HELP! Tyre size problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Tyre size problem!

Hi, can anyone advise me on this? Just got a new set of BFG A/Ts fitted to my 3rd Gen Surf, same size as the old ones - 265/75/16. BUT now the front tyres are hitting the plastic wheel arches at the front when I turn! Have the new tyres been fitted wrong? What can I do to fix it (other than cut off a bit of the wheel arches!)

Any advice gratefully received - don't want to wreck my expensive new tyres!

Mark

were the old ones really worn? you could jack the torsion bars a turn bit, just to clear the wheels, but sounds like you need a body lift - good excuse to do one!
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster View Post
      were the old ones really worn? you could jack the torsion bars a turn bit, just to clear the wheels, but sounds like you need a body lift - good excuse to do one!

Gen 3's don't have torsion bar suspension so not a viable option.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
        Gen 3's don't have torsion bar suspension so not a viable option.
        you know, I posted that, then saw it was a 3 and thought - I bet they don't have TBs.....

still, good excuse for a lift though.!
        If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

The lift sounds like a fine idea, but my concern is there's an underlying problem - the old tyres were fairly worn but the new ones are hitting the wheel arch on the side of the tyre, so something's changed. The new tyres are BFG "Radial Long Trail" T/A whereas the old ones were "All Terrain" T/A - I'd have thought this was only the tread pattern, but is there a size difference?

Comment

265/70R16 is the original tyre size for a 3rd gen, not 265/75.
            That said, many people fit 75 profile tyres for a bit of extra ground clearance (they're taller), plus they're an easier size to get hold of.
            However - its a gamble on whether you'll have clearance problems. Some people don't, some people do.
            Solutions are:
            1. trim the wheel arch plastic and hammer the pinch weld flat (there might be better descriptions on yotatech etc).
            2. suspension lift
            3. body lift.
            4. buy smaller tyres (!).

Hope that helps.
            Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob, and other folk. I'll start with your option 1, then look at heading skywards at a later date!

Mark

Comment

Just a point but if you are keeping the 75's on, check your speedo cos you may be going faster than you think, 30mph on the clock could actually be 35mph in road speed cos of the taller profle
                If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                  Just a point but if you are keeping the 75's on, check your speedo cos you may be going faster than you think, 30mph on the clock could actually be 35mph in road speed cos of the taller profle
                  It's closer to about 1-2mph. There isn't a huge amount of difference. Still a good point with speed cameras everywhere!!!

Right, a 265/75/16 is the same width as a 265/70/16! Only difference is the height but about 0.5" around the tyre (side by side one would be an inch taller...roughly)

So it shoudn't cause massive concern.

I take it the wheels are the same ones that had the previous tyres on?!

An any BFG AT or road terrain wouldn't have enough tread on to wear away an still leave a legal tyre an leave an overall diameter that wouldn't rub.

Comment

Another option, depending on how bad the rubbing is an exactly where it is, Is to give the bump stops a few turns to push them out...

Im clutching straws here!

Comment

Even with standard 70 profile tyres, with standard or slightly sagging suspension, and std wheels, there's very little clearance between the back edge of the wheel arch and the edge of the tyre on a 3rd gen. Also the rubbing would usually only happen mid-turn rather than on full lock. The other thing to remember is that there can be a surprising amount of difference in dimensions between two different makes or models of tyre even if they're claimed to be the same size. And one other thing - after a few weeks the sidewalls will soften up a little - might be enough for the rubbing to subside.

Comment

Both my front bumper extensions on my 3rd gen rub with BFG tyres on . I will adjust the front bumper sometime to clear this problem . That or wait until the extensions have worn out .
                        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
                        X