Good Day Bad Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Day Bad Day

Been using the truck for the past 3weeks now as I garage my car over the winter. This morning however it was my wifes yearly check up after her cancer treatment so I decided to take her to hospital in the car.

I didn't even get to the end of my street when on turning a corner the car slid on black ice and hit a neighbours car!

Luckily no one was hurt and the damge to my car was fairly light and, so I thought, was the damage to the other car. I spoke to my neighbour and told him I would get straight back in touch with him after my wifes appointment.

Good news my wife is clear for another year! Which is more important to me and my family than anything else.

Bad news the other car is a write off. I pushed it into the kerb and it's bent the rear axle as well as the cosmetic damage. I went back along with the neighbour tonight and it's definitely bent on one back wheel. I don't want to go through insurance as A) I have a £250 excess and even with protected no claims I'm bound to get stuffed next year when I insure the car and the truck. B) My wifes policy doesn't allow any drivers that have been involved in an accident.

The other car was an R reg Rover 200 and was in very good nick. My neighbour says that if I stump up £500 I can have the car and that's the end of the matter. I can maybe get £50 back in scrap for it?

I think I'll just pay the £500 as I can't be arzed with any hassle but it's an awful lot of money to pull out at this time of year.

Thing is I'll get over losing the money in a couple of days but if it had been bad news about Laura I don't know how I would have coped.

Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 11 December 2008, 18:04.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Put it this way Jim: Excellent news about your wife, and I'm sure everyone is very pleased for both of you. Pretty good news on the car. If it had been a new Merc or your neighbour had been a tw@t things would be much more complicated.

As it is, I reckon you could probably get £200-£300 for the Rover as a breaker so you'd probably lose more paying your excess anyway.

Comment

Good news!!!!
      Really I mean it, I know its bad but at the end of the day if you had had bad news about your wife a problem like £500 would have seemed inconsequential. I know its hard to see it like that but shes ok and that is literally all that matters.

Also, it was a Rover

any point in buying it, fixing it and selling it on?

Comment

Very true gentlemen. My wife was going to get all upset about the damage but I told her it's only money, (as I bit my lip and swore under my breath). She's very fortunate to be here today and she went through hell during her treatment, so the good news far outweighed the problems caused by a little shunt.

£500 just means a few nights less festive drinking! (Well quite a few nights actually).

It's still going to be a very happy Christmas!!!

Comment

Glad to hear your wifes ok mate!!

I can understand the shunt is a pain in the ar$e.

Try an break it an make back as much money as you can. Or even just offer him to pick up an axle an get it replaced if thats cheaper..

Comment

Might see if I can fix it if I can find storage. A 3lb mash hammer and a tin of bodge and it'll be like new! As I said earlier it was in good condition.

Comment

Glad to hear the Wife's Ok Jim, shame about the prang .. dear price for a Rover, but small price to pay for wife's health tho ...
              Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect any warning !!!!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

good to hear youve got the right perspective.

Damage to your car - <£100
                Damage to your neighbors car - £500
                Your wifes health - Priceless

Have a good Christmas
                私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Good news on the good news bit.

Is the Rover taxed/MOT'd and insured? If so then do the deal, if it isn't then be cautious as to why he wants to let it go so easily.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    Good news on the good news bit.

Is the Rover taxed/MOT'd and insured? If so then do the deal, if it isn't then be cautious as to why he wants to let it go so easily.
                    He really dosent have much choice.
                    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Not sure if you realise it, but the £250 excess ONLY applies to any repair work needed to YOUR car. The damage to the neighbour's car is paid for in full by the insurance company. Given the circumstances (black ice) you might well get away without much of a premium increase next year, over and above the one we'll all have to pay, as the insurance companies are all putting their rates up next year anyway (insider information!!!).

Oh, and by the way. If you've had an accident and do not declare it to your insurers you could find that your insurance is invalid, which might be really inconvenient if you happen to skid into a brand new Range Rover next time!!
                      Mike G

Comment

If thats the case I would delete this thread if I were you as insiders do now scour forums and quote them back to policy holders

A guy on the bioduiesel forum whose house burned down found his policy was invalid as he had not declared that he was amking biodiesel in a nearby building.

Bear in mind the fire was nothing to do with the biodiesel and did not touch the building it was in.

the insurance company proved it by quoting back his posts to that forum discussing his biodiesel making.

Big Brother? been here for some time in its own way

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
                          Not sure if you realise it, but the £250 excess ONLY applies to any repair work needed to YOUR car. The damage to the neighbour's car is paid for in full by the insurance company. Given the circumstances (black ice) you might well get away without much of a premium increase next year, over and above the one we'll all have to pay, as the insurance companies are all putting their rates up next year anyway (insider information!!!).

Oh, and by the way. If you've had an accident and do not declare it to your insurers you could find that your insurance is invalid, which might be really inconvenient if you happen to skid into a brand new Range Rover next time!!
                          Lets put it this way mate, the very well known insurance company that I'm with doesn't like you having a bump / claim. In fact they may not re-insure me. My wife is with the same company and I know for a fact that they will not allow me on her policy as a named driver if I have had a bump / claim. I'm with them because they are always the best when I do an online search.

Why should I have to tell them about a small accident, where no one was injured, and both parties agree to settle without an insurance claim. Surely the insurance companies would prefer it this way?

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
                            Lets put it this way mate, the very well known insurance company that I'm with doesn't like you having a bump / claim. In fact they may not re-insure me. My wife is with the same company and I know for a fact that they will not allow me on her policy as a named driver if I have had a bump / claim. I'm with them because they are always the best when I do an online search.

Why should I have to tell them about a small accident, where no one was injured, and both parties agree to settle without an insurance claim. Surely the insurance companies would prefer it this way?
                            They just need to know. Its only if they found out you kept quiet.

To be honest mate, If they're that bad that they get sh!tty about claiming then i'd give adrian flux a call. Your surf with them? You can get discounts for two car policys.

Comment

Working...
                            X