X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadcapMagician View Post
    Almost. You need a couple of extra steps at the beginning:

1. Suck teeth.
    2. Say "tsk, tsk, tsk" at least 3 or 4 times.
    3. Ask who did the original job.
    4. Call your mate and tell him about the horrendous job you've got to repair.
    5. Put kettle on.
    6. Get tools from van.
    7. Have cup of tea.
    8. Realise that you don't, after all, have a shenanigan rod on you.
    9. "Nip" back home to get proper tools.
    10. Call homeowner and advise that you'll return tomorrow.
    Have i been to your house before then
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I use to work on sites putting all the different types of pastic pipe when it first came out. Now i psend my time ripping as much off it out as I can find and putting in good old fashioned copper.
      Oh plastic has its uses ,but i only use it as a tempary solution these days.

The main reason for this is ,if a joint blows its full bore and u get ###### wet.
      Secondly even if you do put it together right all you have holding the joints in place are a rubber o ring and a steel gripper ring.

Tell me if im wrong though , but rubber and water and steel and water do not mix!! and eventually if will perish or rust through.

This is happening a lot in the states these days because they had plastic pipe a few yers before we did. They are also ripping out as fast as they can.

ok rant over!!!

Mike
      I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Well, I got my bit of push fit flexi hose, took the bath panel off, had a bit of a feel (of the pipes...) and found it's actually the compression fitting on the tap. Some dick probably didn't do it up properly. Turns out I haven't got a big enough spanner to sort it out. Back to the shop tomorrow.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike66 View Post
          Secondly even if you do put it together right all you have holding the joints in place are a rubber o ring and a steel gripper ring.
          I know it sounds bad but they are very solid joints provided they are put together correctly.

I agree that coppers best. But I dont think plastic pipes should be looked at as a 'bodge' .

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
            I know it sounds bad but they are very solid joints provided they are put together correctly.
            I agree that coppers best. But I dont think plastic pipes should be looked at as a 'bodge' .
            agreed not a bodge, just cheaper faster and uglier. Get in push it all together and get out. I have seen far to many plastic push fits fail by not being fitted/pushed home correctly.
            My sister had one fail in her new house, 4 weeks after moving in the mains cold water feed push fittng came undone in the ceiling. Large portion of ceiling down, several inches of water downstairs, skirting ruined and about a foot of plaster above all the downstairs carpets. Oh and the river running out the front door down the road. Plastic is good its the bodgers who put it all together that give it a bad name.
            For me its copper and nice chrome to the towel rad in the bathroom/toliet
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
              agreed not a bodge, just cheaper faster and uglier. Get in push it all together and get out. I have seen far to many plastic push fits fail by not being fitted/pushed home correctly.
              My sister had one fail in her new house, 4 weeks after moving in the mains cold water feed push fittng came undone in the ceiling. Large portion of ceiling down, several inches of water downstairs, skirting ruined and about a foot of plaster above all the downstairs carpets. Oh and the river running out the front door down the road. Plastic is good its the bodgers who put it all together that give it a bad name.
              The worse thing is, Schools nowadays send students that cant be ars*d to learn anything off on these "trial" things at college.

Plumbing, brick laying etc.

Now only a tiny few choose plumbing because of the big money they think they can make out of it.

Problem is, these people are just a$$holes. In an out! Make a quick buck.. "aint my problem" attitude.

Ive worked with some people on sites that you'd HATE to have working on your own house. An others that from the sounds of them you would hate but they are crazy hard workers!

An there is no subsitute for a nice bit of chrome copper pipe. If its gotta be shown then at least have it looking pretty.

Biggest craze nowadays is to fit the glass bowl type basins on the wooden stands. They look nice but as most are fitted into a bathroom/cloakroom etc after its all normally been done then theres always going to be the plastic waste on show which aint pretty either!

Bit of an art the ole plumbing game!

Comment

Sancho! thought it may have been the connector, it's useually that, ment to say have you checked it but assumed you'd had the side off, so 15mm to 3/4" tap braded flexy it is then, you'll need a tap claw to get at it unless your lucky enough to have room to get a wrench up there, if the flexy has a loose fibre washer i'd wrap it with ptfe, if it's the fitted rubber washer type! no need and if the other end (pipe) is compression dont forget to stick a bit of boss white (or gloss paint) on it before you do it up, Oh and you can get a flexy with an isolator (ballofix) valve built in, saves running up and down the stairs,
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  assumed you'd had the side off,
                  I did, but the bit up by the tap felt pretty dry whilst the 90 degree joint was soaking. That would be the water running down and gathering in one place then.....

Comment

god i hate plumbing lol,electrical work so much more fun

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                      That would be the water running down and gathering in one place then.....
                      Really?

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post

True its not a bodge !but what people who put this stuff in dont understand is that it expands 10% when hot .This is the reason that a lot of joints seem to pop. With the continual exspansion and contraction it works loose.
                        Ok im officially sad!!! Ill shut up now.

Mike
                        I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                          We've got pipe snaps on our radiator in the Bathroom!

Looks pretty smart.

I'd still prefer copper. I did a pressure test for one bloke in a new build an all i heard was "Theres water pi$$in out up from the floor!!!" took the pressure off, pulled the boards an found a straight coupling on plastic pipe that wasn't right home!!

Couldn't moan at the fella! I did the exact same thing once!!

My bl**dy brother in law... decieded to take a rad off the wall to decorate!

Sticks a wrench over the tail going into the rad an starts turning! Didn't grip the valve itself. Kinked the pipe all to sh!t!

The whole idea of a pressure test is to do it dry so you don't get water every where
                          www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Well, it looks like it's fixed. Came home and undid the nut on the connector. Inside was.....a fibre washer that had kind of de-bonded into layers. Wrapped it up in PTFE, chucked a bit more on the thread for good measure and tightened it all back up. No leak.

Thanks again for your input guys. Not a big job at all, but it gives me confidence to know there's pretty much a 24 hour helpline here....

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                              Well, it looks like it's fixed. Came home and undid the nut on the connector. Inside was.....a fibre washer that had kind of de-bonded into layers. Wrapped it up in PTFE, chucked a bit more on the thread for good measure and tightened it all back up. No leak.

Thanks again for your input guys. Not a big job at all, but it gives me confidence to know there's pretty much a 24 hour helpline here....
                              your very welcome.

what was the question ??

your old v6 has been killed by a big pink mechanic

did you have a nice holiday

evening btw
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                                your very welcome.

what was the question ??

your old v6 has been killed by a big pink mechanic

did you have a nice holiday

evening btw
                                1. There is a leak under my bath. How do I fix it?

2. I know. I am upset but, technically, he does own it so I suppose he can do what he likes.

3. Yes, very nice. It is lovely there. All green and mountainous. I wouldn't want to live there though, totally overrun with tramps and christians.

4. Good evening

Comment

Working...
                                X