The Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Media

I have just been watching the news and there was a segment on job losses. Now… is there genuinely more job losses going on or is the media just reporting every company that is reducing their workforce. The company that I work for has stopped recruiting they say they are waiting to see which way the wind blows.

Originally posted by div3r View Post
    I have just been watching the news and there was a segment on job losses. Now… is there genuinely more job losses going on or is the media just reporting every company that is reducing their workforce. The company that I work for has stopped recruiting they say they are waiting to see which way the wind blows.

I think they're just reporting every company that reduces numbers. Typical media sensationalism. Mind this time last year? We were all melting the planet, now we're not spending enough, feck knows what we'll be doing wrong next Christmas...
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

erm... yeah, there are companies closing an cutting back all over the place!!

all our blokes are on a 4 day week... TNT have cut 5% of everything
      where i used to work have just laid off 14 blokes... another metal work company down the road have closed down.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
        erm... yeah, there are companies closing an cutting back all over the place!!

all our blokes are on a 4 day week... TNT have cut 5% of everything
        where i used to work have just laid off 14 blokes... another metal work company down the road have closed down.
        There are always companies closing and cutting back. It just never makes the news like it is just now. I've not noticed anything untowards here, the odd shop closing up and a pub shut down because of bad management (allegedly) but nothing more.

It's like plane crashes, they happen daily but don't get reported unless there's a big one, then all the wee ones get headline billing.

Comment

If the ten o’clock news reported there was going to be a shortage of baby milk, by tomorrow night the shelves would be empty and we would have a shortage, irrespective if it existed or not

Comment

Sainsbury and M&S don't have their usual rental trailers this year, and Tesco i know aren't half as busy as the usually are towards christmas (transport wise)...

they're usually crying out for drivers and paying big bucks lead up to christmas, but all the agency windows bare!!

Tarmac premix are closing a lot of plants adn i heard (duno how true) that they're cutting 40% of staff

we've had no work for Tarmac, hanson, lafarge, cemex or aggregate industries for nearly 6 months!!... construction is absolutely dead!... Hymix mixer hire have gone from over 50 mixers last year, to 7 nationwide and they're just losing another 2 franchisees.

Comment

If the ten o’clock news reported there was going to be a shortage of baby milk, by tomorrow night the shelves would be empty and we would have a shortage, irrespective if it existed or not
              is it any good in coffee??... might get some!!

Comment

It's all a pile of guff. The construction industry has been heading for meltdown for years, building way too many houses etc.. Sainsbury's, Tesco and M&S are losing out to Farm shops, farmers markets and Aldi and Lidl, not the 'Credit Crunch'. Almost everyone else that is cuting numbers is merely using the 'Credit Crunch' as an excuse. Scare mongering at its best.

Comment

i thought the construction industry was quiet because the houses that have been built aren't being sold... no-body can get a mortgage because a house costs 10 times their wages!

i agree that they've built too many industrial units though... there are loads around here that are empty and others half finished and put on hold.

Comment

I think most of the big industries would say there is a problem, Lexus have seen a downturn in sales by 57%, BMW, Jaguar are even worse off, Toyota have halved production, There Kentucky plant have not worked for over a month, they are doing work in the community, Derby plant have haved production with no night shift and still need to stop building 2 hours early every day and soon to go on a 4 day week, Honda are on a 4 day week and no night shift, JCB are deep in poo, to name but a few.

If you think this is just publicity then you need your head looking at, they may have started it but its a fact that its hear.
                    Roy
                    When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

That’s the point are we really in the poo or is it the media fanning the flames, look back to the fuel shortage at the beginning of the we kept being told that there wasn’t a shortage only for the media to either show garages with no fuel signs or people queuing round the block.

Which made us rush out and buy what fuel there was upping demand and creating a shortage.

Comment

That’s the point are we really in the poo or is it the media fanning the flames, look back to the fuel shortage at the beginning of the we kept being told that there wasn’t a shortage only for the media to either show garages with no fuel signs or people queuing round the block.

Which made us rush out and buy what fuel there was upping demand and creating a shortage.
                        Yes the media is fanning the flames, thats what they do, but this is the first time in my working life that there are so few jobs out there, it is not media hype that Toyota will soon be on a 24 hour week, from what was 90 hours, 4 months ago, this is not just this country, this is globally, as i said Kentucky plant have not worked for over a month and thats from 90 hours a week, thats quite a drop by anybodies standards.
                        Roy
                        When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Working...
                        X