• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for

I am looking at buying a 93 L plate Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0 SSR X

97k Km on the clock, looks in excellent condition and is valued at £2k

There is no stereo, but apart from that all the electrics seem to work

What do I need to look for and is the price too good to be true?

Dont want to make a mistake on my first Hilux Surf

I look forward to your responses.

Anyone with any tips on key things tolook for ?

Comment

Not so much of a bargain to be honest at the moment, values are dropping like flies. Still a good price though.

Check that 4WD works by pressing the button on the side of the short lever, green light on dash should come on and you should here a faint clunk as the front driveshafts are engaged, and again by shifting the short lever forwards into low 4WD, again green light should come on, on the dash.

(Make sure gear lever is in 'N' or 'P' when shifting the short transfer lever)

Only try this on loose surfaces such as a gravelly drive or carpark though..

Make sure the toolkit is in one of the cubby holes in the cargo area and that the jack and long handle is under the rear seat base.

A little smoke out of the exhaust is normal, but walk away if it's white or blue when revved.

Make sure the rear window goes up and down with the switch inside the cab and via the keyswitch in the tailgate.

oh, and welcome on board, enjoy your stay.

Comment

dont worry bout a clunk on full lock,thats normal on surfs,it's the bump stop,make sure no oil in water etc,find a hill and "gun" t make sure it doesnt overheat,and try the 4wd,but not on road,has to be loose ground,make sure it works

Comment

Originally posted by Singlek View Post
          Anyone with any tips on key things tolook for ?
          g'day mate.
          as you say all the electrics work,thats a good starter. does the aircon work,check under the hood(before its started) for fuel and oil and water leaks.when you start look at the smoke it produces. black puffs can b edealt with, lots of gre/white smoke could indicate a possible cooling issue. take it for a spin, and get it up to temperature,make sure the needle goes no further than half way. when its hot get under the hood again and look for any signs of fluids leaking again.as its an import it should be relatively rust free,check that the 4wd works by
          a. pressing the button on the transfer lever

b. pushing the transfer lever into low 4

do not drive on tarmac with the 4wd engaged.

if all this works and you think its worth it offer him £1300, and go up to £1500 alternatively look at the surfs for sale on this site, their provenance is well know (usually)

good luck.
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

welcome dude
            iam the one who cant spell

not much thats not been said mate
            just have a good look around the under side for oil marks
            look around the diff gearbox and engine
            pop the hud and wipe the back of the bulk head to see if its full of soot
            that will tell ya if its blowing from the turbo or manafold

if ya want to know if its been off road
            put ya fingers into the lip just under any wheel arch if its set solid with mud its been off road coz no one cleans them out
            if its got non of the above its not a bad buy
            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Many Thanks for comments

I am duly armed with all I need for the test drive tomorrow.

Will also look at Surfs for Sale on here too

Thanks Again

Comment

Originally posted by Singlek View Post
                Many Thanks for comments

I am duly armed with all I need for the test drive tomorrow.

Will also look at Surfs for Sale on here too

Thanks Again
                let us know if you have it or not mate
                lot of power in them 3ltr's
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

hope it's what ure looking for mate.
                  if not thought i'd mention the one i spotted today...

it's a black over grey m plated 3.0 ssrx auto with 97k could've been 77k?
                  body and paint are in VERY good nick,it's got a bullbar n stainless sparewheel cover, stereo and the interior looks very good too.

although it was locked up and i never heard it running,it does seem a good motor. the ad price is £2150 ono (i think)

it,s in tamworth,so only down the road from u really
                  parked up on the roadside with a for sale sign in the window on pennymore way in stoneydelph

drop me a pm if u want the telephone number to arrange a viewing

Comment

Many many thanks for all your advice

I took it all on board and decided against the Surf - they wouldnt budge on price

I did however use the same advice and buy an L plate Pajero Exceed 2.8 for £1200 (not the same I know but I hope you wont think of me as too much of a sell out)

I know this will mean I wont post on here again but I did want to say thank you for your advice

I still love the Surfs and with a bit of luck will own one in the future

Best Regards

Comment

Working...
                    X