Desert Fox shocks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Fox shocks!!

A bit long winded but dont be put off, read on and support our favorite friendly "roughtrax" (and no i aint on the payroll!)
    I ordered a pair of front procomps and Barry kindly phoned me back and offered me these as an alternative, he also asked me to review them, as i told him i'm probably the worst 4x4 owner to ask this of as i've not done much off road apart from some tentitive trundels on some rough stuff near me in nice weather but anyhow i'll do my best, he needs feedback on these (maybe some of our Australian members could oblige as these come from Aus) with a view to bulk ordering and as a probable alternative to the ever increaseing price of procomps, he estimates these will go for around the £39 mark depending on the £ and bulk rates, anyway i'll do my best till some more serious off roaders come along,
    They look impressive units, well made and finished, they are gas shocks and have the steel top shroud so ya wont need those plastic boots, this pair are the +2" and he assures me i will be able to get the matching rear ones soon,
    you can see the difference in the pics compaired with my old originals, stickers are neat and Barry said he thinking of comeing up with some more colourfull ones to "colour" up the top shrouds, (gonna ask Apache if he can do me some for the bodywork), these shocks have a 16mm (5/8th") piston and on looks alone they look far superior to the original,

OK, i'll stick more pics on when their fitted and as soon as the trucks back on the road i'll bounce it about at the local portsdown hill and report, meanwhile you more experienced mud plugger and suspension experts dont be shy, especiall you guys down under, (i always rated OME's till Hilux said they were duff)

Phone or email Barry for indivdual requirements/ prices/availability, etc
    cheers ian
    Attached Files
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

May need to replace all mine on the 3rd gen so may give Barry a ring and see if he does them for the 3rd gen aswell .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Ian, you say they're gas filled......
      can you prove it.
      http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

hmm may have to look into these
        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Tasty!!

Comment

if they have +2" front and +3" rear i would be very interested, or i will go TJM.

Comment

The bodies look very like ProComps actually. Probably made in the same factory - like the latest TJMs seem to be!
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Well at least they have a sleeve inside the lower mount so you can actually do the bolt up without bending the mounting bracket, unlike the ProComps. Or is that just my set that are like that?
                Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

Hehe. I just gripped the big steel washer / bush support with some grips. Easy. The top nut doesn't need to be mega-tight anyway.

Comment

I meant the lower mount on the wishbone. the original shocks have a sleeve inside the bush but the ProComps are just rubber, so you have nothing to tighten up onto and the bracket bends and distorts.
                    Those Desert Foxes seem to have a sleeve so will fit better.
                    Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

Are you sure??? I dont remember there being no sleeves in mine...

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny77 View Post
                        I meant the lower mount on the wishbone. the original shocks have a sleeve inside the bush but the ProComps are just rubber, so you have nothing to tighten up onto and the bracket bends and distorts.
                        Those Desert Foxes seem to have a sleeve so will fit better.
                        Mine came with sleeves but they were far to narrow to get the bolt in so they got left out.

Comment

Keep the comments comeing, cant prove they have gas in em Ant and i'm fecked if i'm gonna drill a hole in to see, as far as i know the lower fitting SHOULD ALWAYS have a steel sleeve, or they will wear very quickly, aint checked the bolt on these but it looks entirly similar to the olduns,

where's our Aus guys then?
                          Last edited by POPEYE; 4 December 2008, 13:13.

Comment

Just checked and the bush size is exactly the same as the old one, so no prob there, a point in favor over the procomps i guess, bolt size is M16 (ish)

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                              Keep the comments comeing, cant prove they have gas in em Ant and i'm fecked if i'm gonna drill a hole in to see, as far as i know the lower fitting SHOULD ALWAYS have a steel sleeve, or they will wear very quickly, aint checked the bolt on these but it looks entirly similar to the olduns,

where's our Aus guys then?

Go on it'll be fun
                              http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X