How to fix your rear window switch:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix your rear window switch:

I decided today to have a play with my window switch, since I knew that the window operated correctly (by the key, and since I had taken it apart to replace it just the other month).

1) The first step was to remove the switch from the console. I found that the best method is to use something very thin and sharp. like a small screwdriver or a knife. be careful and do not use something that will snap. I strongly advise using gloves in case you slip with the knife.

I used a flat head screwdriver and left some small scratch marks, but they are hardly visible - I would say that this is the better option.

2) I tested that the switch was at fault by using the same flat screw driver to connect the red wire to the wire immediately next to it. you will see that there is two red wires, and next to each one there is a blue wire, and a stripy green wire.

connecting the red to the blue will make the tailgate window descend.

connecting the red wire to the green stripy wire immediately next to it will make the tailgate window ascend (go up).

3) Since it is now evident that the windows electrics are fine from the switch to the window itself, the next step is to completely remove the switch, and go indoors where a cup of tea is waiting

to remove the switch completely, you will need to keep pulling the wires until a multi plug is seen. there is a catch on the side of the multi plug that will let you un-clip the switch from the wiring. once you have done this, don't let go of the multi plug until you have wedged it on the side of the hole it came out from. this will stop it from falling down into a place where you may not get it back so easily! a bit like 'down the back of the sofa'.

4) The next part is a bit tricky. you need to separate the switch from the housing. if you look carefully you can see 4 clips that hold this together. you will also need to remove the illuminating bulb as seen in the picture

You may need to break off part of the housing in order to free up the switch body, this doesn't matter too much as long as you leave enough in tact for it to clip back together and be secure. I managed to break off one side but leave the other completely in tact - this is sufficient enough for it to remain secure once back in the car.

5) When you have separated the pieces you will see the following:

From this picture you can see the two main pieces separated, as well as the metal rocker that is the main moving piece when the up / down button is pressed.

there is another piece that is not shown in the picture. this is a spring, and a white plastic cap that returns the button to the centre position after each press.

From the above photo you can see the gunk around the metal rocker. this is preventing a good contact and is what is stopping the window operating by the switch.

If you look into the piece that has the wires attached, you will see the contacts. you will need to scratch these clean to remove the gunk. I used a knife and I scratched enough so that it was semi shiny.

To clean the metal rocker I got some soapy water and scrubbed it. this removed a lot of the gunk.

6) Reassembly:

Put all pieces back together, this order works best:

a) put the rocker back into the piece that has wires attached. this goes in so that the rectangular piece of the rocker sits in first.

b) put the spring into the switch itself, with the cap on the other end (spring in first)

c) keep both parts at such an angle so that both pieces do not fall out, and clip together. notice that there is a notch on one side that corresponds to a gap on the other piece for it to fit into. once the pieces had almost seated properly, I had to put quite some pressure for the pieces to clip into place.

that's it. you should now have a fully working switch. re-install back into the car and you're done.

Oh Nana, what's my name?

vote for sticky material!
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Good write up mate, in the pic I can see a wee roll pin, would taking this out help separate the parts of the switch?
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
        Good write up mate, in the pic I can see a wee roll pin, would taking this out help separate the parts of the switch?
        no, because when it seperates that bit stays together in tact, and comes away with the whole body.
        but i admit, when i was looking at it and it wouldnt come apart, i thought that may be why, but it wasnt.

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
        Good write up mate,
        Cheers
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Cheers when the room stops spinning i will take mine out and have a look
          it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Hi ARe you able to repost this with th pictures, Im unable to see the pictures? My switch will raise the window but wont lower it. Im hoping its just the contacts

Thank you
            Mark.

Comment

Working...
            X