Rust in panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust in panels

Just chewing this one over, so after some advice. Internal panels, doors and such, where there may be surface rust on the internal faces and/or seams, is it best to pop a weak solution of something like phosphoric in there first, let it dry and pop some oil/Waxoyl or similar in to cover it, (would the solution need rinsing out first?), or just pop oil/Waxoyl in there as is?

i'd always kill the rust first

Comment

just don't buy a rusty vehicle.

dumbass.
      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
        i'd always kill the rust first
        Any suggestions for internal sections? Been reading up on the whole shebang of products, from straight phosphoric upwards, and it seems that it's generally recommended to apply then wash excess off with most of them. Is it liable to cause any problems doing that before coating? Or, would I be okay spraying whichever stuff I end up using in and then just hosing down?

Comment

Originally posted by logey79 View Post
          just don't buy a rusty vehicle.

dumbass.
          Ah, the butcher appears at last. Barsteward.

Comment

why??? me??? what???

are you referring to my DIY skills there then? don't recall doing too much harm.

Comment

why??? me??? what???

are you referring to my DIY skills there then? don't recall doing too much harm.
              Your speaker fitting abilities.

How are things keeping by the way mate? Everything settled down a bit I hope?

Comment

don't recall doing anything with speakers??? i think the rear passenger one either never worked or didn't exist...am i right? i get the 2 1st gens and their 'individualisms' confused.

apart from being out of work at the moment and the debt still piling i'm ok. well as ok as something like me can be i guess!

how's the old 1st gen coming along then? MOT'd? smoking habit sorted?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                  Any suggestions for internal sections? Been reading up on the whole shebang of products, from straight phosphoric upwards, and it seems that it's generally recommended to apply then wash excess off with most of them. Is it liable to cause any problems doing that before coating? Or, would I be okay spraying whichever stuff I end up using in and then just hosing down?
                  ive always used q-rust and painted straight over it

Comment

don't recall doing anything with speakers??? i think the rear passenger one either never worked or didn't exist...am i right? i get the 2 1st gens and their 'individualisms' confused.
                    Can't remember offhand. I've just stripped everything out of the rear to start from scratch with it. I'll let you off on that one.

apart from being out of work at the moment and the debt still piling i'm ok. well as ok as something like me can be i guess!
                    At least you still sound chipper. Could be worse, I suppose.

how's the old 1st gen coming along then? MOT'd? smoking habit sorted?
                    Not done much as of yet. Stripped all of the rear panelling and such out so that I can get a better idea of where any rot may be and such. Tidied that panel work where the speakers had been fitted in preparation for fitting some bridging struts, and removed the rear bumper. Wanting to try and get the bodywork and chassis cleaned up and protected before starting on the engine side of things.

Comment

sounds like you're in for the long haul with it then!!! great stuff. i'm glad it's going to a good home...

...even if it is to a northern ginger!

Comment

sounds like you're in for the long haul with it then!!! great stuff. i'm glad it's going to a good home...

...even if it is to a northern ginger!
                        Aye, I've a feeling it may end up being another labour of love. So much so that I'm trying to get some materials together to build a storage shed for the Gypsy to keep her protected from the elements whilst I'm working on the 1st gen. I think it may be a while before I get back round to her.

Comment

you don't need a shed...gypsies are quite happy in the middle of a field.

Comment

Working...
                          X