Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bumper warning

Hi all
    If you think your bumpers are in good order....think again!
    I had the usual rear quarter rust issue and also corner rust break through on the front so I decided to posh the truck up a bit, so quarters from roughtrax, front bumper from chillitt and away I went.
    As the chillit bumper had a little surface rust on the inside ( that charlie had rust killed - thanks) I thought I would strip the bumper of its lights and lower valence to ensure all was well, you guys need to know
    1. all bumper bolts snap very easilly even after treatment with loosenit
    2. between the bumper and valence is a rust trap (charlies bumper looked perfect but in there was chrome peeling and rust - fortunately out of sight so now treated and not visible.
    3. the clips that hold the fixing bolts can rotate and cut through the valence.
    4. if you are fitting a normal bumper to a wide body the end cap bolts are a **** to get off as the head rotates and you cant get to it. Grind the nuts off, dont let them too hot as the head of the bolt is in a plastic fitting!
    A normal M6 x 16mm gutter bolt will push into the fitting when replacing. marking out the holes to fix on end caps is not easy either, I drilled 1 mm oversize and just got away with it. I would sugest puting a plastic bag tight over the end of the old bumper mark the edge and the holes and use as a template for the new, measuring off curves...not easy!
    5. be prepared to have to drill out broken studs/bolts from captive nuts and re tap the threads.
    6. have a good supply of M6&8 bolts, washers, penny washers and locking washers and copperslip everything.
    7. I used stonechip spray on all the hidden parts and will ensure tht loads of waxoil goes in there as well
    8. if you are doing the rear, after struggling to remove and refit complete (BIG Time) I would recomend popping off the step cover and unbolting the end caps first, then remove the centre bumper complete with brackets, clean it out and treat it if not replacing but be prepared to replace it,
    I ended up dirty and pi$$ed off doing the rear yesterday and it all has to come off again as I have to replace the centre section, but looking on the bright side, I now know how to do it, most of the fixings are new and easy to get out so hopefully it will be better for me and for you.
    I was amaised at the ammount of cr@p and corrosion so if you think your bumpers are in good nick my advise would be take 'em off and check before you end up with the rust comming through and its too late
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

thats cheared me up lol

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
      thats cheared me up lol
      with the ammount of bling on yours...the last thing you want is rust through, I had rust off both front and rear in chunks 5-6mmthick!
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

Mine was the same, had to cut (grind) some of the bolts to get it off and after banging off layers of rust the corner bits are wafer thin, center section was ok just the ends cr@p, good reason to dump it and make up a nice strong fabbed bumper or tube one
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Mine are fine, it's just the tin foil chrome bumpers that rust.

Comment

When i removed the stock bumper i tried to sell it on ebay... no luck!

i got a message from a bloke asking about the end caps... So i sold them seperatly!

I agree.... total Sh1t to get off!!

Comment

See what you mean - jeeeyze - will get the mud off the inside an check it fully for you mate.
              How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Working...
              X