Internet provider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leodis
    Dont buy anything from pcworld if you can avoid it they are the computer equivalent of halfrauds check out some of the online retailers for a lot better deal
    These are worth a look , it's not often they are beaten on price.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I can also recommend Expansys for help, and for good prices.

John
      http://members.dodo.com.au/burston/drinkofbeer.gifA pint of lunatic soup please!

Comment

Or pop round Jotto's he got broadband, run a lead from his

Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Try Rl Supplies as they are on your doorstep in Tolpitts lane Watford and they will talk you through what you need to do not just give you the boxes and take your money
          Last edited by mark g8awo; 25 April 2004, 14:49.
          Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
            Or pop round Jotto's he got broadband, run a lead from his

Mmmmmm , sounds a good option . I seemed to spend most of last month round there helping build 'The Vagrant' so i could have laid a lead on the way back !
            Still might be an option

Hi Jon mate ...........

Rick
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I have BT ADSL - I've had no problems in the 2 years it's been in.. thinking of going the wireless router route ourselves soon so we can both be online at the same time. Let me know how you get on!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                Can anyone suggest a RELIABLE internet provider that will allow me to use 2 different computers on any phone line I have .
                At the moment I am with AOL and it is stopping me from alot of access to things like the chat room and downloading the off road videos . I have been told by a number of you that AOL is the prob .
                This is the situation . I have my wifes laptop I can use anywhere in the house on the home line with any extension in most rooms or wifes buisness line , no prob . Main computer is on wifes buisness line in office , no other extention in house .
                So if I want to be on line when she is using main computer I can plug laptop in anywhere to use internet . At evening time I sit in front of telly with laptop and plug in home line , no prob . Or when she is away from main computer I can dial in on this one on her buisness line . She does not want me upstairs on this computer and leave her on her own downstairs (it a love thing Ive been informed)
                If I was to get Broadband it would restict me to 1 computer and 1 line ?
                If anyone knows an answer you can have my 'Lauras star of the week '
                So , any computer from any phone line at a reasonable cost - that is your challange

Rick
                I have Easynet ADSL, 2 years, only problem was when lightening caused a power surge and cooked the router, fixed in 2 days (1 of these I was out of the country on business.

You need to make sure if you get ADSL that you don't get the USB type of Hub as it won't support multiple connections, if the provider gives you that type then visit PC world and get a Ethernet one.

Get a wireless one as well and then you can get a wireless PCMCIA card for the laptop and connect anywhere including the garden.

Cheers

Comment

Broardband/Modem sharing.

The best way to go is to get a wireless Router/Hub. These come with an inbuilt firewall. It does mean that you need to connect to your main PC but all the others will work through that. Have a look at this site. It has lots of info regarding Hubs/Routers Cable Modems etc.

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/

Hope this helps

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by bladeyboy
                    The best way to go is to get a wireless Router/Hub. These come with an inbuilt firewall. It does mean that you need to connect to your main PC but all the others will work through that. Have a look at this site. It has lots of info regarding Hubs/Routers Cable Modems etc.

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/

Hope this helps

Steve
                    I have a non wireless router with a 4 port hub built in. The Base station is connected to one of the ports and my home PC and my daughter's are both connected to other ports.

I can connect to my PC over the LAN if I have it switched on, or just connect to the ADSL link from my laptop over wireless. Only issue with this is that I need to have the home PC switched on to use the printer as it is a parallel connected printer off my home PC rather than a LAN based one.

I run firewalls on each of my PCs rather than a central one.

Mind you this arrangement also requires that the Service provider gives you fixed IP addresses - I have up to 4 plus one for the router / gateway.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X