yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

directional tyres - matching spare or non directional spare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• directional tyres - matching spare or non directional spare?

I have my 4x kumho KL71's to be stuck on the trusk as soon as the body lift is done and was going to get one as a spare. As KL71's are directional tyres this means that I will have a spare that technically can only replace two of the tyres.

so, is it better to get a spare that is non directional?

Plus points I see are:
    You could comfortably use it for any of the tyres that fail and not have to immediately seek a replacement

Negatives are:
    I would have to ensure that it was a brand that truly came up at the same height as the KL71's (although they are 33's different brands true sizes differ)
    I wouldnt be able to use the spare as part of the tyre rotation (i.e. swapping to different corners for even wear)

Questions are:

I think that you can use directional tyres in the 'wrong direction' though this is not ideal. Is it that bad or fine really and just doesnt allow them to perform at optimum?

I seem to remember reading that you shouldn't really rotate directional tyres (i.e. in terms of pulling them off the rims and swopping sides for even wear) as they develop a wear dependant on road camber etc. that makes it inadvisable to swop them and will increase tyre vibration etc.

I think it makes sense to have all matching and just get the spare off the vehicle asap if you are using it in the wrong direction but will bow to anyones superior knowledge

I'd just get a KL71 as a spare mate.

A different tread pattern could cause just as many issues as a directional tyre going the wrong way.

Like you said, Its best to get a puncture sorted out asap anyway.

Comment

...and as if by magic the tyre guru appeared!

cheers Rod!

Comment

well having seen car tyres put on the wrong way round i wouldn't advise it to public,but if your sensible,if u had to do it i would say it would be ok to get you to the garage,but no further

Comment

Directional tyres are directional for a reason, normally a traction and water clearing issue. Bear that in mind. At high speeds or heavy load the tread pattern will be working against its design direction. This could lead to overheating and trad possibly delaminating. However, the tyre manufactures, I would hope, take your situation into account. There will be a fail safe factor to allow you to do this. It's probably more applicable to high performance vehicles were loads and stresses are very much higher than on a rambling Surf! Oh, you may get stuck in the mud more easily!
          That'll fit!

Comment

Keep them all the same mate, ive not had a flat tyre in about 6 years, not saying you won't but if you do its a 2 in 4 chance it will be the right direction anyway
            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
              Keep them all the same mate, ive not had a flat tyre in about 6 years, not saying you won't but if you do its a 2 in 4 chance it will be the right direction anyway
              that's almost 50%!!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

the chances of puncturing one of the kl71s is pretty slim,ive thrown alsorts of terrain at the ones i had and never had a problem with them,they have triple ply sidewalls as well for added protection.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                X