Sat-nav accuracy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sat-nav accuracy.

Hello there, how accurate are sat-navs at measureing vehicle speed?
    Does it vary between manufacturers, or is the signal received by them the same for all and is spot on?

Should all be the same, though display latency differs from one to the next. If you can drive in a straight line for 30 seconds or so, its should be as accurate as you'll get. The accuracy goes if you are driving through bends.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I have a garmin geko 201 gps & nokia 6110 with gps.

I have compared them and they vary by a couple of mph in a straight line, not that one in particular reads higher they just jump a bit.

You do need a longish straight though, would say 1/2 mile to be sure your speed reading is accurate
      My other cars a QUAD
      (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
      http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

SV, its because the two have different sample rates / update speeds, but the receiver itself will be processing the speed accurately. Its just generally, for car navigation, speed doesn't need to be updated that often.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Should all be the same, though display latency differs from one to the next. If you can drive in a straight line for 30 seconds or so, its should be as accurate as you'll get. The accuracy goes if you are driving through bends.

Thats what I thought, driving along the M4 this morning, kept the speedo needle spot on 70mph for well over three minutes, but the sat-nav said 65mph.
          Tried again at 60, sat-nav said 56.
          This was in the Corolla on 17" alloys. Talking to the fella I was meeting, he said his speedo had the same inaccuracy (Standard '04 Toyota Yaris)

Comment

id trust my sat nav goin thru a speed camera more than speedo on car

Comment

with my speedo reading 70 and the sat nav will read 73 so i keep about 3-4 mph below what the speedo says now so i know i'm doing the speed limit
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Thats what I thought, driving along the M4 this morning, kept the speedo needle spot on 70mph for well over three minutes, but the sat-nav said 65mph.
                Tried again at 60, sat-nav said 56.
                This was in the Corolla on 17" alloys. Talking to the fella I was meeting, he said his speedo had the same inaccuracy (Standard '04 Toyota Yaris)
                Trust your sat-nav. Speedos usually over-read, except when you put very big wheels on, then you risk under reading speedos.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                  with my speedo reading 70 and the sat nav will read 73 so i keep about 3-4 mph below what the speedo says now so i know i'm doing the speed limit

So your speedo is under-reading. I thought Surfs were more accurate on 33"s.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    So your speedo is under-reading. I thought Surfs were more accurate on 33"s.
                    oh no sir..oh no.
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

well there are 1099 satalites in orbit
                      so i think its safe to say that sat nav's dont all get a reading from the same place
                      i read once that the data dose not slow down but
                      when a satalite is beaming at a 22 degree angal or 44 cant remeber rightly
                      its at its full travel distance and at that piont the glare from the earth means the data gets rebouned horizontaly to a mast in stead of going directly there

that afecks a sat nav must do
                      it afects everything else thats gps

depends on what satalite its comeing from
                      the only way around that would be if they bounce it from 1 satalite to another to keep you in maximum range

or so i read
                      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Mine was just about dead on on the 33 Mudzillas (though they were actually around 32") and slightly under-reads on the BFG ATs which do actually measure 33.

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                          well there are 1099 satalites in orbit
                          so i think its safe to say that sat nav's dont all get a reading from the same place
                          i read once that the data dose not slow down but
                          when a satalite is beaming at a 22 degree angal or 44 cant remeber rightly
                          its at its full travel distance and at that piont the glare from the earth means the data gets rebouned horizontaly to a mast in stead of going directly there

that afecks a sat nav must do
                          it afects everything else thats gps

depends on what satalite its comeing from
                          the only way around that would be if they bounce it from 1 satalite to another to keep you in maximum range

or so i read
                          Satnav doesn't work like that. The satellites have an ID and the receiver (your satnav) receives the data from several of them (often 8 or more) and uses their reported position to triangulate its own position.

You're never out of range, and signals from them dont 'skip' as such (not like lower frequencies transmitted within the earths atmosphere). You can have difficulty receiving signals under tree canopies, when your cars windscreen has a heater in it etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                            Satnav doesn't work like that. The satellites have an ID and the receiver (your satnav) receives the data from several of them (often 8 or more) and uses their reported position to triangulate its own position.

You're never out of range, and signals from them dont 'skip' as such (not like lower frequencies transmitted within the earths atmosphere). You can have difficulty receiving signals under tree canopies, when your cars windscreen has a heater in it etc.

iant that what i said?
                            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

my 33's actually measure at 31.5" so that may be why the reading is out a bit more than it should be
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X