Hi-lift jack mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-lift jack mount

Yey - comin hopefully Monday - just wondered where you have all put yours?

Was thinkin of across the bonnet.
    How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Originally posted by Bibs View Post
    Yey - comin hopefully Monday - just wondered where you have all put yours?

Was thinkin of across the bonnet.
    I don't thinkthe MOT man or traffic cops would be impressed.
    I've seen them strapped to the tailgate inside or to one side of the load area.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      I don't thinkthe MOT man or traffic cops would be impressed.
      I've seen them strapped to the tailgate inside or to one side of the load area.
      Why not? Is it illegal? I meant up by the wipers

Comment

Originally posted by Bibs View Post
        Why not? Is it illegal? I meant up by the wipers
        I don't know if it's illegal, I'm just thinking that you may get pulled for it 'cos it's obstructing forward vision and liable to fly off in a frontal impact situation.
        Thats how a grumpy cop or MOT bloke would probably see it anyway.

Comment

hi all thought about getting a hi-lift jack but were or how do you use it i mean how do you fit it to the car if you need to jack the car up on a landrover you could use the bumpers but on a surf ?.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            I don't know if it's illegal, I'm just thinking that you may get pulled for it 'cos it's obstructing forward vision and liable to fly off in a frontal impact situation.
            Oh right - I'll have a chat to both (well not grumpy ones) an see where I stand first eh.

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
              hi all thought about getting a hi-lift jack but were or how do you use it i mean how do you fit it to the car if you need to jack the car up on a landrover you could use the bumpers but on a surf ?.
              Get jackable sliders. Towbar worked last time - as for the front well I dunno - I am going to get some made up.

Comment

As Bibs said use the towbar for the rear and maybe get something fabricated to fit the chassis at the front. I'm thinking something bolted across the front using the two tow hook mountings.

Comment

hi-lift jack on e/bay 48/ins £33 with post would that be too cheep?or a good deal

Comment

Slightly off topic but how does it work for the landys with bonnet mounted spares? I was considering fabbing some mounts for mine rather that putting it on the roof (for a second spare) though did wonder about legality of it (and I'm guessing a custom bonnet would be needed or at least some strengthening?). Seat's gonna be raised as I feel too low with the current seat position which might help visability...

Comment

Originally posted by J_D View Post
                      Slightly off topic but how does it work for the landys with bonnet mounted spares? I was considering fabbing some mounts for mine rather that putting it on the roof (for a second spare) though did wonder about legality of it (and I'm guessing a custom bonnet would be needed or at least some strengthening?). Seat's gonna be raised as I feel too low with the current seat position which might help visability...
                      No idea, maybe it depends on the age of the vehicle.

Comment

mot wise the jack,should be fine aslong as its not sharp edges,but id check where u get it mot'd first,wheel will come down to visability,again check with the man who mot's it

Comment

hi-lift jack on e/bay 48/ins £33 with post would that be too cheep?or a good deal
                          Not sure mate - got mine from Paddock spares as they had the best deal at the time.

Will deff check if ok before drillin throught the bonnet.

Comment

Originally posted by J_D View Post
                            Age related thing. Only older land rovers have it. some add it but most just relocate to the rear.

There is almost no way you would be able to do it on a surf.

Stock tyres will take up a massive chunk of the visibility. If your running anything taller/wider then you wont see a damn thing.

Sorry to pi$$ on your chips mate.

Comment

Bibs - PM'd you.

The only two problems that may arise (and it would have to be a really picky arse traffic cop on a bad day) would be obstruction of your view and sharp edges. If you can get a cover of some sorts it should stop any sort of problem with that. I have seen plastic covers made up similar to rifle cases attached to the outside of safari type landrovers.
                              Don't put it on a bumper or on the side of the truck. I was playing with attaching a high lift jack to the bonnet but decided to mount it onto the back of the rear seats down at the bottom of the back of the seats in the load bay. With it sloping down I usually have a gap there anyway as my tool boxes are bungeed in there.
                              I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.
                              Member of the 115,000k club

Comment

Working...
                              X