Biiig Flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biiig Flood

On the way home from River Deep, we came across a 'road closed' due to floods, but the diversion was blocked solid with 'ordinary cars' so we thought we'd take a look and turn round if the going got too scary. We actually followed a Landy with an empty livestock trailer through! When he got out of the other side, he opened his doors to let the torrent out

Water lapping over the front of the bonnet for probably 200 yards and bow wave higher than that at times! Pretty scary stuff, but the door seals were solid and no water in the truck.

The floating Rover! Somehow, the back of this car was afloat and washed into the hedge as we went past!

We're goin in! The water rose roughly to the red reflectors on the back of his trailer.

He's coming out!

Phew! We made it! The flood extends as far as you can see, and round the corner for another 3 or 4 hundred yards at the end. That bit was flowing really hard across the road, but thankfully only a foot or so deep. Much deeper and we would have been pushed sideways a bit.

I am guessing the poles on the sign are about 3ft high...

Oops! "FLOOD lights" Water can only get into these lights through the bulb holder. Pah, we were MUCH deeper than that!
    Last edited by Apache; 5 October 2008, 20:42.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

me and bob didnt find that one.....ours was no where near as deep...................but a ford ranger behind us bottled it.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Read it again Gra. I added pic of my spotlights!

Comment

oh my goodness !!!!!!!!!!

bl00dy hell mate,thats one hell of a flood.

mind me and plumb bob were chatting on the cb (for 6 hours !!) on the way home and we reckon there was about 30 straight hours of pretty much torrential rain..any more and west wales would be in huge trouble
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Beats the ones I ended up going through after putting caravan owner back course.

Comment

ya gotta love lifted surfs with snorkels!!!!!
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

It is scarier now than it was at the time. I'm kind of surprised the door seals are so good given the fact that they're 14 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                It is scarier now than it was at the time. I'm kind of surprised the door seals are so good given the fact that they're 14 years old.
                a wee can of silicone spray keeps em tip top.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

hehe that is one hell of a flood....

I have to say my way home at night was not great either.... bad rain and some little floods that seemed bad at night but after seeing ur pic's they where only baby ones.....
                  One day at the time I guess..

Comment

After we went back over Happy Valley (coz we are hard and you Northerners are not) the bridge into Machynlleth was closed.

I think the local council guys were waiting for it to be washed away!

Some flooded roads but nothing serious.

APACHE - I know that road - you would have seen an endless lake left and right - its normally full of cows and sheep - hope they can swim..........
                    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                      After we went back over Happy Valley (coz we are hard and you Northerners are not) the bridge into Machynlleth was closed.

I think the local council guys were waiting for it to be washed away!

Some flooded roads but nothing serious.

APACHE - I know that road - you would have seen an endless lake left and right - its normally full of cows and sheep - hope they can swim..........
                      Then again Andy u have got a mighty LC so nothing is to serious....

Comment

Originally posted by TobyJug View Post
                        Then again Andy u have got a mighty LC so nothing is to serious....
                        Did I tell you I drive a Land Cruiser? lol

Only problem was the truck being so wide (ok, fat) the cleft rocks on Happy Valley have left their mark - a few small gouges out of the wheel arch extensions.
                        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Jeez that's deep water, we only found large puddles across the road.
                          I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                            Did I tell you I drive a Land Cruiser? lol

Only problem was the truck being so wide (ok, fat) the cleft rocks on Happy Valley have left their mark - a few small gouges out of the wheel arch extensions.
                            Fat? bit like me then...
                            nothing wrong with a few marks here and there.... looks used then...

I will have to do the Happy Valley some day soon.... see what all the fuss is about...

Comment

The return trip in the opposite direction made that section seem allot steeper than going the other direction must have been because the drop was on the drivers side!!

but Thanks Andy for arranging another great trip!

Comment

Working...
                              X