Losing jobs etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing jobs etc.

Just picking up on a couple of things that have come up in other threads.
    There are a number of members who have had money/job worries and want ways to supplement their income abd there seem to be a number of tasks which members want done to their Surfs but are either extortionately expensive or the members dont feel skilled enough to do or don't have enough time to do.

Two things which have come up recently and would appeal to me are:

Waxoyl/undersealing
    I would be really interested in getting my Surf undersealed but keep being put off attempting it myself due to the stories of general trickiness, getting covered in it etc. etc.
    There are companies that do it for you but you're looking at £600 which is ridiculous for a vehicle that by the time it falls apart through rust can probably be replaced for less than that.
    For a couple of hundred or so i would be well up for getting it done.

Heat exchanger
    Plenty of members are using veg and havin to mix with higher concentrations of diesel (and therefore more money) in the winter months as well as maybe not helping their engines as much as they would be if they had a means fitted to heat the oil before it hits the injectors. I know there are certainly some that have looked at the various Heat Exchangers's sold on ebay etc but not bought them as they don't feel confident enough to fit them.

for anyone that has the means I reckon there is some work there is its something that would appeal to them and could be a nice way of some members who need it to get some more cash and other members to get stuff done to their Surfs.

Obviously it would need to be someone who is mechanically competant (before the ghost of the lincs landy thread starts haunting this one).

Just a thought.

Out of interest are there any other things that there seems to be a gap in the market for?

Waxoil if doing it outside which all most of us have. is best done in the warmer months .......it is not that bad a job either
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Now that is an interesting idea......(not that I have a Surf yet).

The company I was with a year ago has just gone into administration with the loss of 160 jobs.....I am lucky and got out when I did.

I am all for bartering skills/knowledge/goods to keep the wolves at bay.

Comment

Spray on waxoil is a complete doddle to do yourself, the biggest problem i see in this is the distance that members are away from each other.
        Roy
        When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

I know there are times when it is easier just to get a garage to do the work. For example the radiator on my Dad’s Rav-4 sprung a leak last week. Local garage supplied and fitted a new one for £182 all in whereas the local motor factor wanted £220 + vat just to supply.

£600 for Waxoil / underseal is a crazy price as others have said it is easy to do yourself. Paper overalls, plastic groundsheets, warm weather and an hour or two is all it takes. And the beauty of a Surf is that there is plenty of room underneath without the need for ramps etc.

If people are looking for an opening in the market, how about getting together to do body lifts / suspension upgrades or supply and fit intercoolers or whatever it is you do to a diesel engine to give it a tad more power.

Fitting snorkels has to be an option as I’m sure there must be plenty of people who are apprehensive about cutting holes in their Surf.

Supply and fit roof rails to 2nd gen Surfs... just need to tour the scrap yards / e-bay and clean them up and then fit to members trucks.

Find a source of buckets/containers/sieves and put together WVO straining kits to sell.

Adapt reptile heating mats so they can be fitted to the underside to diesel fuel tanks to heat your cooking oil overnight so the oil is warm in the morning. Would need some testing as to wattage / heat given out / timer fitted?

Window tinting, I know one member tried it for a while.

Graphics?

There are lots of things people could do as a sideline once you start thinking about it.

Ps, Supply / fit roof mounted lights.
          Last edited by PDR; 11 December 2008, 11:29.
          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Make the most of it while it is still legal to do modifications to your trucks, if people get there way then it won't be long before we can't do it at all.
            Roy
            When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Some good ideas there, but like roy says its the distances that some people will have to travel that will cause a problem. I'd like someone to do the heat exchanger on mine in the new year but don't want to be traveling to cornwall & the likes cos the cost of dino to get there would be too much. I would much prefer someone to come to my house instead then at least "god forbit" anything goes wrong the truck is in my garage & not a million miles away. I could take it to my local garage if i wanted but i don't trust garages full stop, i'd prefer someone who has done there own & knows what there on about rather than the garage saying "ye we'll have a bash at it mate", i know its a 12 year old truck but its mine & i want to keep hold of it for a long time. I don't mind paying garage prices if its done right. Im sure all surf owners love there trucks & i would assume that whoever does my heat exchanger will treat mine as if it were there own & do a 100% job.
              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

sounds good all id say is maybe with money troubles wot bout doing a "loabour swap" ie doing sumthing for each other,ps when i feel confident enough with airbrushing i'll be doing big discounts for everyone here

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                  sounds good all id say is maybe with money troubles wot bout doing a "loabour swap" ie doing sumthing for each other,ps when i feel confident enough with airbrushing i'll be doing big discounts for everyone here
                  Everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    Everyone?
                    yep even you as much as yr a pain the arse i kinda like u at times

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                      yep even you as much as yr a pain the arse i kinda like u at times
                      Wuss.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                        Wuss.
                        gotta say didn't have u down as the type tht would want airbrushing

Comment

A portrait on the bonnet ..........eh JC

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                            A portrait on the bonnet ..........eh JC
                            should i order some orange paint?

Comment

Practice halos

Comment

Working...
                              X