mobile phone contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobile phone contracts

does anyone know what the cooling off period is on mobile phone contracts is?

reason i ask is because i changed phone, then got a better deal elsewhere... they said i had 14 days to return it... so i returned it... and the other day it popped back through my letterbox and they're saying it's only 7 days...
    just spoke to another and they say by law it's 14 days... so, which is it??

i need to know cos i'm stuck with 2 mobile phones eating away the bank balance at the mo!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Originally posted by dabigman
    does anyone know what the cooling off period is on mobile phone contracts is?

reason i ask is because i changed phone, then got a better deal elsewhere... they said i had 14 days to return it... so i returned it... and the other day it popped back through my letterbox and they're saying it's only 7 days...
    just spoke to another and they say by law it's 14 days... so, which is it??

i need to know cos i'm stuck with 2 mobile phones eating away the bank balance at the mo!

It is 14 days. I just had an upgrade on my phone and was told if I did not like the phone I could return it within 14 days. This was with o2.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Definatly 14 days, by law .If they are not having that then just get in touch with trading standards, they'll help you out.

Andy.

Comment

only thing i could find was the distance selling regs and that says 7 days... would that be 14 days from the day i get it to the day i send it back or from when they send it to when they get it back?

and is it 14 working days?

Comment

Hi Matt,

I assume that when you upgraded you signed a contract?? The contract will state the period in which you may return the goods. If you signed then you are bound by it (As are they).

The only time that you can take it back after any stated period is if the goods are faulty.

Rich.

Trading Standards leaflet http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0043-1011.txt
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

I bought my daughter a new O2 mobile in December and she later decided that she didn't want it so I returned it. The "cooling off" period is definitely 14 days but even though we never activated the phone, I was charged the daily equivalent of the line rental for the period between buying the phone and returning it.

Comment

ok, i got told today by another mobile phone "vendor" that it's in the "consumer goods act 1978" that i definately have 14 days.... BUT... all i can find is the "sale of goods act" and all that says is that as it's mail order, i get a certain evaluation period as i didn't see it before the sale... it doesn't say anywhere how long i get to evaluate...

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                ok, i got told today by another mobile phone "vendor" that it's in the "consumer goods act 1978" that i definately have 14 days.... BUT... all i can find is the "sale of goods act" and all that says is that as it's mail order, i get a certain evaluation period as i didn't see it before the sale... it doesn't say anywhere how long i get to evaluate...

I think you will find seven days is the statutory period by law, most companies give 14 days. I think you need to refer to the Supply Of Goods act rather than the consumer goods act.
                I think also the cooling off period starts from when you agree the contract and needs to be in writing as well.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/homeshop.htm

http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/cpdsr.html

http://www.oft.gov.uk/Consumer/Your+...e+ordering.htm
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Working...
                X