free wheeling hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free wheeling hubs

hi all can someone tell me wot are the benefits of fitting manual front hubs and isn't it better that i have auto hubs don't get my hands dirty sorry if i should now better

They save wear on the drive train as its not turning when it doesnt need to be. Also reduce friction so should (theoretically) get you slightly more MPG.

Main reason most people fit them is if you lift your vehicle at all it will increase the angle of the CV joints which if they are turning all the time (rather than just when you are off tarmac if you have free wheeling hubs) you will chew through CV boots like theres no tomorrow which are a pain to keep replacing.

Oh and they look like well cooool innit

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
      They save wear on the drive train as its not turning when it doesnt need to be. Also reduce friction so should (theoretically) get you slightly more MPG.

Main reason most people fit them is if you lift your vehicle at all it will increase the angle of the CV joints which if they are turning all the time (rather than just when you are off tarmac if you have free wheeling hubs) you will chew through CV boots like theres no tomorrow which are a pain to keep replacing.

Oh and they look like well cooool innit
      thanks for that might be the next job then

Comment

Just ordered em, he said it was the last pair they had till more come in,
        sorry
        http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=148&vid=1139
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

You don't have auto hubs, you (or rather the Surf) has ADD. If you lock he hubs before you get to the dirty stuff you can use the vehicles ADD system and you won't get your hands dirty.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
            You don't have auto hubs, you (or rather the Surf) has ADD. If you lock he hubs before you get to the dirty stuff you can use the vehicles ADD system and you won't get your hands dirty.

Nev
            I'm lost I'm lost my old shogun had auto hubs doesn't my surf Wat's add? how do they work love m love me I'm thick

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
              I'm lost I'm lost my old shogun had auto hubs doesn't my surf Wat's add? how do they work love m love me I'm thick

What hes saying is (i think) the surf has automatic disconnect drive, ADD, the hubs dont disconnect but the transmission on the transfer box does, this means that when you are driveing normally on road (4wd off,) all the components from the wheels to the disconnected dif are turning, but they are being turned by the rotation of the front wheels, when ya select 4wd the dif engages and your front wheels then are driven by the diff,
              now the benifiet of manual locking hubs is than when you are driveing normally (4wd off) and your manual hubs disconnected (off) only the front wheels rotate, the rest of the componants are not moveing (wearing, less friction, etc) this is especially benificial if you have a sus lift that makes the angle of the front driveshafts more acute than standard, thus buggering the drive shaft rubber boots quicker, manual hubs off means all this stuff is'nt turning all the time,
              i think what Nev means is if say your planning on going off road!, before you set off you can lock the hubs (outside ya house) as opposed to messing about in the mud when you get there, hope i got all this right,

christ hark at me, the five minuit expert
              Last edited by POPEYE; 8 November 2008, 13:10.

Comment

got it . thanks all the best

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  What hes saying is (i think) the surf has automatic disconnect drive, ADD, the hubs dont disconnect but the transmission on the transfer box does, this means that when you are driveing normally on road (4wd off,) all the components from the wheels to the disconnected dif are turning, but they are being turned by the rotation of the front wheels, when ya select 4wd the dif engages and your front wheels then are driven by the diff,
                  now the benifiet of manual locking hubs is than when you are driveing normally (4wd off) and your manual hubs disconnected (off) only the front wheels rotate, the rest of the componants are not moveing (wearing, less friction, etc) this is especially benificial if you have a sus lift that makes the angle of the front driveshafts more acute than standard, thus buggering the drive shaft rubber boots quicker, manual hubs off means all this stuff is'nt turning all the time,
                  i think what Nev means is if say your planning on going off road!, before you set off you can lock the hubs (outside ya house) as opposed to messing about in the mud when you get there, hope i got all this right,

christ hark at me, the five minuit expert
                  That's a very good explanation. Saved me doing much typing.

Nev

Comment

Would free wheel hubs from a Townace fit a Hilux ?? Because if they do, theres a second hand pair on the bay at 60 pounds BIN including postage

Bogus
                    Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                      Would free wheel hubs from a Townace fit a Hilux ?? Because if they do, theres a second hand pair on the bay at 60 pounds BIN including postage

Bogus
                      Dunno mate, too late for me anyway, just ordered em from roughtrax, best part of £140 all in,

and cheers Nev, just glad i got it right as opposed to looking a dick like i useually do

Comment

Working...
                      X