2 batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 batteries

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how hard / easy it is to add two batteries to a one battery surf? Also, what is included in the 'winter pack' on these trucks, and does it really make a difference in the winter in Scotland? Thanks!

Do you mean a split charge set-up?

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/battery.htm

Comment

why are you wanting two batteries - or more precisely - what are you wanting the second battery to do? - one designated purely for starting or a second battery for feeeding non ignition sources ie fridge - work lights etc
      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

I am considering how big a deal having a SSR-G with the two batteries is compared to a SSR-X with the one battery. This is factory fitted gear AFAIAA.

Comment

My SSR-X had two batteries!

It's generally the very basic models that only had one battery as they didn't have all the gadgets like electric windows, air-con ect.

Comment

I am looking at a 3rd gen SSR-X, looks well spec'd, dealer says it only has one battery, I guess he could be wrong??

Comment

Originally posted by joecuba View Post
              I am looking at a 3rd gen SSR-X, looks well spec'd, dealer says it only has one battery, I guess he could be wrong??
              If it's well spec'd then I guess the original dual batteries could have been replaced with one high CCA battery.

Comment

I have pics now, only one battery. I don't think the second was removed. Is this a big deal? Does this mean the vehicle doesn't have a winter pack?

Comment

It doesn't mean anything really. Spec was pretty random depending on what the first owner chose. If the single battery starts the vehicle OK in all conditions, and you dont run loads of gadgets with the engine off, dont worry about it.

If you DO have loads of gadgets / big spotlamps all over it, dont run them with the engine off. Fine with the engine running because the load will be taken by the alternator - and if its more than that, one battery or two, you're gonna drain em.
                  Last edited by Apache; 24 November 2008, 14:25.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Like apache says its not how many battries, its how your using them that matter. I have an ssr-x with one battery & it runs my spots "X4" tv, radio, gun lamp & million candle power spot light with no problems. At least if you have the one battery surf its less that can go wrong, same with intercooled or non intercooled theres not much differance & again less things to go wrong with it.
                    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                      same with intercooled or non intercooled theres not much differance
                      Apart from the 10-15% power difference.....

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        My SSR-X had two batteries!

It's generally the very basic models that only had one battery as they didn't have all the gadgets like electric windows, air-con ect.
                        that is not quite true... the top of the 2nd gen Surf range namely the SSR-G 3:0 V6 (VZN130) only has a single battery.... but then of course it is a petrol engine that is easier to turn over than a battery draining diesel.
                        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                          Apart from the 10-15% power difference.....
                          ye but you can't really tell its there, unless your red lining it everywhere.
                          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys, there is in fact a big thread in the FAQ section about this I forgot to look there.

Looks like the one I was looking at has slipped through my hands anyway, back to the drawing board.

Getting fed up now looking for one, it's a right b****rd when you can't just go kick the tyres etc etc, all the good ones are miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by joecuba View Post
                              Thanks guys, there is in fact a big thread in the FAQ section about this I forgot to look there.

Looks like the one I was looking at has slipped through my hands anyway, back to the drawing board.

Getting fed up now looking for one, it's a right b****rd when you can't just go kick the tyres etc etc, all the good ones are miles away.
                              gotta be worth travelling then???

Comment

Working...
                              X