The 33's Are On! (Long Story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 33's Are On! (Long Story)

Get a cup of coffee and a biscuit, this is a bit of a saga.

So the day finally arrived! Set off this morning at 5 o'clock heading for Derby to pick up the 33's that Rod Leach put me wise to.

Don't let anyone tell you the roads are quiet at 5 in the morning! After a few hours I'd managed to get fairly close to where the tyres were and then the sat nav took a hissy fit. Well not really as the tyres were on a farm in the middle of nowhere ( sat navs don't like the middle of nowhere).

Phoned Keith up and between him, the sat nav and some friendly locals, I managed to find the place.

Keith (Keef from the Elite4x4 forum), very kindly swapped the wheels over for me and the first thing we noticed was that they stuck out too far from the body, due to the wheel spacers I had fitted.

We had to take the front spacers off as the tyre was catching the wheel arch extension (more of that later). Even though I have a 2" suspension lift and 2" body lift the tyre still rubs the inner arch on right hand down full lock!

The journey home was fine, the truck sat at 55mph to 65mph on the motorway no problem. The ride wasn't a lot different to what it was on BF Goodrich A/T's to be honest, but there is quite a bit more road noise (naturally). I have to say the noise wasn't too bad and it did depend on the road surface. I wouldn't recommend muds if you do a lot of motorway miles.

Stopped off for a coffee on the way back, and to my great surprise the locking wheel nut adaptor was still sitting on the side step!!!!

Also got this spare with the tyre deal.

Did a total of 350 mile round trip and must say although it was worth it I'm totaly knackered! Will post some more details tomorrow after I recover (I'm getting too old for this)!!!!!
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Looks good

I used to have Marshall Venture tyres on Hippo, they are not too bad on the motorways and wear well.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

i got the khumo ventura 33's on my truck and they are exactly the same as yours.I've had mine on for a year now and hardly any wear on them.I don't care about the road noise but they are a good tyre.
      I got mine fitted onto 15x10 rims and they used to rub on full lock and on the edge of the bumper trim.I took a hammer to the end of the sill and cut the mudflaps a bit to stop the rubbing and trimmed a bit on the edge of the bumper trim
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Looks good, Did you re-gear the thirds too?

Comment

Well done Jim, it certainly improves the "look", much meaner, and you were very lucky with that nut adaptor, i think i'm in for the same rubbing problem,
          i have (or will have) the same lift as you and with my reversed rims the wheels stick out further than they did with spacers on, my 31's just catch with two up in the cab so have to wait and see, prob have to take a hammer to it like Rich, any probs with the tracking/camber etc? it looks fine in the pics, did'nt want to wander left or right?
          got mine all jacked up ready to start, one BIG pile of wheels and tyres to take down for changeing over, (got to get a price, whats reasonable?)
          a private plumbing jobs gonna delay me but only 2-3 days, starting on the front first bj's and lockers. then tackal the springs, seems to be enough clearance in the garage for me to do it in there, nice and warm if a bit cramped, only thing that worries me is if the bugger falls sideways and squashes me against the wall plenty of stands and blocks of wood tho,

gavman!! regear the thirds?????
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by gavman View Post
            Sorry mate, you've lost me with that one?

Comment

My BFGs stick out about that far too (-32 offset 10" wide wheels though), and I get mudflap rubbing on full lock, but thats all.

Sticking out is handy as sometimes things get a bit tight (happy valley for one) and its better that the extremes of the truck are rubber
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Ian, doesn't seem to be any tracking / camber problems, will get a better look tomorrow after I wash the mud off!

Ran straight as a die up the motorway, no wandering, very little wheel wobble and that was when I hit 70, dropped it back to 65 and it was fine. I guess muds weren't built for speed eh?

Going to try and clean the chromes up a bit, they're fairly pitted in places, but as I want to carry on green laning I can't expect them to remain spotless anyway. The whole point of getting the muds was to mix normal running with some green laning and these Marshalls seem to fit the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  My BFGs stick out about that far too (-32 offset 10" wide wheels though), and I get mudflap rubbing on full lock, but thats all.

Sticking out is handy as sometimes things get a bit tight (happy valley for one) and its better that the extremes of the truck are rubber
                  Andy, I'd be quite happy to put the spacers back and remove the wheel arch extension to get rid of the rub, but I thought it was illegal for the wheel / tyre to stick out from the body?

Comment

mine have been sticking out for a year now and nothing been said.You may get a shitty copper one day who stops you and tells you to get something done by it but till then leave the spacers on

Comment

you can see how far they stick out and i have never been questioned about it yet

Comment

Cheers Stormy, I had considered selling the spacers but now it looks like the arch extension is coming off and the spacers are going back on. Woohoo!

BTW, once again many, many thanks to Rod Leach who went out of his way to help me get these tyres. I owe you one mate.

Comment

where abouts on the arc is the tyre catching as you may just be able to trim it a bit.If its on the front of the bumper trim then that can be trimmed no trouble.
                          I would certainly try to trim up a bit before stripping the arches off tho

Comment

Richard, it's just the little arch extension that bolts to the bumper. Don't really want to trim them as they're a bugga to get hold of second hand.

Although if a couple come up cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by gavman View Post
                              Looking good Jim!

Our Canadian friend is refering to altering the differential ratios.

cheers,
                              chris