Quick battery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick battery question

I need to replace/ad to the lead acid gell batterys on the missis mob scooter, (looseing running time) am i right in thinking the amp hour is what i should go for? ie the higher the amp hour the longer the battery will last? the scooter has two of em wired to 24volts and the mobility shop's quoteing £55 each (be feckin cheaper to get two surf batterys for it) seen some on ebay for around £20 each which are 12 ah, highest ah i've seen so far,
    what i'm indenting doing is makeing a box thing on the back and wireing the two in there to 24v, then run the wireing through a changeover switch of some sort so she can switch between the two pairs of batterys, giveing it a back up power supply, ( the dam thiings run out of power twice now and i've had to push the fecker home)

this sound ok? gonna check what batterys are fitted when i take the houseing apart before i order any,
    what heavy duty switch do ya reccomend?, also i'll need to get a female chargeing jack the same as the original one,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Generally the higher th Ah rating, the longer they'll last and give more oomph.

Comment

As Vince says, the higher the Ah capacity, the longer they'll last on a given current draw. They'll also take longer to charge too, however. Switch wise, anything rated above the draw of the motors will be fine. Give it 5A or so extra just to err on the side of caution.

Comment

Just make sure that the switch is DC rated, I've seen the mess made after people have used AC switches rated at twice the current on DC circuits,
        Roy
        When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

I'm not an expert on batteries but I believe the cheaper ones will be sealed lead acid and the dearer are AGM. AGM batteries are better than sealed lead acid so if you can afford them get AGM.

Nev

Comment

They are certainly less sensitive to abuse than lead acid...

Personally, if your wallet would stretch to it, i'd go for Lithium polymer and give the old lady a bit more performance from her 'vehicle'
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Cheer's everyone, apprecieate the advise, odd is'nt it, as soon as ya mention mobility the price doubles,

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                Cheer's everyone, apprecieate the advise, odd is'nt it, as soon as ya mention mobility the price doubles,

Are the batteries in kiddie cars the same type? Might be cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  Check out Maplin etc too.

What rating are the ones in the scooter?
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

just took the battery tray apart and there are two of these in there, found some on ebay for £20 each same rateing etc, just have to check the diamentions, i will check maplins, CPC etc tho ta
                    Attached Files

Comment

You could do a google search for Yuasa, they make a lot of the batteries for motorbikes so you should find plenty of suppliers.
                      Alan
                      www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X