my red surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my red surf

i fitted the new thermostat to it saturday, and drove it up to the garage to start the repairs.
    i left it running for well over an hour from first start, to drive up there, and then left it ticking over for absolutely ages, i mean like 30 odd minutes, and the needle stuck on halfway, and the electric backup fan didnt come on either.
    i had the aircon on cold for a bit too as it was a little warm saturday, and the truck has no problems at all.

i think its so good, how the truck has been sat there for almost 4 months, and i got in and started her up 1st time with no hesitation. i think the dual batteries help there though.

feels so good to sit back in those recaros. im looking forward to driving her again.

i'll be making some off road vids with a little setup i have in mind (dash mounted cam)
    and i plan to either drive round scotlands highlands, or drive over to norway... or least, drive down to the alps again in her - but this time when there is snow!

i will just need to get valve clearances checked and redone because i can hear a very slight tappet noise, and also i think there is a belt a little too tight - making a whirring noise if you rev it.

ill keep you posted
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

What type engine oil are you using? Semi-synthetic will make the engine sound 'tappety' until warmed up.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      What type engine oil are you using? Semi-synthetic will make the engine sound 'tappety' until warmed up.
      cant remember tbh.. i had been using that magnetic type that costs £30 per can (and you need 2 cans!) since i bought the car, and changing every 5000km like advised, but i read that was stupid, so i started buying some other type that was also 15-40 but only costs £15 per can...

i think it may be semi synthetic though, really cant remember. its been so long since ive even driven her..

what should it be? fully synthetic? and its for the 2.4td.. not sure if the 3.0td needs different oil?
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

You can use semi-synth. no problem but the oil pressure gauge will read lower and the engine will sound slightly noisier.

Comment

You can use semi-synth. no problem but the oil pressure gauge will read lower and the engine will sound slightly noisier.
          thanks for the advice.
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Magnetic??

You mean 'Magnatec'? The one with the 'intelligent' (bullshit) molecules?

That's semi-synth I think. I use Chevron '25 litres for £20' special, and change it every 3000 miles. That way, the oil never really has to last that long (Magnatec's selling point).
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

You mean 'Magnatec'? The one with the 'intelligent' (bullshit) molecules?
              thats the one! :p
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

That has just explained soooo much!!

When i did my last oil/filter change i used some shiz outta my uncles drum, oil pressure was slightly lower an the engine sounds like theres a hammer tw*tting it when its cold!

i guess it was semi synth!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                  That has just explained soooo much!!

When i did my last oil/filter change i used some shiz outta my uncles drum, oil pressure was slightly lower an the engine sounds like theres a hammer tw*tting it when its cold!

i guess it was semi synth!
                  omg you used whiskey?!
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                    omg you used whiskey?!

That would be interesting!!

Comment

Working...
                    X