route towards Durban.

Its not something I would like to attempt in a solo vehicle though

Im toying with the idea of the Budapest to Bamako rally in Jan 2010 to make planning of the trip easier

http://www.budapestbamako.org/en/

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Is that the mod that uses a valve or something for enabling/disabling in one of the vac lines? Seem to vaguely remember seeing something about that.

Comment

So who's off to Africa?
                        @africa4x4cafe
                        [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

We are

Got ourselves a 1993 3.0 which we've started preparing. Not going till the start of 2011, hopefully, but buying a vehicle commits us to start planning (and they're cheap as chips just now).

Been reading your site with lots of interest - looks like you've been to virtually everywhere we want to visit. Lots of good ideas for modifications too. Who knows, we'll maybe see you on the way through.
                          Andy

Comment

Currently in Brighton, but you never know when we'll be at home in Zim so please keep us up to date with your travels. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask - can't always promise an answer though but I may know someone who can!
                            @africa4x4cafe
                            [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
                            X