Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everybody!

Hey,

I'm new here. And new to the Hilux Surf too. Here's how things are for me..
    I am thinking of buying a '94 Hilux Surf (auto). I have had it for several weeks now (borrowed from a friend) and he asked me if I wanted to buy it. So I would like to know a few things from people who know about Surfs before I decide on what I should do.

It's a 3.0 turbo desiel, I didn't see an intercooler anywhere though.

How much should I get from a tank of desiel?
    I'm getting about 400. How bad is that?
    400 just does not seem right to me. Considering it is all highway driving.

It has done over 222,000km.
    My friend has had it for about three years... He put about 70,000 of that on there, he took good care of it. But how long do these generally last?
    What will be going wrong about this time?

What else should I look for?

Thanks in advance!

I'm from New Zealand by the way, and thats 400km per 50liters...

Comment

juice sounds about right mate.
      i have had mine a while now and no real problems, my mileage is low but i believe these are fairly indestructable.
      if the price is right you shouldn't go wrong.

Comment

Hi and welcome Koz, if you sign up on the Aus site and find a guy with the user name "Simon O" he's in NZ and will put you right, aint heard from him for a while so assumeing he's still on there (and here occaisionly),
        as he said fuel consp seems about right, make sure it opperates in 4wd ok and do all the useual checks you'd do on a second hand car, if you buy give it a dam good serviceing, oils, coolant flush etc etc, post some pics if ya get it

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Hi n Welcome Bud, One more thing to remember as this is a 2nd Gen ya got ...
          Only put it in 4wd on the slippery stuff (Mud, Loose gravel, Snow etc) n NOT on Tarmac n you'll be alright ...Enjoy

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a warning !!!!
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Errr...

So I've had the hilux for about 4 months now, still "borrowed". I put on close to 18,000km on it in this time.

And I think, I blew the engine on Sunday.

I was driving driving home, and as i took off from the traffic lights, there was a slight knock when it changed gears. Alot of black smoke for less than a minuite, and stopped. And the temprature sky rocketed. (Lucky I was nearly home!)

There was no water in the radiator by the time i got home, and nearly no oil. I'd checked the oil water on Boxing day, so I'm not too sure what happened there.
            Motor still starts up, when i got some oil and water put in there wasn't much black smoke, but it was still there. (I have not driven it since)
            Any ideas?

I talked to a friend who works for a wrecker, he reckons that a 3rd Gen engine would bolt straight on, and would give me more power and better economy.
            Is this true?
            He said the only problem would be the electricals. Is this also true?

Would it be worth doing an engine swap and keeping it? Or selling it for parts and be done with it?
            It's in immaculate condition otherwise.

What do you guys think?
            Anything at all would be great.

Comment

its a lot of hassle to put a 3rd gen or other motors engine in.If you can get another 2ndgen kzn130 engine to go in there then do that.Just a pity you are so far away as i have a engine here that is sounding beautiful.I have got a rebuilt head to go on it aswell.If this engine doesn't sell then i will keep it for spare for myself.
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I thought it was the same engine as the 2nd gen - if so, I'm not sure how it would give more power and better economy.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

[quote=Apache;518051]I thought it was the same engine as the 2nd gen

Me too!!
                  http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    I thought it was the same engine as the 2nd gen - if so, I'm not sure how it would give more power and better economy.
                    From what I have been told, it is slightly different and it has an intercooler.

Comment

Originally posted by koz View Post
                      Not all 3rd gens have intercoolers, only the intercooled ones. Welcome too.

The engine is a 1kz-te in a 3rd gen which is the same as the 2nd. The intercooler wasn't an option on the 2nd gens, but still the same engine.
                      Last edited by Antshiel; 9 January 2009, 11:38.

Comment

Originally posted by koz View Post
                        pretty sure it has the same engine.

[quote=Antshiel;518052]
                        I thought it was the same engine as the 2nd gen
                        why aint you at work..lathey bonthe

and you !!
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

[quote=gwh200;518055]pretty sure it has the same engine.

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
                          why aint you at work..lathey bonthe

and you !!
                          Late start, coth i can, working for me now.

Comment

Hi an welcome
                            How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Working...
                            X