Gutted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutted

Each year at the beginning of November a group of us go out to supermarkets with our military vehicles collecting for the poppy appeal, this year the new supermarket manager says he doesn't want military vehicles cluttering up the car park, what a git, we only take 4 vehicles & one of them is a 1940s motorbike, I don't get him, the managers of other supermarkets including some in the same chain have welcomed other military vehicle enthusiasts to their stores.

I can't sit back & do nothing so what do you think I should do?

Turn up anyway & then inform the local papers when he tries to get rid of us or appeal to his better nature.
    I'm not a complete idiot.......

My kneecap was removed in 1981

He sounds a bit small minded, but there's nothing to stop you going and collecting without taking the vehicles.

Comment

There's nothing to stop you taking the vehicles so long as you use the shop.

Talk to his boss, he sounds like a tw@t...
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Got any tanks with working guns you could take down there?

Comment

We did do that once & didn't raise half as much as we do when we take the vehicles, the veterans will be there collecting anyway but the vehicles always boosts the funds, last year we filled all the collection tins & sold all the poppies, the same happened last week in a town not too far from here so we know that the vehicles make a big difference.

Comment

I doubt there's much he can do to stop you taking the vehicles even if you don't use the shop. Just park them there and wait for him to tell you to move them.

Comment

Take the vehicles and ignore him.

It's not HIS carpark, and I doubt the owners of the chain would take to kindly to his stance if the media got a hold of it.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                Take the vehicles and ignore him.

It's not HIS carpark, and I doubt the owners of the chain would take to kindly to his stance if the media got a hold of it.
                HERE HERE,
                F**K him, tell him you have a friend in the media who would like to come down & have a word as to why,that will shut him up "the git"
                If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

call up the events dept of the poppy appeal explain the situation and they'll probably sort it out. Was most ikely them that liased with the chain to get agreement to do the collections.

If that doesnt work call up the head office of the chain of the supermarket. Ask to be put through to the press dept, be very professional explain that this has been done in years past and makes it a huge success and very press friendly and that you have had press sniffing around now theyve heard this guy is tring to stop it. Tell them you thought they should know. that should sort it

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll go to the poppy appeal organisers first & see if they can have a word with the manager, the new manager thinks that we've never been there & done it before but I have photo's from last year.

I'm the gimp in the desert gear.

Cheers
                    Ian
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rambling angler View Post
                      I'm the gimp in the desert gear.

Cheers
                      Ian

Thats better than being in gimp gear in the desert!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

I doubt the owners of the chain would take to kindly to his stance if the media got a hold of it.
                        Apache's spot on with this one, a few of our local big stores refused to take poppy boxes claiming their counters "were not big enouth"

Our local rag got involved and hey presto they suddenly changes their tune
                        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Most likely the store manager doesn't want to offend 'minority groups' who use his store by parking British army vehicles outside!!
                          'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

F##k the manager and the minority group's, the managers a tw@t and the minority group's can sod off back to the land of their forfathers if they dont like it, their in britain now! you go along there and if he says owt get the local press involved, we have squaddies at our local asda quite often, the young ones offer to help with packing and theres a bucket for donations, no pressure (unlike the "big issue" floggers) and it's good to see them and their vehicles, keep it up mate and good on ya
                            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I can't imagine any minority group would be offended at the site of a load of military vehicles or people collecting money.

I am personally anti-war (in all cases) but see no issue with collecting money to help people (and the families of people) who have been murdered and maimed by the Government.

Comment

Working...
                              X