Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking front hubs.

Hi.
    This is my first post, never been on a forum before either! Never had a 4x4 before. I was on holiday in Namibia a few years ago and i hired a double cab 2.7 (i think) petrol hilux (gen 2?) with a manual gearbox. When i hit the sand dunes i was advised to put it into 4 wheel drive (obviously) and in low range too (obvious), i also had to jump out and manually lock the front wheel hubs via some little levers in the centre of the wheels. Now i bought a 2.3td 2nd gen auto surf last week and the 4x4 bit is obvious and i understand the hi & low bit but no little levers to lock the front wheel hubs? Does it not have them or do they operate when you select 4 wheel drive? New to this 4x4 stuff but i'm loving it. Cheers.
    If the mountain wont come to mohammed..... smash the place up!!

The hubs are autolockers on 2nd gens (unless they have had manuals fitted after) , the drive shafts are always live and are engagued in the front diff. You will tend to find that the 2nd gens get manual locking hubs after being lifted as this will save the CV joints and gaiters,

Hope this helps

OH and welcome to the nuthouse............BEWARE the squirrel
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Hi and welcome Dave.Just as the smelly one has said but do not use 4wd on the road.Only use it on loose/slippery surfaces
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Oh and this faq might help you as well

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
          The hubs are autolockers on 2nd gens (unless they have had manuals fitted after)
          Hubs are neither manual or auto. They have a fixed flanged thus the drive shafts are always engaged. There was an early version of auto hubs but Toyota dumped them because they never worked properly. It's the diff that disengages from the drive shafts. That's why they call it ADD (Auto Disconnecting Differential).

Nev

Comment

So, being a little thick on this subject myself, No comments thank You, what do you need to change on the front axle to fit "manual hubs"? i am in the process of doing a 2" body lift (small steps and she wont notice ) what would i need and how much work is involved??
            Roy
            When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Nothing of any consequence really. Take off the 'bit of the end of the shaft' (dont know the technical term) which is held on by the six nuts on the hub, and replace with your manual hub.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                Nothing of any consequence really. Take off the 'bit of the end of the shaft' (dont know the technical term) which is held on by the six nuts on the hub, and replace with your manual hub.
                I assume we are talking about the differential end of my shaft

Basically remove the hub, remove the 6 bolt thingy, refit new six bolt thingy and refit shaft and hub, in idiots terms of course.

Edit. Thick moment

No.! we are talking about the hub end, to stop the wheels from driving the half shafts
                Last edited by roylittle0; 4 November 2008, 17:27.
                Roy

Comment

No, the wheel end. The six bolt thingy you can see in the middle. That has splines on the back which fit over the end of the shaft. The manual hub bolts on and basically slides a set of splines over the end of the shaft when locked, and slides them back out of the way when unlocked. very very simple idea.

No need for hub removal.

Comment

No, the wheel end. The six bolt thingy you can see in the middle. That has splines on the back which fit over the end of the shaft. The manual hub bolts on and basically slides a set of splines over the end of the shaft when locked, and slides them back out of the way when unlocked. very very simple idea.
                    Yes, sorry had a filter problem between brain and fingers, think first, type later.
                    Roy

Comment

Hello again.
                      Thanks to Stormforce, Bio hazard and Nifty nev, got that sorted out in my head now. Now for the next begginers question. I've been doing the usual checks under the bonnet and found that most of the auxillery drive belts, like air con, power steering pump and the like, are all quite loose as signified by the chirping noises under the bonnet when starting from cold. Had a quick look in my lunch break (i'm a motor bike mechanic but haven't struggled with cars before) and didn't have much luck spotting the tension adjustment. Can any of you kind people point me in the right direction please? Ta FNB.
                      If the mountain wont come to mohammed..... smash the place up!!

Comment

in between the aircon pump and the alternator ( left hand side as you look in) there will be a long adjuster for the fan belts, there is a long adjuster on the power steering pump and the cam belt is tensioned via...err.. a tensioner

if you are getting the "chirps" you may need to change the harmonic balancer...tis quite easy to do.. use the search facilty and find a write up

welcome by the way.......have you met mattf yet...he's ginger and unhappy

(whereas im ginger and a transvestite)
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I was trying to think of the name for the bit on the end but couldn't think of an actual name for it... So i called it a drive plate..

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                            I was trying to think of the name for the bit on the end but couldn't think of an actual name for it... So i called it a drive plate..
                            Sounds as good as anything...

Comment

I've got manual freewheeling hubs on mine - the idea being to save UJ wear and maybe add a little fuel ecconomy. They were an after-market fittment

Comment

Working...
                              X