Sound proofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound proofing

I've been browsing ebay an found a few people that flog sh!t loads of Sound insulation.

Does it actually make a worth while difference with the doors/floor/ sides insulated?!

Or will i just be throwing money away and making myself crazy ripping all the interior out?!

Waste of time rod, you'll be ripping it all out again when you've got a V8 soundtrack.

Comment

if you can hear it, that's proof of sound.

fact.
      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Waste of time rod, you'll be ripping it all out again when you've got a V8 soundtrack.

stop it!!! just stop it !!!!

Comment

I like to hear when something is going wrong with my truck.

just turn the music up dude!
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
            I like to hear when something is going wrong with my truck.

just turn the music up dude!
            I do... an it makes the boot rattle!

Comment

i gotta be honest rod i have been there and done that and tbh its really not worth it,but then i know wot u r like there for u are doing it anyway,if your doing it,to be effective it needs to everywhere

Comment

might eliminate some road/engine noise, but it ain't cheap and in a smurf to get a half decent result you'd need to do the whole floorpan, bulkhead, front doors and rear sides, while your doing that lot you may aswell do the rear doors, and you might well find you get a half decent gain by doing the rear half of the roof too. It'd cost a hell of a lot to do all of that though, probably about the same as a set of road tyres, which will give you a similar improvement.

edit: mates 110 hardtop (similar size vehicle) has bulkhead and front footwells done, rear loadspace floor all done with dynamat / brownbread type stuff, and about 250kg of lead based sound deadening on the wheel boxes and rear sides. You notice it, but even with that much it still ain't great.
                Last edited by nero279; 22 October 2008, 21:12.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                  I do... an it makes the boot rattle!
                  id find the rattle,mine doesnt rattle atall mate and ive got a few speakers as u know

Comment

I would've thought stiffening the areas where you have speakers with mdf or similar would be a worthwhile improvement, and might get rid of some vibration too.

Soundproofing? Well how far do you go? A car is a pretty lousy environment for serious sound quality.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

IMO sound proofing makes a lot of difference. I just finished sound proofing the doors in my truck and it is a lot quieter inside. The doors close with a nice solid thunk [like a Rolls] as opposed to the toyota clank... It is actually warmer also...
                      I used B-quiet Ultimate, cheaper and tested more efficient then Dynamat.
                      Do a web search for more info... terrific easy to work with product and great service from a Canadian company. Lots of useful information on their website as well. I will eventually be doing the whole interior.

Very easy to do yourself and well worth the effort as I've said. Once you do it you'll wonder how you got by without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                        I would've thought stiffening the areas where you have speakers with mdf or similar would be a worthwhile improvement, and might get rid of some vibration too.

Soundproofing? Well how far do you go? A car is a pretty lousy environment for serious sound quality.
                        u would be suprised how good u can make it,but last time i did it,was with a jinmy,bout 7 years ago and i did it everywhere and the dynamat alone was over 400 quid

Comment

I'm sure you can make it pretty good, but its never gonna compare with proper home audio. In Car stuff for me has always been there to make a pleasant noise at best, rather than get anywhere near what I have in the house.
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                            might eliminate some road/engine noise, but it ain't cheap and in a smurf to get a half decent result you'd need to do the whole floorpan, bulkhead, front doors and rear sides, while your doing that lot you may aswell do the rear doors, and you might well find you get a half decent gain by doing the rear half of the roof too. It'd cost a hell of a lot to do all of that though, probably about the same as a set of road tyres, which will give you a similar improvement.

edit: mates 110 hardtop (similar size vehicle) has bulkhead and front footwells done, rear loadspace floor all done with dynamat / brownbread type stuff, and about 250kg of lead based sound deadening on the wheel boxes and rear sides. You notice it, but even with that much it still ain't great.
                            holy sh1t! Didn't realise it was needed in that kind of amount!!
                            Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                            id find the rattle,mine doesnt rattle atall mate and ive got a few speakers as u know
                            I'd best crawl into me boot!
                            Originally posted by Apache View Post

I might just look into stiffening the speaker areas up like you say mate. I had no idea it needed to be so packed with the stuff to notice any kind of difference.

I've got two rolls of dynomat here that i got for the speakers that i haven't installed yet.. Might crack on with that now.

Comment

Originally posted by aviator View Post
                              I just finished sound proofing the doors in my truck and it is a lot quieter inside. The doors close with a nice solid thunk [like a Rolls] as opposed to the toyota clank...

If you'd reccommend it i'll do the doors up an just sort out the speaker areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X