new mig welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new mig welder

I have just bought a new 25-130 amps power craft no gas mig welder.it cost £80 from Aldi so i thought i would get it to teach myself to weld.
    Do any of you welding guys rate these gasless mig welders at all
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Probably a bit more tricky to use than gas migs, my mate just got one for body repairs and ask me to set it up for him, what I found was that it would weld and join the sheet ok but it looked a bit like a "Gorilla Weld" ugly but strong. The spools of wire are more expensive as well, but I think if you are just joining thin sheet ect and put in a bit of time and practice ie varios wire feeds and current settings untill you get a setting you are happy with you will get on ok.

I personally would prefere gas sheiled, I think Ian was selling a gas Mig for not much cash, but you didnt pay that much for yours so try it out and practice. Any probs or tips there is always someone to help you on the forum.

Comment

Just make sure you keep your gloves on, sleeves down and the goggles/mask tight - last thing you want is arc-eye and sun-burn!!
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

we will have to be calling you surf-force or stormy-surfs soon m8

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
          I have just bought a new 25-130 amps power craft no gas mig welder.it cost £80 from Aldi so i thought i would get it to teach myself to weld.
          Do any of you welding guys rate these gasless mig welders at all
          i had a no gas mig for many years and it got me out of trouble many atime the only thing i didnt like was the live tip because when you were trying to set up your piece of work and accidently touch metal sparks would fly but other wise i cannot fault it the only reason i got rid of it was because it had worn out and the cost of spares worked out dearer than buying another mig and dont forget your eye sheild as arc eye kills when you get it.
          cheers shaun
          NO LONGER A SURFER NOW DRIVING A LEXUS

Comment

once i have practiced a bit then i got some sliders from Clayton that need to be mopdified slightly to fit the truck and then i will need to make some different type of steps for when the truck is lifted

Comment

I had a mig that was gas or gasless, I tried the gasless once when the gas ran out & I couldn't get on with it, I've not used gasless since.

When my old welder was getting a bit battered I purchased a SIP topmig 140 turbo & that has been a great welder, it's much bigger than my old cheapy & although a lot of people don't like them mine has been great.
              I'm not a complete idiot.......

My kneecap was removed in 1981

Comment

hey rich are you sure you didnt buy it just to weld all the studs and bolts you break, back together.personaly i hated gasless welding.i found the fluxed wire melted at a much higher temperature than normal wire,and the arc from it was a hell of a lot brighter,and the weld never really run and got proper penetration.but that may be to me not setting it up properly.good luck with it mate,
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

i gotta do something Mark cause all these bolts i keep breaking end up costing a fortune

Comment

I get on with mine OK, but it does spit a lot so requires a bit more cleaning up afterwards with a flap disc. Buy the gas less wire in bulk off ebay, much cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                    X