4wd selection question - help needed pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TonyN View Post
    You'll confuse the hell out of him at this rate.

4H on a Multi-mode 3rd Gen is AWD. Use it anytime you like, it really dosn't matter, but a bit of a waste on normal road when you have 2H.

4HL locks the transfer case diff, this is for 'proper' offroading, and no good on hard surfaces.

4H is perfect for snowy roads and driving across fields/dirt where you have decent traction without digging holes or buggering up the surface like you would in 2H, You only need 4HL when it gets a big tougher going and the center diff starts working against you by taking power from one axle.

Work out how a diff works and what it does, then it becomes easy to understand how 2H and 4H will still only supply 100% power to one wheel, 4HL and 2HL supply 100% to one wheel on each axle.
    Tony I got the impression from his first post that he did not have multi mode.
    Hence my "your truck has neither"
    Last edited by yoshie; 15 November 2012, 21:45.
    Brian

Comment

• Originally posted by yoshie View Post

I get the impression he doesn't even have a Surf! (No details in user profile)

Comment

• Originally posted by yoshie View Post
        Hence my "your truck has neither"
        Ah right, Sorry, I didn't scroll that far back, he mentioned using AWD, so I assumed he had a Multi-mode 4WD, previous post shows he has a Part Time 4WD 3rd Gen, ignore me, you're right.

Coolfish, listen to Yoshie, you don't have AWD, my post above applies to Multi-mode 3rd Gens.

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        I get the impression he doesn't even have a Surf! (No details in user profile)
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

• Fellas, my head is gonna pop!

So when i press the 4wd button on my early third gen surf, just like the pic on the start of this thread, what happens and what makes the clunk noise?

Thanks,
          CJ

(also, am now updating my profile!)

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ Coolfish View Post
            Fellas, my head is gonna pop!

So when i press the 4wd button on my early third gen surf, just like the pic on the start of this thread, what happens and what makes the clunk noise?

Thanks,
            CJ

(also, am now updating my profile!)
            The clunk you can hear is the actuator motor on the transfer case engaging the front prop.

Comment

Working...
            X