Is this a stupid question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a stupid question??

But can you not just use wheels spacers to fit 33's to trucks with minimal lift??

No spacers make it worse!! It catches more on full lock beacuse they stick out further.

Comment

I knew it was stupid! Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by bboy02 View Post
        But can you not just use wheels spacers to fit 33's to trucks with minimal lift??
        Like he said, thats going to be my problem, since i reversed my rims my 31's just catch a mudflap bolt with the missis in there too, so going up to 33's is going to take a bit of doing if i still want minimal lift so i can still get it in my garage, i can see a bit of good old fashoned northern eccy-thump'll be req
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
          Like he said, thats going to be my problem, since i reversed my rims my 31's just catch a mudflap bolt with the missis in there too, so going up to 33's is going to take a bit of doing if i still want minimal lift so i can still get it in my garage, i can see a bit of good old fashoned northern eccy-thump'll be req
          Can't you just leave the missus at home?
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Reversed rims??? What effect does that have? I was thinking of trying to squeeze 32's in with stiffer rear springs and 2" coil spacers and slightly cranked up torsion bars but if you are getting rub with 31's with 2 inch all round lift (thats what you have popeye right??) Perhaps it wont work!!

Comment

Originally posted by bboy02 View Post
              Reversed rims??? What effect does that have?
              It changes the offset. The standard surf offset is (a number that I can't remember, but) quite a long way in. Popeye turned his rims around so that quite a long way in became quite a long way out, hence saving on buying any spacers. I got pick up wheels for mine (which have a much bigger offset) and wheel spacers and they stuck out really quite a lot. Those were 31s with no lift and they rubbed a little, so you could possibly squeeze 32s on.

You might be able to get 33s and pretty much zero cost if you go for a pikey lift (landcruiser rear springs and wind up the torsion bars). Not sure.

Comment

This is wot i mean, ya can only do it with two or three piece split rims, basicly turn the center spider round, it make the rims stick out further and increases the arc of turn, this reduces the clearance between the tyre edge and the arch, i only have a 2" body lift so i'm hope to crank the torsion bars about an inch and possibly fit joint spacers 1",(got to find out about that yet, so prepair yaselves for some questions) wont ba able to tell till i have the tyres on the rims and start fiddleing, backends no problem,
                Attached Files
                Last edited by POPEYE; 4 November 2008, 15:36.

Comment

Would 31" fit under with a 2" lift? isn't 30" standard? does 1" really make that much difference? to the truck i mean
                  Roy
                  When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                    This is wot i mean, ya can only do it with two or three piece split rims, basicly turn the center spider round, it make the rims stick out further and increases the arc of turn, this reduces the clearance between the tyre edge and the arch, i only have a 2" body lift so i'm hope to crank the torsion bars about an inch and possibly fit joint spacers 1",(got to find out about that yet, so prepair yaselves for some questions) wont ba able to tell till i have the tyres on the rims and start fiddleing, backends no problem,
                    Ooooh, now I've got my old wheels back of Joker (same basic design as yours), when I change the tyres I might just do that Ian! How did the sealant hold up and what did you use?
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by roylittle0 View Post
                      Would 31" fit under with a 2" lift? isn't 30" standard? does 1" really make that much difference? to the truck i mean
                      It certainly would "unless" you have reversed rims or a serious offset., they were fine till i changed the rims round

Comment

31's will fit under a standard truck with no lift. They were a factory option.

Comment

Im just not sure that changing my 265/70/15 tyres for 31's is worth it, only 1.4 inches larger I think. Would like to see any photos people have taken before and after changing standard tyres for 31's, is there a noticeable difference?

Comment

I wouldn't bother unless there's a tyre you particularly like that isn't available in metric sizes.

I have 265/75-16 on my offroad wheels and they are between 31 and 31.5 depending on the make.
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

My main reason for asking is i am doing a 2" body lift at the end of the month, i have just fitted uprated springs and i only have two very good tires as new and 6 with between 3 and 2mm of tread, so it is time to start looking for something to fit under once i have the 2" lift, then the 2 good wheels could be my spares.
                              Roy
                              When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Working...
                              X